1995 Landcruiser with an Oil Light Fault (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a low oil pressure indicator dashboard light that is coming on when the pressure gauge is normal (see attached). So I suppose either the light is a false-positive, or the gauge is wrong (although the gauge seems to behave normally - drops on low revs and rises at higher revs). Any thoughts on this? Does the sensor unit operate both of these indicators?
tlc-dash.jpg
tlc-dash.jpg

I have a low oil pressure indicator dashboard light that is coming on when the pressure gauge is normal (see attached). So I suppose either the light is a false-positive, or the gauge is wrong (although the gauge seems to behave normally - drops on low revs and rises at higher revs). Any thoughts on this? Does the sensor unit operate both of these indicators?View attachment 2999518View attachment 2999518

examine this carefully and completely ........

they fail and fail often after all these years .............

1651617791335.png

1651617807249.png

The dipstick level is fine also. So it sounds like there is a separate sensor for the oil level - yes? I tried searching without much luck, but maybe changing search terms will help. Thanks!

The sensor for the oil level is down beside where the dip stick tube enters the oil pan. There are 4 x 10mm head bolts that secure the sensor. Before you remove it make sure you clean everything in the surrounding area. The last thing you want is dirt falling in the oil pan. Also remove the connector and make sure your oil level light goes out. As far as I remember the light comes on when the wire picks up a ground. New sensors are spendy so definitely worth taking time to troubleshoot.

IME most people have never seen a real (old fashioned) oil can of the type represented by the low oil level lamp, but they're still around.

The low oil level light, which looks a bit like Aladdins lamp, will start to come on when the oil level is getting close to one quart down. At first it will come on shortly after starting out in the morning with a cold engine and go off after a few seconds. As the oil level continues to drop the low oil level light will come on more frequently and stay on longer until it comes on and stays on when you're about 1-1/2 quarts low. IME.

The oil pressure gauge (needle) will change position with rpms. It starts out high upon first start up of a cold engine, then drops as the engine/oil warms up. It's normal for the needle to read higher at higher rpms (highway speed for example) and lower at idle (once the engine/oil is warmed up).

The two sensors are independant of one another.

FWIW

I was sure that was for the cruisers with valve stem seals that leaked and it was to tell me I need to add a quart of oil again!! But that makes sense now:rofl:

Mine would intermittently come on for months. My local shop insisted on replacing pressure sender after I asked for them to replace level sender. It was the level sender ha. Failed at approx 315k. I agree with others to attempt to troubleshoot first...it was surprisingly spendy for repair with parts through Toyota. Best of luck!

Thanks all, I understand the issue now. It is pretty intermittent and we're good with checking the oil level periodically - it burns some when cold, but very little when warm. I will live with it for a while and pull, fix, or replace it when it is too annoying. Also understand that it can be disconnected at the sensor, but that seems penny wise and pound foolish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom