1hz temperature sensor location (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to find the temperature sensor on a 1hz?

thanks

I'm trying to find the temperature sensor on a 1hz?

thanks

Upper coolant outlet .Im using a 3F sensor,works the same but is larger and has a different plug.
There are other temp sensors on the inlet manifold and block for the glow system.
robs pics 053 (Medium).jpg

Thanks,
But for some reason I don't have a sensor in that location. Is there any other place that Toyota placed these. Does the year matter. Mines a 92'.

Thanks

Thanks,
But for some reason I don't have a sensor in that location. Is there any other place that Toyota placed these. Does the year matter. Mines a 92'.

Thanks

That engine in my pic is a 93 AFAIK
Maybe you have the coolant outlet from a later model

Same issue: my water outlet doesn't have the temp sensor.
I did find a threaded hole in what I think is an oil cooler; by the oil filter. Only weird thing is the threaded hole is too small for any of the collection of OEM temp sensors.

Does the later 1HZ have a smaller temp sensor?!

That sender (green plug) is part of the glow control system. See my other response to your q

Same issue: my water outlet doesn't have the temp sensor.
I did find a threaded hole in what I think is an oil cooler; by the oil filter. Only weird thing is the threaded hole is too small for any of the collection of OEM temp sensors.

Does the later 1HZ have a smaller temp sensor?!

Mine is not in the oil cooler or the coolant outlet housing

I just went and took a pic for you .

It's in the head behind the oil filter .

P1000719.jpg

I thought it was in the oil cooler but lynchmob's post above made me go have a closer look it not in a very visible spot .

Last edited:
anyone knows by chance the thread size of the upper coolant sensor? (on the first picture)

Following up on this....

I have an FJ-60/62 sensor (to match the stock wiring), and an ISSPro gauge. Both will be used.

I also have the threaded hole in the block, and the threaded hole on the coolant outlet.

The question is: which should go where, and why.

I doubt it really makes a real difference, but since I'm doing it all custom I might as well do it "best" in every way possible, right?

Dan

Following up on this....

I have an FJ-60/62 sensor (to match the stock wiring), and an ISSPro gauge. Both will be used.

I also have the threaded hole in the block, and the threaded hole on the coolant outlet.

The question is: which should go where, and why.

I doubt it really makes a real difference, but since I'm doing it all custom I might as well do it "best" in every way possible, right?

Dan

The sensor on the coolant outlet is for the gauge on Australian spec vehicles. The one on the block (and the air temp sensor on the manifold),control the glow period.
But custom doesn't make a lot of difference. I personally like the one on the coolant outlet for the gauge because its the head that gets damaged 1st. A sensor half way down the engine block does not give you any indication of head temps.

Last edited:
The sensor on the coolant outlet is for the gauge on Australian spec vehicles. The one on the block (and the air temp sensor on the manifold),control the glow period.
But custom doesn't make a lot of difference. I personally like the one on the coolant outlet for the gauge because its the head that gets damaged 1st. A sensor half down the engine block does not give you any indication of head temps.

Just to be clear: here's what I'm working with....
coolant sensors.jpg

I thought that the sensor in the oil cooler is for the glow system.

I'm thinking putting the stock gauge in the coolant outlet pipe, and the aftermarket sensor in the head makes the most sense--because I assume that the head is where the highest temperature will be seen--and I'd just as soon have the most accurate indication be the most critical.

I'm probably overthinking this, but still want to do it "best" to the largest extent possible.

Dan

I've been unable to get an accurate gauge reading, with the same vintage gauge as the 62, be it the temp sensor on the block side that fed the HZ in it's previous home, a newer HZ/FZ coolant passage sensor, or the original 60/62 coolant passage sensor that came on the VM originally.

Can't seem to get the correct delay for the glow plug timer from any sensor, either.....plus the oil pressure gauge didn't accurately reflect with either the old HZ, new HZ, or the 60/62 oil pressure sender that the VM came equipped with either.

Oddly, they all worked prior to the swap, at least registered between the operating ranges on the OE gauge cluster.

Anyone have the part number for the 1HZ temp sensor .. ?

It looks like it's not the same ( to me on my EPC ) as the 1HD-T ..?

Which sensor?
Gauge water temp sender is 83420-16040. I think that's the one that plugs into the coolant outlet from the head , same as mine.
Water temp sensor 89422-20010 Looks like it goes vertically into the front of head.

Anyone know the exact difference between a sensor and a sender?

Last edited:
On my hzj80 the coolant outlet sensor is for the aircon cut off switch, the sender between the pump and oil filter is for the glow system and the one up under the intake towards the back is the coolant temp sender.

On my hzj80 the coolant outlet sensor is for the aircon cut off switch, the sender between the pump and oil filter is for the glow system and the one up under the intake towards the back is the coolant temp sender.

This is what we discovered last week with my FZJ to HDJ conversion. We swapped the FZJ sensors over as I still will be using the FZJ instrument cluster. All of those moved over perfectly...same thread pitch, same sensor depth, proper plugs to fit the modified FZJ loom.

This is what we discovered last week with my FZJ to HDJ conversion. We swapped the FZJ sensors over as I still will be using the FZJ instrument cluster. All of those moved over perfectly...same thread pitch, same sensor depth, proper plugs to fit the modified FZJ loom.

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I have just purchased an LC105 with a 1HD-T conversion from a 80series LC.
According to the buyer the temp gauge has never worked, and I need to sort out what the problem is.

As you wrote that you brought all the sensors from your old car to the new one, that got me thinking this might do the
trick.

My problem is that it's really hard to find what sensor to change as I have not seen a pic as good as the one in this thread showing
a 1HD-T. Is the engine layout the same as on the picture, with the sensor to be changed sitting under the oil filter, or behind it?

I also have one connector at the end of the same loom that connects to the "seven o'clock oil filter" sensor. The one at the end of it, completely filled with silicone and not connected to anything. Can anyone tell me where this one might go?

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow but would be very grateful for any ideas.

Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom