1996 Land Cruiser - Need Advice Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
May 23, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
5
Location
Tampa
Need some recommendations for my first 80 series project. I'm almost done with the paint job. I acquired this 80 LC as-is. The back sits higher than the front. If you guys had this rig what size wheels and tires would you put on it, currently looking at aftermarket options? Also would you lower the back or lift the front to level out? Currently has a 3.5" Emu lift. Tires are 315/75/16 with oem wheels. No fender flares came with the truck so I welded the holes, sanded and painted.

20260920_170808.webp


20260920_170931.webp


20260920_170845.webp


20260608_124102.webp


20260808_181342.webp
 
I'd probably leave it as is, if it drives OK now. Maybe strip the wheels or paint them OEM color. If you're intent on leveling, I'd lower the rear. Lifting the front just means more potential problems with steering geometry.
Thanks for your response. What would be the best method to lower the rear some?
 
Hang a big bumper and tire carrier off the back end. Maybe add a can carrier? High lift? Fridge in the back?

It can come at you quick!

I raised my front because my springs were crusty, and now that i’ve accessorized a bit it’s time to get some rear springs as my back is just a bit saggy.

(Started out with a stance much like yours)
 
Thanks for your response. What would be the best method to lower the rear some?
If the lift is fairly new it might settle a bit. Add some weight and run it for a while to see if the height comes down. A big bumper would be nice but they're very expensive. You could also replace the springs with a lower lift option.
 
Hang a big bumper and tire carrier off the back end. Maybe add a can carrier? High lift? Fridge in the back?

It can come at you quick!

I raised my front because my springs were crusty, and now that i’ve accessorized a bit it’s time to get some rear springs as my back is just a bit saggy.

(Started out with a stance much like yours)
Yeah makes sense. This is a picture when I bought it. Weird how it seems to sit lower in the rear. The side steps are very heavy! I'll be putting them back on next month. I was thinking of going 17" wheel with a 285/75/17 tire to keep it at around 33" diameter. I would like 35's but I'm not even sure if this rig has the standard 4:10 or 4:88 ring and pinion gears.
 
Yeah makes sense. This is a picture when I bought it. Weird how it seems to sit lower in the rear. The side steps are very heavy! I'll be putting them back on next month. I was thinking of going 17" wheel with a 285/75/17 tire to keep it at around 33" diameter. I would like 35's but I'm not even sure if this rig has the standard 4:10 or 4:88 ring and pinion gears.

Screenshot_20260923_120344_Gallery.webp
 
Yeah looks like it had a bumper ect out back, so that would do it....maybe they are the heavier springs. That said, if you get the stuff on it and its still raked could go with a lighter spring. I think OME makes all sorts of spring rates.
 
Need some recommendations for my first 80 series project. I'm almost done with the paint job. I acquired this 80 LC as-is. The back sits higher than the front. If you guys had this rig what size wheels and tires would you put on it, currently looking at aftermarket options? Also would you lower the back or lift the front to level out? Currently has a 3.5" Emu lift. Tires are 315/75/16 with oem wheels. No fender flares came with the truck so I welded the holes, sanded and painted.

View attachment 4217811

View attachment 4217812

View attachment 4217813

View attachment 4217821

View attachment 4217822
10 sand bags in the back, lower it right down......;)
 
As the other guys said, it's probably completely empty in the back for your paint work. Once you throw in some recovery gear, drawers, your spare, and all the other stuff that accumulates in the back of an 80, you'll lose the StinkBug Stance.

Your front springs are the standard OME 850J springs, so check the rears to see what's out back. These rigs tend to drive better with a little weight on them, esp. in the back.
 
so that's how easy it is to paint an entire 80? Just get one of them 10x20 shelters, sand the heck out of everything and shoot some paint on? Dang dude, you're a badass mofo.
 
Looks like you need panhard bracket and caster correction (either plates or delta Radius arms).
 
Back
Top Bottom