1996 LC with a Carburetor ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All- I am looking at buyer an 80 series ( year 1996 ) in Central America and the seller states it has a carburetor. Forgive this rookie question, but is this something that was standard in other markets outside of the United States ? Many Thanks.

There were three different versions of the 1FZ family of engines for passenger use:

1FZ-F: Carburated
1FZ-FE: EFI with distributor
1FZ-FE: EFI with direct ignition.

Many vehicles outside of the US market got "base model" FZJ80 trucks with a carb'ed engine. Especially in Central and South America, Africa and the GCC.

There were three different versions of the 1FZ family of engines for passenger use:

1FZ-F: Carburated
1FZ-FE: EFI with distributor
1FZ-FE: EFI with direct ignition.

Many vehicles outside of the US market got "base model" FZJ80 trucks with a carb'ed engine. Especially in Central and South America, Africa and the GCC.
Thank you for this. Is there a reason to NOT buy the 1FZ-F with the carb ? Looks like a little less power but having never driven one and not knowing much about them, I would appreciate any advice on this possible purchase.

Hi All- I am looking at buyer an 80 series ( year 1996 ) in Central America and the seller states it has a carburetor. Forgive this rookie question, but is this something that was standard in other markets outside of the United States ? Many Thanks.
tons of differences in 80's everywhere but here in the states.
in Venezuela you could buy an 80 brand new up to 2007ish.....

Thank you for this. Is there a reason to NOT buy the 1FZ-F with the carb ? Looks like a little less power but having never driven one and not knowing much about them, I would appreciate any advice on this possible purchase.
you're in denver... you'll want all the extra power you can get.

I personally wouldn't want a carb'ed anything anymore. It's 2023. At the minimum, I'd want fuel injection for consistency.

Base model FZJ80's with carb's have generally been hammered on. They have generally lived very tough lives.

I would definitely not buy anything from Central or South America. But that's just me. In the end, go and inspect the vehicle and have a qualified mechanic do a PPI for you if you are serious about purchasing it.

If you travel frequently between elevations, then, no, you don't want carb'd because the jets in carbs are fixed and they get way rich at high elevations and lean way out at lower elevations. Thats why years ago, there were southern routes around the mountains because all cars were carb'd and they didn't run well up high.

Fuel injection and the computers adjust for this with the mass air flow sensors and adjust the injector pulse timing to change the amount of fuel based on the mass of air it is receiving, which is related to elevation.

Stick with EFI or turbocharged diesel for where you live.

In your case it will be impossible to pass the required emissions testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom