1997 LX450 Pricing Advice! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow Mudders,

I am looking at joining the ranks of the 80 world and was hoping to get some pricing advice regarding a cruiser I stumbled across. It is by far one of the most comprehensive 80 series builds I have come across, and already has the majority of the big ticket maintenance items addressed. I am seriously considering pulling the trigger, but figured I would solicit some last minute comments. Owner is asking a pretty penny and is not budging... I think its a bit high, but you just dont see turn-key 80s with this level of attention for sale everyday. I intend to use it for back country camping and overlanding here in Colorado. I know a vehicle is worth the amount a buyer is willing to pay... am I crazy or do I just have the cruiser bug bad?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Here are some of the details:
1997 LX450 w/ 140k Miles
ARB Front/Rear Air Lockers
ARB Front Bumper w/ Superwinch 12.5SR (Synthetic Rope)
OME Heavy Suspension
Slee Rear Swingout Bumper
Slee Sliders
Eezi-Awn Roof Rack
Eezi-Awn Batwing Awning
Eezi-Awn Roof Top Tent
ARB Drawer System
ARB 50QT Fridge/Freezer
Yaesu HAM Radio
Safari Snorkel
Powergate Dual Battery System with Die Hard Platinum Batteries
Rear Steel Cargo Cage
RAM IPad Mount

Major maintenance items within the last 3 years include all new rubber under the hood (belts, PHH, hoses), New OEM Radiator, New OEM EGR Valve, New Brake Master Cylinder, all completed at Camelback Toyota (owner had shipped to). All fluids replaced within the last few years.

She sure is beautiful!

IMG_2258 (1).JPG
IMG_2281 (6).JPG
IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2253.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_2267.JPG
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG
IMG_2288.JPG

I would say it's in the ballpark. To rebuild the head and replace everything that you can while you have it off only runs about $4000 on the high end if you do it yourself. At that point you would be in for $21,000 and I think it's safe to say that you could fetch that if you sell it on eBay.

Not sure how much all of the accessories are worth, but it's probably at least $3000. The rest of it looks incredible and if you keep it rust free, that is only going to make sure that the truck goes up in value. There are really only so many of these left in that condition with those miles.

If you have the means to buy it, I don't think you will lose money if you keep it looking like that. If you abuse it, it will drop in value in a hurry though.

If you've got the $$$ it's probably worth it.

As we see on a nearly every-day basis here on the forum: if you don't buy it right now it'll be gone. Well maintained 80's are hard to find. Well maintained and well built 80's are even more rare as many people swap accessories to their new trucks, or sell individually to make more money.

Make your decision soon - and make peace with your decision.

Last edited:
If you have the means to buy it, I don't think you will lose money if you keep it looking like that. If you abuse it, it will drop in value in a hurry though.

I agree completely, I am insanely OCD about my vehicles and take fantastic care of them... the only wildcard is the hail and crazy drivers out here in CO, but such is life. Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:
I agree completely, I am insanely OCD about my vehicles and take fantastic care of them... the only wildcard is the hail and crazy drivers out here in CO, but such is life. I think I would have a hard time convincing USAA the vehicle is worth $17k. Thanks for the comments!

I would carry a couple of canvas painters tarps in the back to drape over in case of hail. They fold up small and they can be used as a tarp/tent in a pinch. Just pull over and pull the tarp over . Also nice for draping over the seats in case of muddy dogs.

Here is a bit of reality for you. I think Toyota only sold about 70,000 of these trucks and the newest one is 20 years old now. The one in your pictures looks really good. I am not sure if the Tuffy box hurts or helps, and there still are no cupholders that will fit a Starbucks cup in sight.

I have a slightly rusty 80 that has a really solid body for my area and an immaculate cloth interior, fully rebuilt head and top end of the engine bay, brand new BFG's, rebuilt front axle, all new braking system with the LSVP and the ABS deleted, and it will have an all new exhaust and a new AC system.

I think I can find a buyer that might pay 10K for mine. That is pretty much all rust penalty and I don't have the accessories that your truck has.

There are going to be costs, that is just the way it goes. The fortunate thing is that in your case it's still a decent investment.

Last edited:
The trend right now is that 80 series seem to be going up in value (if well maintained and fairly low mileage).

I don't know the 'market' in your area, but that rig is worth 17K where I live, all day long.

IF it could be had for less....all the sweeter, but it is fairly priced IMO. I can tell you one thing for certain, if you tarry, it will be gone.

I would carry a couple of canvas painters tarps in the back to drape over in case of hail. They fold up small and they can be used as a tarp/tent in a pinch. Just pull over and pull the tarp over . Also nice for draping over the seats in case of muddy dogs.

Here is a bit of reality for you. I think Toyota only sold about 70,000 of these trucks and the newest one is 20 years old now. The one in your pictures looks really good. I am not sure if the Tuffy box hurts or helps, and there still are no cupholders that will fit a Starbucks cup in sight.

I have a slightly rusty 80 that has a really solid body for my area and an immaculate cloth interior, fully rebuilt head and top end of the engine bay, brand new BFG's, rebuilt front axle, all new braking system with the LSVP and the ABS deleted, and it will have an all new exhaust and a new AC system.

I think I can find a buyer that might pay 10K for mine. That is pretty much all rust penalty and I don't have the accessories that your truck has.

There are going to be costs, that is just the way it goes. The fortunate thing is that in your case it's still a decent investment.

The tarp recommendation is a fantastic idea!

I just committed to purchasing the vehicle, I think it will be a fantastic vehicle for what we intend to use it for!

The tarp recommendation is a fantastic idea!

I just committed to purchasing the vehicle, I think it will be a fantastic vehicle for what we intend to use it for!

Excellent purchase! Great price...the bumpers, sliders, suspension, batteries, drawers, RTT, rack, etc. would run about 8K alone (Slee rear is nearly 3K). You just bought the truck for 9K...well done!

I think it's a fair price for a ready-out-the-door outlander. Don't count on USAA, or any other insurance company, to pay you more than $3500-4K, despite condition, mileage, and extras. I found that out the hard way on my 1st LX. Nice rig!

That 80 is a piece of junk. Stay far away.

BTW, where is it? ;)

what is the shelf behind the cargo barrier up top?

what is the shelf behind the cargo barrier up top?

It's a power inverter, not sure if the shelf below has to do with it the onboard air just beside the drawer system.

IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2284.JPG
IMG_2285.JPG

I have mine insuranced for 20k full coverage at pretty cheap price thru farmers, just told my agent what I have in it what comparable one would cost at that I do rock crawl trail drive it, I also have my house and two other vehicles with him and no accidents on my record

I think it's a great buy. No new 4x4 is close to that cheap, or appreciating in value. Not buying a Razor XP for that. In today's world thats inexpensive fun that you can share memories with family in. Win.

Thank you everyone for the input! Being able to insure the vehicle for close to what I am spending would certainly put me at ease. We don't know how much time we have left in Colorado so we really want to make the best of the weekends out here... the less time spent wrenching and modifying, the more time we have for exploring. Understanding of course, a vehicle of this vintage will undoubtedly require attention here and there. Can't wait to pick her up and take in all the beauty this state offers!

I'd pay 17 for that all day long. I just bought a significantly lesser truck for close enough to that to make me throw up a little in my mouth on reading this thread.

I'd pay 17 for that all day long. I just bought a significantly lesser truck for close enough to that to make me throw up a little in my mouth on reading this thread.

If there is anything I have learned during my hunt, it's that there is always a better deal to be had. Somewhere out there lies a barn find that will sell for next to nothing. I think the only way most of us would be content on this site is if Toyota gave us the vehicle new. Unless you are the guys from Expedition Overland, chances are it ain't going to happen... BTW: Toyota, if you are reading this feel free to hand me the keys to brand new 2017 Land Cruiser... I mean, if you're giving them out and all.:steer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom