2 quickies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1. What side of this ignition is negative? Assuming one with less wires ... trying to hook up my new digital multimeter today tune the carb... and the what vacuum line do I plug the vac gauge into on the carb?

2. For the hardtop - how should I go about getting these screws here at the joint pieces in the back out without stripping them? They are lock washered and painted...I already began stripping one and but decided to hold up cowboy .. I’ve washed them in wd already

CFEB1721-D1FB-4328-82E9-E7A0F40748C0.jpeg

452EE0B3-62A7-429A-BAF8-FC8FE841A367.jpeg

726D7BFC-97C1-4235-9F25-392FCDF57933.jpeg

x2 on the impact screw driver, but you need to use it properly, very firm grip while keeping left rotating pressure on it, and a big ass hammer.. I've also used small vice grips successfully on those ones

For what ever reason I have had better luck with channel locks. I use a small pair with curved jaws.

With a hand impact and all screws, nuts and bolts actually have luck trying to tighten to break the seal. Not talking about beating a bunch of times until the head snaps off. Also on screws and bolts if the thread extended beyond the nut on the inside and doesn't just unscrew once it breaks free. I continue to screw the expose thread down with some kind of penetrating lube and as it get hard to unscrew I spray the thread again then screw in and then out. The hidden part of the thread will have crap on it and compresses tight inside the nut. A lot of times the screw will snap out flush with fixed nut. Requires patience and if I fell I'm rushing I walk away and come later. Nice about a hobby vehicle I have no time frame on when things have to be done.

I love this tool for those stubborn screws i normally need to drill out later
Amazon product ASIN B000BHJ7JM.
they are the ONLY way to get windshield hinge screws out..

The side with the black wire with the yellow stripe is +

if you look at the face of the coil there is a + and - above or below the post

black wires with yellow or white traces are grounds.

X3 impact driver

NO no no! White wire with a black tracer is a ground. On a 40 black with yellow is ignition / accessory, and black wire with white trace is the starter trigger wire.

Dyno

Those Phillip's heads I'd be soaking them with some sort of penetrating fluid over a few nights/everytime I walked past it, warm them up with a blow torch and then put the impact screw driver on them. If your really worried you could also try CRC freeze off as well.

I think they are sort of like driving through a muddy bog. You generally only get one shot at it, do the prep and make your first go your best go. If you go half assed and they strip then it's way more effort to get them out.

+1 for the shake n break. I rarely use it but when I do it’s a last resort and almost always works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom