Builds 1HZ-T HZJ78 All-Climate Expo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

which make are they? semirigid?
I still have brunton solar roll 2x 4.5 and 9, enough to charge batteries or sat phone. but they have huge surface compared to the given output.

which make are they? semirigid?
I still have brunton solar roll 2x 4.5 and 9, enough to charge batteries or sat phone. but they have huge surface compared to the given output.
i have the Projecta 120W, they have some flex to them, but yeah, much bigger footprint than the fixed equivalent, but i couldn't mount 240W fixed with a RTT anyway. the thin unprotected 5m cables need to be replaced, for occasional weekenders they'd probably last, but for constant handling and rolling up, and to reduce losses, i'll replace them with something decent.

Last edited:
IMG_20161111_2216587.jpg

A bit of lift

Just kidding, been installing airbags, wasn't as simple as I hoped, hope to finish the front tomorrow

Just happened to see this but we do stock these in a 29 spline or even the 2007 and newer 32 spline pinion

well no closer to glory, more dodgyness on the repair sides of things. today as everything was getting put back together, found out that the rear diff gear and pinion had been changed out for one with a narrower pinon (same 4.3 gear at least), as the new oil seal and pinion flange didn't fit! After a bit of measuring and detective work I've determined the pinion shaft they put in is 13% thinner (surface area), so i'm not sure what to do... could be another long while off the road if i can't get a new set locally :(

i posted in the general section for some general advice on whether i should just stick with it or findf an original, i'm still on the fence tonight
Advice from diff experts?

Just happened to see this but we do stock these in a 29 spline or even the 2007 and newer 32 spline pinion
turned out my vehicle appeared to be partly assembled before the transition to a new part number brought out before mine left the factory, or some other explanation as to why i had the same parts as vehicles a couple of months earlier and not those listed for my VIN. I would have had to change a number of parts not in stock to install the newer improved parts, so I just sourced the parts I was missing that were in stock as she was already off the road. if and when the next service of those parts happens, I'll pre-source all the other newer parts required to complement those i already have.

Front coil airbag install.

Pretty simple, cut a few 1" holes

One in the skirt
IMG_20161113_1041185.jpg

One in the spring support
IMG_20161113_1041081.jpg

And one in the cone
IMG_20161113_1041545.jpg

The original cup and rubber are offset, and held in place with a bolt as the cone base also isn't perfectly aligned with the bottom spring mount, but I'm assuming (hoping) the airbag will always rest in the same offset position and not cut the airline. I wasn't comfortable with that at first, and did a lot of pondering, but I added the large grommets and am hoping for the best. The supplier later said it will hold its position so I guess it will be fine.

Grommets in place
IMG_20161113_1135019.jpg

IMG_20161113_1134413.jpg

Last edited:
Installed before lowering the body
IMG_20161113_1331487.jpg

Opted for four separate and simple filler valves, simple and reliable and as short as possible

One near battery
IMG_20161113_1331096.jpg

On the right side found a spot between prefilter and first filter. I'm using a simple wireless tyre pressure monitoring system on each valve to keep an eye on the pressure in case a line gets cut.
IMG_20161113_1330185.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't like the blue colour, no colour options unfortunately, but thanks to the cone the airbag sits below the wheel height and isn't visible usually... I would paint them black (like my Tonka truck yellow springs) but apart from wearing off and looking worse, you never know if a chemical coating would degrade the material, so blue it is

Just waiting for a bit of free time later this week to install the rear bags

Last edited:
Started playing with the tuning as well lately. I am very happy with how it drives, but I was getting +650•C temps preturbo at near full boost / throttle. Had no smoke whatsoever under any load situation so first experiment was to simply up the fuel, as I am not going to touch the turbo configuration, first quarter turn, then half a turn. Temps have since exacerbated, not any notable change in power, so I'll be returning to what it was, but first I want to drive it just a little.

I really need to get my finger out and install my air/fuel probe before going any further with tuning, still trying to juggle the order of things as I really need to finish the alternator and split dc-dc charger system before I start the new electrical accessory wiring ... I might need to do a list to get organised one of these days!

One measured up and ready to fit. As I'm going to strip and paint later on, I'm removing all the goo and I'll just install them with foam backing for now... three more to go. I'm thinking a bit of black liquid electrical tape over the screws will be in order.

IMG_20161125_1810283.jpg

Also, just a bit of advice for anyone considering these... its chau to the interior trim around the windows, not possible to fit it either beforehand or afterwards. It makes no difference to me as my interior is getting the carpeted camper finish which will cover the bolt holes and I'll have furniture right up to the intruding frame, but I can imagine their not for anyone wanting a classic stock or even just a neat finish... these photos isn't the finished product, was just checking the alignment of the bolt holes, but you can see how much they intrude inside and how the tight fit cancels out the possibility of using trim.

IMG_20161125_2241236.jpg
IMG_20161125_2241293.jpg

Last edited:
The other thing to consider if installing the gullwings is that you might need to cut and polish or paint the recess that has never seen the light of day since the factory, especially if it's been resprayed. Just as they intrude in the interior, they are no longer flush with the body. These were designed for tradesman, not purists.

IMG_20161126_1055208.jpg

IMG_20161126_1204509.jpg

One down, three to go
IMG_20161126_1419213.jpg

Should mention that they are custom, normally have full glass and only 2 horizontal latches. The normal ones do look a lot better I think, but that wasn't in my criteria

Those are autotecnica seats right? (saw those in @Billyfj7312ht build) Look forward to hearing your opinion on them. Have you installed them yet?
Nah, they are still sitting where the photo was taken, and they are well down on the hierarchy of things to do so it might be months before I get around to it. Yes they are the autotecnica, they seem comfy, but only time will tell. Certainly better than what I have currently. I just hope they at least last until we get to the US, if they aren't up to the task I'll change them out there, but in the meantime freighting recaro's or something similar to Peru is just stupidly crazy expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom