1Fz-fe new starter motor grinding noise at the end of a start (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,
I got a 1998 1fz-fe 105 series with automatic transmission. I took it to the mechanic to get the alternator and the starter motor changed over the weekend. After I got my car back I immediately noticed that there was a grinding noise when I start the car. The grinding noise only happens at the end of a start or immediately after the engine starts. (No matter how fast I release the key. The grinding noise is right after the engine starts). however the grinding noise stops immediately after I release the key. The starter motor is a brand new aftermarket one. Not original equipment ( The original equipment starter was out of stock) The mechanic told me because of its a new starter with new gears, it takes sometime to break in, and asked me to come back in a month if the grinding noise doesn’t go away.
I’ve done a lot of research on starter motor grinding noise over the last few days, but can’t find any reason why the grinding noise only happens at the very end of a start on an auto transmission.
Please any help would be appreciated. It drives me crazy and it’s hard to wait for a month.

MoJ

Proven source of misinformation
My first thought is a bad rebuilt starter, incorrect starter, sticking etc. I’ve never heard of a 1fz starter needing a break in period. It’s pretty hard to screw up a starter install on a 1fz.

hadacol

SILVER Star
I’m having this issue too, tho intermittently. Did you get it figured out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom