200 Daily Driver or Beater (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if you guys are using your 200 as a daily driver or do you run another vehicle to save you machine for its intended use . I live in the greater northeast between New York and Philadelphia ... You can‘t have anything nice as a daily driver .
My last 2018 land cruiser all it did would collect dents in the 2 1/2 years I had the truck .
My ride to work is only a few miles and if its nice or meh I ride the adventure bike .
I have been thinking of a beater like a 4cyl Tacoma .
Any Thoughts

I've never understood the point of driving a s***ty vehicle 95% of the time to "save" your nice one. I care about enjoying the vehicle I'm in, and will always daily something I consider nice.

DD for sure

Daily drove a 100 for 400k+ miles and daily driving the 570 now. Why would you want to daily a car of lesser quality/reliability/SAFETY is beyond me.

I’ll keep my 12mpg V8 gas hogs for as long as possible. Car manufacturers can keep their high revving tin cans.

Minivan daily...i drive 100 miles round trip everyday to work. LC on weekends or when weather turns bad.

(10% rain is considered bad enough for me to take LC! :D )

And with gas prices dropping.......maybe cloudy weather is enough to be considered “severe” weather In my book.

In 6 months, i have put on 10k miles on my LC. So yeah, i have driven it more than usual.

My 200 is a garage queen. I daily drive my 100 and don't worry where I park or care about door dents. Other than 10k annual vacation miles, we only put about 10k total on all three vehicles combined per year around town.

I work from home so my 200 is grocery getter, wife to dinner, every 2 to 3 week road trip, yearly road trip etc... However I share that work load minus the yearly with T100 and Motorcycle. I tow a boat about every 2 to 3 weeks and share that with T100. Wife drives on average 4 days a week to and from work in her car. My 2 to 3 week road trips are 230 miles one way. Boat towing is about 30 miles one way. Yearly trip is 800 miles one way.

DD here. When we moved, we downsized from three to two vehicles, and had to choose which we each wanted to drive. No room for more cars in the stable.

Figure these are not cheap vehicles and I want to have this 200 last as long as possible , for daily use people are just rude and don’t care .
I would rather pick up a cheap 4cyl Tacoma pickup and run that than the LC .
I try and use the swiss army knife of motorcycles during the warm months , Suzuki Vstrom 650 is the land cruiser of bikes .

Get the pickup.
I have 5-6 vehicles and purchased an 80s Toyota 4x4 after the LC200. I pretty much only drive the pickup now. It's so slow but a lot of fun.

Also you didn't mention if you had a KTM but if you do then you'll need a way to get it to the shop.

Last edited:
From another perspective, my 200 is my beater, of sorts. It shares the commuting mileage I put on my 911 Turbo, roughly 60/40.

I'm with @eatSleepWoof . I buy nice things to use them. I'm not leaving any protective plastic on. I'm not saving the GF for the next guy sorta thing.

Enjoy what you have and indulge it to the fullest. Is it worth paying the high purchase and sustainment costs not to enjoy it? Then further add costs for a beater?

Insurance is there for incidentals. Though I do understand how it might suck to live in a place where door dings are the norm. Put some armor on her?

Figure these are not cheap vehicles and I want to have this 200 last as long as possible , for daily use people are just rude and don’t care .
I would rather pick up a cheap 4cyl Tacoma pickup and run that than the LC .
I try and use the swiss army knife of motorcycles during the warm months , Suzuki Vstrom 650 is the land cruiser of bikes .
I thought the KLR650 was the Land cruiser of bikes. You know old tech, reliable, needs some upgrades for off-road riding.

BMW R1200GS is the Land Cruiser of the adventure bike world: big, capable, overweight and expensive. The KLR650 is the Hilux. lol

Sorry, back on topic: I don't have any garage queen vehicles. They all get used as intended. I have cars that I drive more in good weather, and the Land Cruiser that I use the rest of the time. The Land Cruiser is my go-to vehicle.

Then again, I don't live or drive in a city, so maybe that colors my perspective.

Daily drove a 100 for 400k+ miles and daily driving the 570 now. Why would you want to daily a car of lesser quality/reliability/SAFETY is beyond me.

I’ll keep my 12mpg V8 gas hogs for as long as possible. Car manufacturers can keep their high revving tin cans.
As did I. Daily drove my 100 for 17 years / 400k miles. Now daily drive my 200 in Seattle traffic. Door dings can be removed cheaply so i would never drive a beater if I had a choice. I do have a Subaru Outback but only for times when i cant get the 200 in a low clearance parking garage. My 100 now happily sits at my place up north, along with my 60.

“Safety” is relative. Other vehicles, even lots of beaters, can do a better job of avoiding the accident in the first place, whether it be reduced stopping distance or stability in emergency maneuvers. A 200 will do impressive things but you can’t escape it being a 6000lb money safe on wheels.

My DD is a 2006 diesel Mercedes. Can be had relatively cheap, great mileage and very enjoyable to drive, and helps me keep miles off the cruiser because I want to keep it a very long time. I have no doubt that the 200 will go to 400k+, but that can happen pretty quick when you drive as much as I do.

If I want to drive something really nice or just to mix it up, need to haul something, obviously towing, or the real goal.. roadtrips... I take the cruiser.

Mostly for the trails/occasional long road trips. But like others say can't justify a cheap beater for a daily. Use the Avalon for work commute since I do anywhere from 70-100 miles a day

We got my wife a 200 in December. She hates driving it to work because it’s already been dinged a few times. Seems like someone is inevitably parking inches from her. She goes out to check on it several times a day.
So I often drive my 40 and she drives my Tacoma.

When returning to my parked vehicle I noticed a guy making a face like "Oh man" and a white Lexus moving in front of my LC.
She was an older English lady and got out of her car to investigate when I asked why she was hitting me.
I then had an insane conversation with the lady.
She stated that I was parked over the line and that she wasn't bumping into my vehicle. I think she must have had dementia.
+1 for old pickup

IMG_20180528_120926 (1).jpg

When returning to my parked vehicle I noticed a guy making a face like "Oh man" and a white Lexus moving in front of my LC.
She was an older English lady and got out of her car to investigate when I asked why she was hitting me.
I then had an insane conversation with the lady.
She stated that I was parked over the line and that she wasn't bumping into my vehicle. I think she must have had dementia.
+1 for old pickup

View attachment 2234181
time for a steel bumper... haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom