1FZ Desmog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems I can find plenty of info on other motors but only a few threads on the 1FZ and none of them go into any detail.
Looking to remove all the smog/emission equipment. Truck was sitting for 4 years in a field. Runs note but runs like crap. Wanting to delete as much unnecessary stuff as possible to try and narrow down issues.

will removing cat set code? Some say yes some say no. Anyone with experience?

anyone have any instructions on removing the rest of it? Assumed maybe it was taken down due to legal reasons. Truck will only be used as a off-road toy.
Thanks for any help

yeah, really need to know the year. the 93/94 trucks are very easy. the 95+ need a resistor to trick the EGR but a guy makes them on here and sells them cheap.

Sorry guys, early morning post from my “office”. It’s a 94 built 07/94

found it, @LC4LIFE with Hudd Expo has it. i bought some from him a while back and they worked great. about to order some more. i just sent him a 95+ clock for him to do some "testing" on so keep an eye out for new products. really great guy to deal with.

Sorry guys, early morning post from my “office”. It’s a 94 built 07/94

well no point in going back to ninja edit. i wouldnt dream of a full delete with the engine in the truck but you can try.

step one would just be shove a jumper wire into the EGR plug. that turns it off but its still there. on my 93 i made some block off plates while i was doing an engine rebuild and removed all the EGR.

another easy thing is to pull the PAIR system. the O2s bolt up in the same place. leave the old ones there to serve as plugs and buy new ones to move up to the manifold. you will also need to get a plug for the breather box. you can also cut out the cats if you want and then deal with the old O2s if you like.

how far down this rabbit hole are you wanting to go?

My uncle gave me this landcruiser after it started running rough and he let it sit for 4 years. So I did a complete tune up, fuel pump and filter. It starts and runs but runs rough, throws no codes. Trying to delete possible causes, stuck EGR valve, clogged cat, bad vacuum lines/ valves. I’m a diesel mechanic by trade by this is a different animal. The newer generation of mechanics are at a disadvantage without an OBD2 port.

Have you checked the accordian section of the intake tube for cracks. Common fault causing rough running even stalling from unmetered air entering after maf/vaf. Id start simple first.

Next would be inspect wiring harness at EGR pipe at back of head. Perhaps the wiring at the VAF .... do not remove the plug/harness.

So it ran rough before it was parked for 4 years? That rules out new components and possible rodent damage.

Egr delete on a 94 is easy. Hardest part is removing the pipe from the back of the head and applying the block off plate. It's as annoying as changing the phh. There is a good write up on here. I'll see if I can find it

Thanks for the quick replies. The cruiser was running rough when parked, we I got it it didn’t run at all. Turned out fuel pump was bad. I installed a new tank, old one leaked, and fuel pump. I took starting fluid to accordion hose while running and noticed no difference in engine rpm, but will pull and check again.

My suggestion is to forgo removing the emissions (SFI) as your first step in problem solving. As others have suggested vacuum leaks, leaking intake tube, heat damage to the main wiring harness as it passes by the EGR, someone removed the connector to the VAF by unscrewing it and pulling the wiring off the circuit board. You can download a copy of the FSM just search for "a hell of a price"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom