1994 periodically won’t start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
no loss of power from battery and rig periodically doesn’t start. No clicking on starter. Then randomly it will start without any issue and will do so for days, then once again won’t start. I replaced the fusable link. The first time i tried to start it the rig briefly started to turn over then stopped.

i need some pointers to look at please.

Do you get a check engine light when the you turn the key to run?

no loss of power from battery and rig periodically doesn’t start. No clicking on starter. Then randomly it will start without any issue and will do so for days, then once again won’t start. I replaced the fusable link. The first time i tried to start it the rig briefly started to turn over then stopped.

Starter contacts is one thing to check.

And grounds. Clean and tighten.

Do you get a check engine light when the you turn the key to run?
When i turn the key to run all the indicator lights are on including check engine. When it does start i have no lights. I did notice that when it doesn’t start the O/D off light is illuminated. My son has been driving so i thought he had just clicked it off by mistake, but i noticed that the last two times.

Starter contacts is one thing to check.
And grounds. Clean and tighten.
i assume you mean starter grounds? I am new to this so sorry if dumb question.
When i turn the key to run all the indicator lights are on including check engine. When it does start i have no lights. I did notice that when it doesn’t start the O/D off light is illuminated. My son has been driving so i thought he had just clicked it off by mistake, but i noticed that the last two times.
Update…..i just whacked the starter with a hammer a couple times and it started up several times without issue. Looks like a bad started, right? Any threads you can share on steps to replace the starter for 1994?

Update…..i just whacked the starter with a hammer a couple times and it started up several times without issue. Looks like a bad started, right? Any threads you can share on steps to replace the starter for 1994?
Disconnect battery , disconnect wires to starter , remove two bolts, front bolt get a long extension lay under the truck, rear bolt is easier and is accessed laying the other direction under the truck

Not starter grounds. Your update indicates that the contacts that feed power to the windings are bad. You can either replace them fairly cheaply (search this forum for 'starter contacts' and I'm sure you'll get all the help you need) or you can replace the starter.

There are several grounds in the engine bay. Look up on FSM where these are. Confirm all are in direct contact with non corroded exposed metal surfaces. Make sure they are secured tightly.

Your description is classic solenoid failure. You can replace the entire starter, or you can replace the solenoid parts that are worn. One takes a trip to the dealership or parts store and time to remove and install a starter. And some cash. The other takes a couple of days waiting on the mail, an hour to rebuild the solenoid and the same time to remove and reinstall the starter. And far less cash.

Alternator and Starter Parts Wholesale has the rebuild kit you need. Or, you can let someone else do it and replace the solenoid with a new Toyota unit (post #8). Lots of good to know starter stuff on that thread, BTW.

I had this issue shortly after I first bought my truck. Turned out that it was a fusible link that was going bad, but not completely burned through.

When you truck won’t start, try this.

“Fusible Link - When you 1st turn your key forward, far enough fir accessories to turn on, but not to spin the starter..... does your Check Engine light come on? If no ..... fuesable link is bad. If yes.... check your fuel injection relay under the hood!“
95% of the time one of them will fix it.

I have a 94 and this is exactly what mine was doing occasionally. Stater solenoid rebuild with Toyota parts fixed it.

I had this issue shortly after I first bought my truck. Turned out that it was a fusible link that was going bad, but not completely burned through.

When you truck won’t start, try this.

“Fusible Link - When you 1st turn your key forward, far enough fir accessories to turn on, but not to spin the starter..... does your Check Engine light come on? If no ..... fuesable link is bad. If yes.... check your fuel injection relay under the hood!“
95% of the time one of them will fix it.
Thank you. first thing I did was change the fuseable link.
Your description is classic solenoid failure. You can replace the entire starter, or you can replace the solenoid parts that are worn. One takes a trip to the dealership or parts store and time to remove and install a starter. And some cash. The other takes a couple of days waiting on the mail, an hour to rebuild the solenoid and the same time to remove and reinstall the starter. And far less cash.

Alternator and Starter Parts Wholesale has the rebuild kit you need. Or, you can let someone else do it and replace the solenoid with a new Toyota unit (post #8). Lots of good to know starter stuff on that thread, BTW.
Looking for the solenoid parts kit to rebuild. The link you provided doesn't seem to have the parts. any other stores you recommend?

May be the fusible link.

Yours is a 94 you said also? These are the part numbers you want if you go through Toyota...
28226-72010
28226-66060
28235-54380

Looking for the solenoid parts kit to rebuild. The link you provided doesn't seem to have the parts. any other stores you recommend?
They can be rebuilt. If it is in your budget just buy a new starter.

Also check your truck for remnant alarm wiring. Mine did the same, usually when warm. Traced it down to a hack wiring job by the PO on non-toyota alarm removal under the dash, near the ignition switch. I removed this in-line alarm system jumper and problem disappeared.
IMG_2600.JPG

If banging on the starter gets things going, it's bad contacts.

You have to select the vehicle, then the starter size: 1.4kW or 2.0 kW
1680803748948.png

1680803778977.png

with a nod to @arcteryx: (Post #1); ignore the 3FE; you most likely have the 2.0, but you need to be certain - the parts aren't the same
1680803878674.png

Here's the number you want:
1680804011453.png

or, you can buy the solenoid rebuilt, from Toyota (McGeorge has a 30% off sale on now):
1680804158779.png

Also check your truck for remnant alarm wiring. Mine did the same, usually when warm. Traced it down to a hack wiring job by the PO on non-toyota alarm removal under the dash, near the ignition switch. I removed this in-line alarm system jumper and problem disappeared.
View attachment 3292417
Interesting you state this because I suspected this as the first problem. The alarm arms and disarms, but only locks the doors, doesn't unlock them. I thought this may have been causing the issue so I stopped arming the alarm for awhile and just use the old school key to unlock. The problem went away, but then appeared again yesterday, so I suspect this isn't the issue. But I will check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom