1997 fzj80 tailgate lift gate trim garnish and upper light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to remove the upper light and tailgate lift gate garnish that is around the rear glass. I have no idea how this comes off but it sure feels like it will break. Help.

Last edited:
Looking to remove the upper light and rear door garnish that is around the rear glass. I have no idea how this comes off but it sure feels like it will break. Help.
How about a picture so we know exactly what you're asking for.

Tailgate rear door or rear passenger door (second row)?

Headliner?

The rear passenger door (second row) doesn't have "garnish" that is unrelated to removing the headliner. Otherwise, it all pops off with the plastic tools you can get from Harbor Freight.

What's the ultimate goal here? Fix or replace a light?

Thanks for the reply. And yes some clarification is needed and pictures speak volumes. Looking to remove the upper brake light and all trim from around the glass of the tailgate(lift gate) in the picture to repaint. Thanks again

E3B4DD09-9FDE-4A0A-BAF2-F2C11CB1EA25.jpeg

For the third brake light, push in the center of the pins (look like plastic rivets) and pull the whole retainer out. Then the cover pops off. The small trim panels around the glass seem to have an adhesive on them, and I left them in place and masked them.

Jason

For the third brake light, push in the center of the pins (look like plastic rivets) and pull the whole retainer out. Then the cover pops off. The small trim panels around the glass seem to have an adhesive on them, and I left them in place and masked them.

Jason
Thanks Jason for the clue of the pins. And yes the trim seems glued and maybe under the glass. I’ll check further when I pull the glass. Thanks again.

Since I have these just sitting here....

Gold pins insert in to holes in bottom of third brake light, two push pin rivets in from the back.

PXL_20230725_001722834.jpg

Pin pushed in to remove in this pic. Push back up to re-install.

PXL_20230725_001729614.jpg

Jason

Thanks Jason for the clue of the pins. And yes the trim seems glued and maybe under the glass. I’ll check further when I pull the glass. Thanks again.

The trim 90's up with the pinch weld goes under the rubber....

And I have some cleaning to do.

PXL_20230725_003531635.jpg

Jason

OK Jason. I got the light off and all of the brackets, electrical, etc. I was also able to gently pull away all of the trim. I used a trim removal tool, and gently worked my way down releasing the double face adhesive, tape, whatever. It was kind of slow going, but it all came off without breaking. Thanks for all of the advice. You gave me the greenlight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom