1996 LC--NEWBIE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Glad to have found this great forum! I just purchased from an older gentleman an all original triple locked (except radio) 1996 LC. A few questions. How common is the locking differential on the 96 model year and does it increase its value/desirability? Are there any issues that I should look out for? The power seat motors both need to be replaced, but overall it's in great shape. Also...the coolant seemed a little low and there was some coolant on the top of the radiator cover to the right of the fan shroud cover. Could there be a small leak and is it best to just replace the whole radiator?

Welcome and congrats!

Lockers: Yes, factory lockers increase value considerably. They were not too common. Things to lookout for: The '93-'97 models have the 1FZ-FE engine. Those are notorious for a few things. The ones that come to mind are the pesky heater hose (PHH) and head gasket failures. I have no experience with those as I have a '92. I've just read about them. Search is your friend.

Good info....thanks for letting me know. Is that a pretty easy fix?
Lots of good information in this thread:

Here's a video tutorial on seat gear replacement:

Purchase the replacement seat gears here:

Glad to have found this great forum! I just purchased from an older gentleman an all original triple locked (except radio) 1996 LC. A few questions. How common is the locking differential on the 96 model year and does it increase its value/desirability? Are there any issues that I should look out for? The power seat motors both need to be replaced, but overall it's in great shape. Also...the coolant seemed a little low and there was some coolant on the top of the radiator cover to the right of the fan shroud cover. Could there be a small leak and is it best to just replace the whole radiator?
Welcome!

Yes, it's probably in need of a new radiator. Factory units are designed and made for this, but many of the folks in AZ and CA use aftermarket ones that may or may not last as long. Search is your friend here.

Don;t know what your wrenching skills are, but you can save SIGNIFICANT money doing this all yourself. These are relatively easy to work on.

Everything you need to do or want to do to your truck has been done by SOMEONE on this site. Search is your friend.

Check the Clubhouse section above for your area. There are quite a few others in the BHAM area.

@BHAM96LC Welcome to Mud and congrats on the new 80! Did you buy it local in Bham or from somewhere else? We’ve got a great Cruiser club/community here in Bham called DixieLand Cruisers. Check out our clubhouse for info on monthly meetings, wrench days and rides/campouts. We’d be glad to look over your 80 and show you the ropes, you will love your new rig! What part of town are you in?

Congratulations and post up some pics of your new cruiser.

@BHAM96LC Welcome to Mud and congrats on the new 80! Did you buy it local in Bham or from somewhere else? We’ve got a great Cruiser club/community here in Bham called DixieLand Cruisers. Check out our clubhouse for info on monthly meetings, wrench days and rides/campouts. We’d be glad to look over your 80 and show you the ropes, you will love your new rig! What part of town are you in?

Thanks for reaching out.
I’m def interested in finding out more. I’m over off 41/Dunavant Valley area. New to Bham area as well. I purchased it from Edwards Chevy. Was a trade that came from an owner in Sylacauga. That would be great if someone could eyeball and look it over. I pick it up on Wednesday. What area are you in?

Sean

Buy a Factory Service Manual, Sunroof drains get clogged, rear sliding windows leak, door lock motors wear out, window motors (esp DS) wear out. You can find an answer to any problem you have here. See Wits End for problems you didn't know you had Wits' End Entire Product Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom