1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1HD FTE Misfiring & HardStart

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by Joshua Korir, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

Hello Guys,

I have a 1hd fte with a misfire and rough idle that shakes the car slightly. We serviced the 6 injectors and replaced the tips and did calibration. Vehicle is still misfiring. The vehicle is also experincing a hard start in the morning followed by a huge puff of white smoke. During the day vehicle will start fine, but still blow some white smoke.
    I have been told to advance the pump and see if it cures it. Can I get more details on how to advance the pump and what are the specs/ranges.
    From ECU there are no trouble codes, but managed to read the following values at engine idle:
    1. Injection Timing: 14.2CA
    2. Injection Volume: 4.023mm3/st

Cheers.

2. mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

Do you have a hand prime pump on the fuel filter housing?
    If you prime it with hand pump, do you still get a hard start?
    Does it idle smooth of you keep pulling 5 hand prime pump while it's idling?

Air in the fuel system could be a possible cause of hard starting, rough idle and white smoke

3. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

Yes the vehicle has a hand pump, and I pumped it once but the vehicle still had a hard start and white smoke. I haven't tried pumping it while idling to see if the rough idle/ misfire will go.
    How can I get rid of the air, or how do i start checking for air leaks on the system. Thanks.

4. Loober

Loober

Crack the injector lines and crank the motor until you have some leakage coming out, then tighten them back up.

5. GTSSportCoupe

GTSSportCoupe

Advancing the electronic pumps usually doesn't do anything. The timing is controlled by the electronics. It'll just compensate for what ever position the pump is in. The computer reads out the crank position and pump position, and adjusts timing accordingly.

I agree with what the guys above are say. Very likely air is getting into the system. The hand primer itself could be the problem, as they are known to wear out and leak air.

6. mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    gerg likes this.
  7. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

Thanks
    Will test it tomorrow morning and see if it is soft. Will replace it and see How it goes then report back. Cheers

8. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

Cool. Wil give it a try.

9. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

Can the hand primer cause a slight misfire as well and white smoke in the morning

10. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

So this I assume is to fix a suspected air bubbles/leaks in the system. What position do I loosen the injector lines. Next to the pump or on top cover.

11. mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

Oops, wrong YouTube link.

The correct one has been posted.

Yes, air getting into the fuel system potentially will screw up the advance and idle

Incorrect timing can cause white smoke. White smoke is due raw/unburnt fuel

12. Loober

Loober

Yes, if you had to remove your injectors or pump, then you most likely have air trapped similar to when you run out of fuel, you should crack them at the injectors, enough to break the seal, should be obvious when you see diesel dripping out.

13. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Bleed the injectors one at a time with the engine running. Just open it up enough till bubbles stop coming out then re tighten.
    The air could be coming in via the fuel filter seal or one of the fuel lines to the pump. They are the most common places.
    White smoke is from combustion that is too cool . Can be caused by air , incorrect shimming of injectors or timing too advanced.
    But air is the most common.

14. mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

White smoke is from un-burnt fuel. Does that equal combustion that's too cool?
    Air in the fuel disrupts the injection timing so much that fuel didn't get burnt.
    When I had an air leak (you tube video above), it would chug out white smoke, and you could smell raw fuel in the cab while driving.

I think the low combustion temp is a byproduct of unburnt fuel/messed up timing

15. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

Those symptoms are exactly what am experiencing. Smell of diesel fumes in the truck while driving. The intake heater might not be working in my case, hence the white smoke. Will be checking all this today and give feedback later. Cheers for the pointers to possible causes.

16. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

Will also check the seals and probably replace them as well.

17. mudgudgeon

mudgudgeon

The intake heater has nothing to do with it IMO, unless you're deep in Canadian interior in winter.
    It's common to remove the intake heater completely.

18. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Most of the time it just needs to be removed and retightened. If your filter is old, maybe replace it to eliminate one thing.

19. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes
    The way I understand it( I have an old diesel injection text book from one of the state education depts., the type apprentices mechanics have)
    It says that when the timing is advanced the fuel enters the combustion chamber and hits the cyl walls . The "whiteness" is from condensation.
    Obviously its not the only way you can get white smoke. Other ways are bad glow plugs or low compression, but these are also symptoms of combustion that is too cool.
    Timing can be advanced because of weak injector springs allowing the injector to open early, or from a badly adjusted pump.

To burn the fuel properly, the fuel needs to enter the combustion chamber when the air is fully compressed and white hot. It instantly combusts as its sprayed in. I guess it would look like a flame thrower if you could view it in slow motion.

And black smoke is from either too much fuel or a spray pattern that that inhibits a proper swirl pattern

20. Joshua Korir

Joshua Korir

Ok. Thanks for the info. Will be replacing the hand primer shortly and bleed from the fuel lines. Hoping this cures the issue, especially the diesel fumes in the truck while driving. will update.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">