2-speeds on a single speed (1 Viewer)

Debating adding a 2nd speed to my single to ease the 5+ mile ride to the trailhead. Can either go with a 2nd cog on the rear and adjust the front eccentric to tension the chain or add a 2nd chain ring and a chain tensioner like the Surly Singleator. Thoughts?

2mbb

SILVER Star

It might help to have just a little more information--what kind of bike, what gears do you want, etc.

You can do what you say above, or you can do both--something like this, and most likely not need the tensioner: My Fixed/free 1-speed/2-speed/3-speed Mountain Bike.

But I wonder why you would want the bother. If you need gears, just use a geared bicycle.

Specialized Rockhopper SS SL

Currently have 32 - 20, which is nice for the trails but is a little quick for getting there and back.

Just a thought I had, but agree that I'll probably settle in on a single speed and make it work. Trying out a 17t cog for the next couple of weeks so we'll see how it goes.

Probably just need to HTFU. :D

Will two gears fit on the cassette hub? If you have a closely matching difference, you won't have to retention. A 34:18 or 36:16 is very close to the same chain length as a 32:20.

Seems like a lot of "tinkering' to do at the trailhead. I've an internal geared, 3-speed hub on my commuter, I've often thought it'd be sweet to have that (in the right gear ratios) on my SS.

32-18 is okay riding to the trailhead, but I only have to go about 2 miles to get there. I went 32-16 for a while and that was definitely better on the flats, but about killed me on the longer climbs.

I have 5 miles up hill that are not too bad but the 5 miles home were the worst. I started to just play more on the way home. Trying to find stairs or a curb, whatever to liven up the ride home.

Why not get a flip-flop hub? I had one for a little while - fixed on one side, freewheel on the other. Was nice to have sometimes.

Why not get a flip-flop hub? I had one for a little while - fixed on one side, freewheel on the other. Was nice to have sometimes.
If he's got a casette hub he can easily do two gears. I like fixed gear too, but not so much off road.

It's not really tinkering at the trailhead, just flip the QR, move the chain over, and flip it back. You don't even have to pull the wheel all the way out.

Decided to stick to the single speed. Switched the rear cog to a 17 from the 20. We'll see how it goes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)