1992 FJ80 Electrical Gremlins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I just had a new Sony double DIN head unit and Pioneer sub (with self contained amp) installed in my 1992 80. The head unit has a port for a (RCA jack) back-up camera and I asked the installers to install a short RCA video cable so I could install and connect a camera myself. The purchase and installation was from one of the well-known big box electronics stores in the Atlanta area. Let me say that all the electrical systems in the LC were working normally prior to the installation and totally did on the drive home upon picking it up post installations. Please note the following as it relates to my issues:

 All was ok on drive home after installations (+/- 15-minute drive)
 When in reverse Sony screen displayed “NO VIDEO SIGNAL”. This was ok as no camera was connected yet. This does indicate reverse / camera trigger wire was connected and working correctly.

Next day - Everything still working ok when starting on back-up camera installation
 Removed console to gain access to wiring from stereo install and to connect camera video RCA cable to camera RCA cable from Sony unit. At this point, no wiring changes or stress was put on any wiring concealed under the console area or shifter console area.
 Connected camera video cable to RCA jack from Sony and ran cable to rear of car concealing it under passenger seat and interior door /body trim. No camera connected at this point and no changes to existing wiring and no camera connection yet made.
 Up to this point everything seemed to be still functioning normally.
 Removed right rear light cluster to gain access to back-up light wiring.
 Turned on ignition and put gear selector in reverse (engine not running). Did this to put multi-meter on to confirm “HOT” back-up light wire. Back-up lights came on but lost voltage within a few moments. No wiring changes or splicing had been done.
 This is when it was noticed that Sony display no longer displayed “NO VIDEO SIGNAL” but all other Sony head functions were normal and working.
 Then noticed the following NOT WORKING:
o Back-up lights
o All gauges and warning lights in dash cluster (except open door light)
o Heat & Air system
o Windows
 Items not effected and STILL FUNCTIONING NORMALLY:
o All driving lights (headlights, turn signals, brakes, parking, and dome lights)
o Wipers
o All Sony head functions (except camera – not connected)
o Door locks
o Clock
 Alternator apparently not impacted and still charging normally
o 12.5 volts @ battery w/ engine off
o 14.5 volts @ battery w/ engine running

I got no sparking, popping, or any electrical smell when this occurred. I've checked all fuses I can find and all are ok. I have not checked any relays yet. The electrical system is not my strong suite and I'll say that I'm baffled on the things that aren't working as they appear (according to the shop manual I have and fuse diagrams) to be on different circuits.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will be taking it back to the installers but have little confidence they'll resolve this if all their work is correctly done.
Thanks for any input!!

Replace the gauge fuse. Check fuses with a meter, not your eyeballs.
Thanks much. I’m back in business! Never thought to check the fuses with a meter. Will know going forward though. Your recommendation was a great help and saved me a lot of time. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom