(2) Voltage Regulators... Why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a '40 with 2 voltage regulators on it. one is for the amp meter, the other is hooked up to a warning light.

That does not sound right to me. why is there 2 of them

The job of a voltage regulator is to control alternator output. That begs the question as to why you think one is connected to the amp meter or the second to a warning light?

The job of a voltage regulator is to control alternator output. That begs the question as to why you think one is connected to the amp meter or the second to a warning light?
Yeah, I know that it is connected to the alternator. But the wiring diagram shows one going to the warning light. The one hooked up to the warning light didnt make sense to me.

Here is a pic of the voltage regulator - according to the wiring schematic it is hooked up to a warning light. makes no sense to me!

12345.jpg

What year wiring diagram are you looking at?
This is from a Hayne's FJ40 Manual. On the left in the picture it states "Charge Warning Lamp Type" on the right it says "Alternator Type".

Just trying to figure out what they are talking about, it's use, etc. Is this an error or?

voltage regulator.jpg

This is from a Hayne's FJ40 Manual. On the left in the picture it states "Charge Warning Lamp Type" on the right it says "Alternator Type".

Just trying to figure out what they are talking about, it's use, etc. Is this an error or?

View attachment 3536175

That still doesn't tell me what year FJ-40 the diagram is from. The only thing it shows me is there were two different voltage regulators depending on if yours has warning light or ammeter.

There are 2 different voltage regulators depending on your system. For example, this is from my 1977 shop manual (FSM):

A23E8A12-6E72-4364-80E8-81161DD15E29.jpeg

Last edited:
Throw the Haynes manual in the bin and use the FSM...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom