1FZ-FE engine into a FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"It also has it's own t-case."

I am installing a 1FZ in my 55 with an H150F. The trans is floating here soon. I have been told the transfer from the auto would bolt up. What is the difference? Definitely buy a whole wrecked 80 and part out the rest to recoupe It is nice to have the vehicles side by side for the swap

tiger,
not to nit pick on you but the conversion kit for the part time 4 wheel drive ( from marks in aus ) is only available for the 91-92 model 80 series. not the fzj (93+) the earlier trucks use a spider gear set in the transfer. the laters use a viscous coupler. So if you get the older model transfer then you also have the 3FE wich while a slightly more powerful than your 2F will still have the issues of mating to the trans.
There are a few of the 80 guys running with a manually locked cdl and lockouts on the front end, however this entails dropping the driveline most of the time so It can be a royal pain in the neck. this gets you into the 1fz motor but not really a selectabel transfer case.

FWIW,
I would love to see a rolled fzj with e lockers decorated like a 60. coils are good and Christo Slee and co. are doing some cool things as far as springs and caster correction. I know it gives you the sluch box but having coils instead of leafs seems a small price to pay.

Dave

PHAEDRUS said:
tiger,
not to nit pick on you but the conversion kit for the part time 4 wheel drive ( from marks in aus ) is only available for the 91-92 model 80 series. not the fzj (93+) the earlier trucks use a spider gear set in the transfer. the laters use a viscous coupler. So if you get the older model transfer then you also have the 3FE wich while a slightly more powerful than your 2F will still have the issues of mating to the trans.
There are a few of the 80 guys running with a manually locked cdl and lockouts on the front end, however this entails dropping the driveline most of the time so It can be a royal pain in the neck. this gets you into the 1fz motor but not really a selectabel transfer case.

FWIW,
I would love to see a rolled fzj with e lockers decorated like a 60. coils are good and Christo Slee and co. are doing some cool things as far as springs and caster correction. I know it gives you the sluch box but having coils instead of leafs seems a small price to pay.

Dave

The conversion kit for the US models with a full time t-case
I drove a Venezualan spec FZJ80 with a EFI 1FZ-FE automatic trans and PART TIME transfercase.

When I did my research, I was talking to Marv at Specter offroad. He was telling me that the only H151 transmission availabe was part time, I guess that is what he had in stock at the time.

IFZFE in a FJ60- Conversion under way.

I'm right in the middle of doing an engine conversion in my 83 fj60. I'm installing a complete drivetrain (engine, trans, trasfercase) from a 1996 fj80.

I have done engine conversions on quite a few of my other vehicles already, and I am hoping that this will be one of the cheapest and easiest conversions I have to so far.

So far, so good. I've got the engine in place and mounted. most of the engine connections have been made. Still need to fabricate a new trans crossmember, make a/c connections, and A LOT more electrical to do.
2011-11-26 14.47.20.jpg

I'm right in the middle of doing an engine conversion in my 83 fj60. I'm installing a complete drivetrain (engine, trans, trasfercase) from a 1996 fj80.

I have done engine conversions on quite a few of my other vehicles already, and I am hoping that this will be one of the cheapest and easiest conversions I have to so far.

So far, so good. I've got the engine in place and mounted. most of the engine connections have been made. Still need to fabricate a new trans crossmember, make a/c connections, and A LOT more electrical to do.

Nice work!!

Looking forward to seeing this rolling.

This might be my next big project in the next couple of years.

:cheers:

Yes, I do plan on using the 60 radiator. It fits pretty nice. the stock 80 hoses hook right up to it. Only setback is that the 80 mechanical fan was hitting the lower hose and I will have to run an electric fan instead. Other thing is that I'm going to have to run a external trans cooler since the 60 rad had no cooler.
2011-12-17 16.24.07.jpg

don't know how big your fan is...but you might solve part of your issue with the radiator by relocating the bottom water neck on the raditaor to the far side of the tank. THat's what I had to do in order for my radiator fan to clear on my V-8 swap. (the edge of the passenger side tank, which moves it over about 2 inches or so near to the edge).

Last edited:
That was a thought that I had. Modify the radiator to allow fan clearance. I decided to spend the money on fans and not the radiator. I plan on running two fans, one smaller one on the front of the a/c condenser controlled by a/c pressure, and a larger main fan mounted on the back of the radiator controlled by engine temp.

Even if I moved over the radiator lower tank fitting, I would still have issues with getting the lower hose routed to it. The fj80 a/c compressor takes up all the room in that area and the fj60 frame has these angled tubes that are right in the way.

Would love to see how this series ends. Did Netflix not fund season 2? Such a cliff hangar.

Always wondered why this wasn’t a more common conversion. It seems like a great way to stay Toyota and get a little newer drive line without going to a full v8 or diesel. I’d still like to try and make an adapter if I can find a cheap block locally at some point.

@Svalts might have a supercharged 1FZ/H151 powered FJ62 soon ;)

I plan to turbo it with (at least part of) the kit from @NLXTACY.

I go back and forth on auto .vs H151 + HF1A.

I looked at doing this swap in my FJ40 a few years ago.
I had found a rolled 1996 FZJ80 with 110,000 miles on it that I wanted to use as a donor for $5800. I then started doing research.

I called SPector, and found out that the H55 tranny would not bolt behind the motor, you needed an H151. It also has it's own t-case. You needed a specific FLywheel, TO fork, TO bearing, clutch master and slave cylinder, and bellhousing. All of these things were available, and could be had, but it would be about 4-6 months before they could be delivered (MArv was bringing them over in a shipment from Australia, along with other goodies). Then I asked how much. Well, the bill from Spector was going to be nearly $6500. But that included rebuild kits for both the tranny and t-case, new slave cylinder, bearing and clutch kit as well as the pedal, clutch master, and hydraulic lines (this was a kit to put a manual into a NAS FZJ80), and low mileage take out H151 and t-case. (my choice full time or part time!)

From there I was going to need a new radiator, motor mounts, custom PS lines, rad hoses. Not to mention all of the other nickel and dime BS that was going to be needed for such a conversion.

In the end I decided that I would probably be money ahead by simply ripping the body off of the 80 series, and building my own FZJ-45 troopie, and retaining the AT (autos are NICE to wheel with, by the way).

Well, I lost my job about the time I was going to do this, and so I never went through.

Personally, I think that you would be better off getting a rolled 80 series, and putting your FJ60's tub on the frame.
I’m looking at doing that got the motor transmission and transfer case but I was wondering if the motor mounts were the same on the 40 so I could slip in the 80s motor any help?

Necessity for a new radiator would have been in the FJ40. A 4.5 Liter engine is going to produce more heat than a 4.2 liter engine. Also, there is more aluminum in a 1FZ than there is in a 2F. So taking care of heat is a good idea. (this is my thinking, the stock FJ40 radiator would probably have been sufficient, though, the thought would always be in the back of my mind...) .

That said, the FJ60 radiator would probably work just fine, as it's wider than an FJ40 radiator.

Most of the SOR bill was the Tranny, Transfer, and bellhousing. But the other parts aren't inexpensive either. ALot of the parts you will need can realistically only be sources from Spector. You can get other parts from your Toy dealership, but be prepared for sticker shock, long waits, and parts counter guys throwing their arms up in frustration.

As far as getting a tranny/t-case from South America, I would not make the mistake of not rebuilding and inspecting it beforehand. In other parts of the world, Land Cruisers are generall driven --->HARD<---. That $500 venezualen tranny may only have 40,000 miles on it, but if it came out of a mine truck (most likely with that few miles) it will have led a VERY hard life. I think it VERY unwise to not rebuild the tranny before putting it in your DD. Also, if the tranny you got from SA needs anything but bearings and seals, you are pretty much up a creek without a paddle. Gears, and shafts for an H151 aren't readily available in the US. They CAN be obtained, but they will cost lots of $$$.

OK, now that I am off my soapbox, I will tell you what I figured out from the research I did.

1. the 1FZ-Fe -H151 is a cool combo, however, you will be dealing with a transmission with an unknown history, with parts that are unobtainium.

2. A 3FE-H55 woudl be a better choice.
-a. primarily, because the engine aned transmission will BOLT RIGHT INTO the truck.
-b. you;ve got most of what you need already sitting there (bellhousing, flywheel, t-case, etc)
-c Parts are MUCH more easily obtained in the US.
-d you get fuel injection.

3. IF you need more power than a 3FE has to offer, you are money ahead to get an EFI Chev 350 V8. Mate it to an NV4500 with an AA to the t-case you already have. If you know people in junkyards, and can do the work yourslef, you can do this for 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of the 1FZ-FE H151 T-case.

4. If you want a 1FZ-FE keep it mounted behind the Auto transmission. If you want part time t-case, get the kit to change it to part time.

In light of all oif this, I know, it's a bitter pill to swallow., I am DREAMING of putting a 1FZ-Fe into my FJ40. Now that I know that a Crawl box is available for the 1FZ-FE A442 combo, that would make me more likely to put this in my own truck.

I really hope this helps.

-James
James did you ever get this done email me palfaro48@yahoo.com Im currently doing this swap the only issue I’m having is the motor mounts I have. A lot of questions if you did so far this is where I’m at this btw I’m going with original transmission and transfer case the engine came with short drive shaft about 20”-23”Long it had a 302 before carburetor and I was never happy with it but that’s the way I got it now here’s where I’m at so far

A9F3666E-755E-4D55-B849-CC56EBBBC85A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom