Builds 1996 Land Cruiser Build - "Kronk" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not banged up too bad. Clear is peeling a bunch. I could repaint it, but I'd just scratch the bejeebus out of it on the first trip. I know there are some who won't approve of the monstaliner choice. But, I like the way it looks, and it is durable.
Monstaliner is low maintenance and I'm sure not having to worry about your paint whilst out exploring is worth the peace of mind. Added protection is a plus too. White monstaliner appears understated when applied, which I like. Are you staying with white or going another direction?

Monstaliner is low maintenance and I'm sure not having to worry about your paint whilst out exploring is worth the peace of mind. Added protection is a plus too. White monstaliner appears understated when applied, which I like. Are you staying with white or going another direction?
Staying with white.

Considered raptor?

I thought white didn’t have clear…unless it was repainted

Considered raptor?

This is @Atomic City thread, but I did Raptor. I'm a fan of it. I will Raptor my current project. Both of my white LCs had/have clear coat.

Considered raptor?

There is back and forth banter on mud about white having clear or not. People swear it’s a single-stage, no clear. Others will state otherwise.

I think jonheld said his 91 cruiser has clear coat peeling.

Sounds like the argument is laid to rest, but it continues.

Sorry for the hijack. Looking forward to seeing your white-lined LC.

I did consider raptor, but heard good things about Monstaliner, so giving that a try. Mine definitely has clear. Here is a pic of one of the numerous spots.

20230410_210108.jpg

I had some dents that I am working on smoothing, and I noticed an area on the tailgate that had some cracking. Turns out is was a previous repair with a significant amount of bondo. So, I removed the old bondo and will work on that area also.

I also got a rubber eraser wheel for removing adhesive. Works pretty well.
20230414_093611.jpg
20230414_093554.jpg
20230414_101106.jpg
20230414_163938.jpg

@Atomic City
Is this their stock "white" color? How did you apply it? How many gallons did it take? Do you have any insight for getting the Monstaliner in those tight spots (rain gutters, etcetera)? It looks great! Weighing my options as my truck needs a paint job.

@Atomic City
Is this their stock "white" color? How did you apply it? How many gallons did it take? Do you have any insight for getting the Monstaliner in those tight spots (rain gutters, etcetera)? It looks great! Weighing my options as my truck needs a paint job.
Yes, it is the white color. I rolled it on. I took a bit under 2 gallons. However, I didn't do the door jambs or anything that you can see when you open doors/liftgate/etc. I imagine if you did all of that, you'd use every bit of 2 gallons.

I didn't apply it in the rain gutter, as I didn't want it to interfere with my roof rack installation in any way. The only spot I really had trouble with was under the rear view mirrors. You can dab it on with a brush and they supply a small sponge that you can sort of texture it with, but it is still difficult. If I were to do it again, I'd remove the rear view mirros. I taped off the door handles, mirrors, washer sprayers, liftgate lock, and removed other things. Some apply it to their door handles and mirrors, but I am going to black those out in the near future, so I decided not to.

Buy several extra rollers - they degrade fairly quickly.

Application is pretty straightforward. The most time-consuming thing is the prep work. They have it in the instructions, but make sure you are working in an area with great lighting. The only spot I'm not super pumped about is a couple of areas on my hood, where I couldn't see quite well enough due to poor lighting. You can sort of see roller marks in two spots there. I could have easily addressed those had I seen them. But, overall I am super happy with the outcome.

Last edited:
Not much to update. Still taking Kronk out and camping here and there. I haven't been working on it much thanks to my new project:

no_front_clip.jpg

But, I have been having a slight rolling/squealing noise that I have noticed when I drive by curbs. It goes away at lower speeds (like less than 7-8 mph). I can't recreate it in the garage by spinning the wheels while on stands. I'm going to get the truck in the garage this weekend hopefully and check the grease level in birfs. I can't imagine that is it - I just rebuilt them recently, and they aren't leaking.

I also noticed that neither of my e-lockers are engaging. So, I'll have to dig into that as well.

Not much to update. Still taking Kronk out and camping here and there. I haven't been working on it much thanks to my new project:

View attachment 3355287

But, I have been having a slight rolling/squealing noise that I have noticed when I drive by curbs. It goes away at lower speeds (like less than 7-8 mph). I can't recreate it in the garage by spinning the wheels while on stands. I'm going to get the truck in the garage this weekend hopefully and check the grease level in birfs. I can't imagine that is it - I just rebuilt them recently, and they aren't leaking.

I also noticed that neither of my e-lockers are engaging. So, I'll have to dig into that as well.
Tell us more!!

Here you go:

Sweet story man! Thank you for sharing. I had my grandpa’s 1986 Toyota Corolla he’s had since new but I was such a stupid highschool kid who fell on hard times and sold it off. I wish I could get it back!! I’m happy you were able to get yours back and have the opportunity to make it right again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom