1FZFE advice - "DIY" rebuild or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I've lurked a while and been able to keep my DD 95 FJ80 (245K miles) on the road with all the info here. I need more help.

I've got a HG leak I am guessing-- strong smell of coolant in exhaust and having to top off the reservoir. AND after fixing a bunch of oil leaks (distrib, crankshaft, oil pump) it is still needing oil topped off way too frequently and I have not found the cause.

Do I pull the head and get outside help or is it wise to swap in a rebuilt engine? I want to do as much as I can myself (besides the engine shop for the head) but I am an amateur. I've successfully replaced the radiator, PHH, starter 2x, oil pump seal, crankshaft seal, distributor O-ring, but nothing as deep as the head or swapping.

If doing the head is best-- where's a good TLC shop in the Raleigh/Durham area? I'm in Hillsborough.

I think you could pull the head and do it yourself, taking the head to a machine shop for surfacing and installing stem seals. Having tools, or good access to them, and a garage would be highly suggested. If I can do it, so can you! But, if it's your DD I'd find/borrow a vehicle for the duration. Beno is your friend, as is the FSM.

Had the HG done at 245k and the rest of the motor looked good had to fix all the same oil leaks did all the hose's water pump rad. and she running strong lots off life still in these motors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom