1999 Hilux KZN167/LN165

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Sep 22, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
1
Location
Central Arkansas
Hey everyone,
I picked up a 1999 Hilux double cab that was imported from Dubai earlier this year. It had an intermittent knock; it eventually blew the turbo (got that replaced), and then the radiator cracked at the bottom (just got an aluminum welded one in).

While I was waiting on the radiator to ship, I did some investigative maintenance,
To clarify the title, my VIN number shows the Hilux as an LN165 series, which should have the 5L motor; however, it has a 1KZ-TE that someone had swapped in, which makes it closer to a KZN167 now.

While investigating the knock, I found a broken fuel injector (all of them tested under pressure) that wasn't torqued in the head unit because of a broken pre-combustion chamber, and a cracked piston with a scratched cylinder wall. So we have pulled the engine to perform maintenance and try to keep this thing running. Once we broke the block down, we found that one of the harmonic stabilizers had also broken the bushing fitting in the short block and snapped off the gear that matched it to the timing system.

Now the short block is completely stripped down to the cast iron and bushings, and all the other parts are removed and being cleaned up.

I'll need to have the block housing re-bored (it currently has sleeves), and I don't know of any machine shops near me in central Arkansas (I'm new here) that are up to the task and trustworthy enough to get this block and head back to a serviceable state. If anyone knows a good place in Arkansas to take on a project like this, please let me know. I'm eager to get this Tiger rebuilt and back on the road.

I love this page and group; I've learned a bunch just by reading what's already been discussed here. You all have a wealth of knowledge.

IMG_2198.webp


IMG_3399.webp


IMG_3505.webp


IMG_3506.webp


IMG_3325.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom