1FZ-FE / A343F install. Tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Aug 23, 2021
Threads
31
Messages
276
Location
MN, USA
Been chipping away at this build for the last year. I am finally ready to drop it in the truck.

I am a bit nervous about damaging something while maneuvering this beautiful monstrosity into the truck.

Any last words of advice before I proceed?

IMG_20260915_215807870_HDR.webp
 
Yes. Take the transfer case off and install after you get the engine trans comb installed. I see you have a balancing bar so you might be a little better off than my set up.

Take your time and go easy and slow. Are you up north or in the metro, if your close I might be able to lend a hand depending on timing and your location.
 
Are you up north or in the metro, if your close I might be able to lend a hand depending on timing and your location.
In the southern metro.

I haven't read about removing the t-case beforehand. Did you run into clearance issues with it installed?
 
In the southern metro.

I haven't read about removing the t-case beforehand. Did you run into clearance issues with it installed?

I are north of Brainerd a ways. We are house shopping in the metro though.

Well its more of a balance thing the Tcase is HEAVY and it makes it kinda hard to get every thing high enough to get it over the core support. but with a you adjustment point you might have a easier time getting the Tcase over the core support.
 
Move the truck instead of the hoist ( sure you already knew that). Go to the four ton hoist (I rented one at Ace True Value for half a day). Friends are mandatory for a stabbing party. Take the tires off if the hoist is struggling. All just ideas from an old man.
 
I lowered the air in my front tires and left the wheels on.

Pull the ac off the firewall

keep a good eye on the heater valve

Have a jack in the rear for the transmission

Pull the transfercase

I found it easier to have the engine mount isolators off and slip in when you get close.
 
Thanks for the replies on this!

I was hoping to avoid it, but I get the feeling I should pull my transfer case. :cool:
 
I've done this a couple times alone. But it helps to have someone else.
You don't need to remove the transfer case, but pull that black vibration dampener off it.
It also helps to have a come-a-long hooked to the rear of the transmission to keep things level and clear that front core support.
Put a blanket, cardboard or piece of wood across the core support to prevent scratches to the support or oil pan.
You might want to extend your hoist one more notch to give you a little more upward clearance.
I agree about leaving the engine mount isolators off until it's nearly in place.
If you have a low lift, you can air down the tires. A tall lift might require removing the wheels and dropping the axle on to jack stands.
If you haven't addressed them already, now is the time to remove or replace the rear heater lines.
Consider a thermal coating to the transmission tunnel.
Is your exhaust still in place? I found it easier to remove the exhaust manifold studs and then install them after the flanges are lined up.
Replace the rubber bushings on your transmission shift rods, clean up all the contacts and locker solenoids while you have easy access.

Good Luck!
 
If you haven't addressed them already, now is the time to remove or replace the rear heater lines.
Consider a thermal coating to the transmission tunnel.
Is your exhaust still in place? I found it easier to remove the exhaust manifold studs and then install them after the flanges are lined up.
Replace the rubber bushings on your transmission shift rods, clean up all the contacts and locker solenoids while you have easy access.

Good Luck!
I did replace the rear heater lines, but haven't considered coating the transmission tunnel. I think I may do that. What do you recommend?
 
I leave the TC on. You should remove the heater valve off the bulkhead- you should be replacing it anyway as part of the job. It's way easier to have it out of your way. Slip the engine mount isolators in once the engine is in place hovering over the mount pads on the frame. You'll definitely need a helper or two to line everything up as you slide the assembly into place. I usually lay under the truck and pick up on the tailshaft of the t-case to improve the angle as things get closer to their final position. You can do it manually or with a floor jack, but be sure your jack can roll fore and aft easily or it'll fall out of place.

Also, the job sucks with a cherry picker. A gantry crane is worlds easier to deal with, other than storing it.
 
Hey everyone here is overthinking. I've done it a few times never pulled the transfer case. That's for sure. Never really found anything special about it. Yep, it's big and heavy and long. That's 6 cylinder and a transmission, and a transfer case is always gonna be long.

Take a deep breath , sling it in there and bolt her in.


Mark...
 
I see a full case of quality beer (for quality help), two xlarge pizzas (lunch and dinner), and a full bottle of advil split among "friends" right there, I tell you what. :hillbilly:

I see you've bypassed the EGR, good job amigo. That ECU harness looks brand new :oops: Just out of curiosity, can that cherry picker safely pickup that load w/o buckling?
 
see you've bypassed the EGR, good job amigo. That ECU harness looks brand new :oops: Just out of curiosity, can that cherry picker safely pickup that load w/o buckling?
Yep. Harness is brand new. New short block and head, also.

The cherry picker is a 2 ton from Northern Tool. I pulled the motor and transmission without issues, but it's probably pretty close to it's limit.
 
Went ahead and installed it myself last night. Pulled the transfer case to make it easier to manage alone. There is no lift in this truck, but I still aired down my front tires to give me more clearance.

Went in without too much drama. Putting in the motor mounts last was definitely helpful.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
 
Went ahead and installed it myself last night. Pulled the transfer case to make it easier to manage alone. There is no lift in this truck, but I still aired down my front tires to give me more clearance.

Went in without too much drama. Putting in the motor mounts last was definitely helpful.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Sooooo... hows it run?

Certainly you stayed up all night and drove it to work today, right?
 
I lowered the air in my front tires and left the wheels on.

Pull the ac off the firewall

keep a good eye on the heater valve

Have a jack in the rear for the transmission

Pull the transfercase

I found it easier to have the engine mount isolators off and slip in when you get close.
I know for my truck i have a set of small 15 stock rims and tires that lower everything to make it easier.
 
Went ahead and installed it myself last night. Pulled the transfer case to make it easier to manage alone. There is no lift in this truck, but I still aired down my front tires to give me more clearance.

Went in without too much drama. Putting in the motor mounts last was definitely helpful.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
dude, you're a badass for doing it by yourself. You must be a strapping young man with a good back :flipoff2:
 
Back
Top Bottom