1HD FTE Misfiring & HardStart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's good news. What an ordeal.

When I was an apprentice a teacher told us 60-70% of the breakdowns you do will be as a result of a repair someone has already performed.

Glad you've got it fixed.

IMG-20180112-WA0006.jpg

Talk about a needle in a haystack! Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Hi! Tried to comment on your Youtube vids, but I guess you don’t monitor it. Please, I’m just in the door of buying a 100 1HD-FTE which has the same knock as in your first video. Not too loud, but I can heat it. Is that normal for these engines?

Hi! Tried to comment on your Youtube vids, but I guess you don’t monitor it. Please, I’m just in the door of buying a 100 1HD-FTE which has the same knock as in your first video. Not too loud, but I can heat it. Is that normal for these engines?

This is difficult to answer. I would say you should not be able to hear a knock, but they are mechanical things that do make noise as they compress fuel at high speed.
I would either factor a few thousand into the purchase price for a rebuild or get a professional opinion from a diesel injection shop.
The noise could be the reason the owner wants to sell.

This is difficult to answer. I would say you should not be able to hear a knock, but they are mechanical things that do make noise as they compress fuel at high speed.
I would either factor a few thousand into the purchase price for a rebuild or get a professional opinion from a diesel injection shop.
The noise could be the reason the owner wants to sell.

But it only has 150k miles on the ODO, I thought these engines were fine for some 5-600k miles at least?

The sound is also audible in OPs latest video, ticking/knocking, I'd say with every rev of the crank.

But it only has 150k miles on the ODO, I thought these engines were fine for some 5-600k miles at least?

Nothing is guaranteed to last that long. Most of them do some high miles. . The pump may not be absolutely buggered, but they are pricey to fix.The pumps never last as long as the engine, maybe 2/3 the engine life.
5-600000 thousand miles is at the upper levels. My guess is most would start going downhill after 250000 and at 400000 being fairly tired. City driving and driving them 20 mins to work and back each day is the biggest destroyer of all engines. The high milers are engines that never cool down or are from rural areas and have been maintained to a high degree. You only need one bad owner.

Just so you know, the 1HD FTE pump assembly price is $3200USD from partsouq for a new one. Probably 2/3 of that to rebuild.
The pump on the one you want to buy maybe a simple fix but just listening to videos wont tell you much. It might not even be the pump, maybe something inside the engine.

Hello

I have a 100 series 1hd fte in the uk

I had the same problem, i code read it same code as you. I removed the covers to find the wiring very tight ! In fact the insulated part into the plug was slightly damaged, wiggled the plug and problems fixed.

Why is the wiring so tight?

My car has done 330,000 miles

@Joshua Korir
@mike harris

Any update on the issue being fixed? Still good and no further issues? Thank you in advance for any updates guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom