For Sale 1989 HJ61, 5 speed, Cable Lockers in Kelowna, BC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I've hummed and hawed for the last few hours on whether on not I really want/have to sell my 'cruiser. As it stands at the moment, it appears I'm headed to work on a small Island in the middle of nowhere for a few years and having a vehicle, let alone a 'cruiser would likely be overkill. Regardless I may take her, or save up for an 80 series. Anyways:

'89 HJ61 imported through Outback Imports about five years ago. I am the second Canadian owner. I flew out to Kimberly and drove her seven hours back to Kelowna. I looked for months and months for a 5 speed/cable locker equipped 61. The only other decent one I could find the owner decided not to sell. She had about 160k when she was imported, previous owner drove her across Canada and back again and everywhere in between. I think I've put on about 20-25k bringing her up to the current (but always increasing) 278k.

Details:

-5 speed, factory cable locking front and rear diff's
-a/c (still works great), power windows/mirrors, sunroof
-suspension seats! (driver's seat has been modified and moved back about two inches for more leg room)
-rear heater
-ARB front bumper
-Warn 8274 winch
-inline coolant heater
-24/12v converter
-Old Man Emu Dakar springs/greasable shackles/shocks
-285/75R16 (33") Hankook Dynapro MT's, siped, lot's of tread
-Full 3 inch turbo back exhaust
-Boost adjusted to 14psi
-Mad Man EMS...currently monitors oil pressure, water temperature/coolant flow alarm (if the water pump ever quits this will let you know well before the motor starts to melt), voltage, EGT's (probe has been mounted properly pre-turbo). This is a pretty slick unit, ton's of different functions, can check all your maximum values, and an audible alarm sounds if there are any issues.

Other stuff:

-within the last year: new front rotors/pads/wheel bearings, rear shoes are good (comes with brand new shoes whenever they need doing)
-belts and hoses have been done recently, inline coolant heater
-recent $1500 maintenance at Radd Cruisers, I don't have the bill in front of me, but the tranny was pulled to check the clutch, noted the Exedy clutch in it has lot's of life. Bunch of little things, new sway bar end links, caster shims added to front end to aid steering feel, etc.
-valves adjusted within the last year and a half
-previous owner built a bed for the back, take out the rear seats and you can throw a double mattress back there

Known issues:

-rust is starting to present itself on the body, nothing major to this point, frame is good
-John at Radd noted the front end could stand to be gone through in the near future...around $1000 or do it yourself
-bit of a leak from the transmission/transfer case. Have receipts from previous owner noting both were resealed, but it does weep a bit from somewhere. I believe I have a receipt indicating the transfer case has been rebuilt.
-stereo is 12v CD player and loses memory when the truck is turned off. I have just gotten used to re-setting the station!
-rear defrost doesn't work, never looked into it

I absolutely love this vehicle and it has been extremely reliable. The only issue I have had was related to some moron wiring the stereo memory to the 12v potential battery which was causing a drain thus a dead battery.

This vehicle is well sorted and is my daily driver. It will do 120km/h all day long and get's very good fuel mileage. Performance (for a landcruiser) is excellent. When it was originally imported, the cost was well into the $20k range. It runs absolutely excellent, starts instantly. It will sit in 35 degree heat in a traffic with the a/c on full without ever over heating. It really is IMHO superior to pretty much everything on the road.

I can take more pics, these are just a few that I have on the computer.

Price is $10,500obo. Possibility of trades with cash. Do not even bother trying to lowball because I will just keep her :D.

brent_67@hotmail.com is the best way to reach me!

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

i'll give you a call later on, i wouldn't mind coming to check it out today or tomorrow.
-Rory

nice 60!

curious, would the value of these rigs go up in the US market, say in 2013/2014 when it hits 25 years old and ready for US import? just a 3 years from now...;)

the way i see it, these rigs aren't coming in to Canada anymore since the jdm market is down (it's been mostly 80's not too long ago, and even those rigs have slowed down)...it is somewhat rare as it is in Canada. and i'm sure Japan has very few decent 60's left that are in decent shape, let alone have 5spd and cable locked(one would think after all these rigs have been sent all over the world! so where, does say an n.american find such a special rig as this?)

can it be seen as a decent investment to a certain extent, if all's maintained and maybe the rust taken care off now... i mean, in 2014, who's going to have a jdm, cable locked, 5spd, 12Ht, arb'd, 8274'd 60? say by then, this rig will have another 75K kms, 25K/yr, totalling 350K kms) just thinkin out loud... if say, you compared the value of it to a decent bj4x in good shape..and i see them going for in the teen's...or in other words, would it reach the nostalgic status of the 40 series?

but g'luck with the sale! i've driven one of these and i just love em! and there's my bump ;)

Last edited:
nice 60!

curious, would the value of these rigs go up in the US market, say in 2013/2014 when it hits 25 years old and ready for US import? just a 3 years from now...;)

the way i see it, these rigs aren't coming in to Canada anymore since the jdm market is down (it's been mostly 80's not too long ago, and even those rigs have slowed down)...it is somewhat rare as it is in Canada. and i'm sure Japan has very few decent 60's left that are in decent shape, let alone have 5spd and cable locked(one would think after all these rigs have been sent all over the world! so where, does say an n.american find such a special rig as this?)

can it be seen as a decent investment to a certain extent, if all's maintained and maybe the rust taken care off now... i mean, in 2014, who's going to have a jdm, cable locked, 5spd, 12Ht, arb'd, 8274'd 60? say by then, this rig will have another 75K kms, 25K/yr, totalling 350K kms) just thinkin out loud... if say, you compared the value of it to a decent bj4x in good shape..and i see them going for in the teen's...or in other words, would it reach the nostalgic status of the 40 series?

but g'luck with the sale! i've driven one of these and i just love em! and there's my bump ;)

Much appreciated...and I would agree that it should not lose any value, especially if a little tlc was give to the body! :hmm:

that's right! scratch that chin! in 3-4 years WE will change the jdm market when these puppies are good for US/25yr import..and by then, there will be just a few jdm diesels left to pick from....muwhwhaaaaahaaa! keep it pathfinder-88!!

took it for a spin and gave him a deposit, mine in a couple weeks barring a major catastrophe! super pumped!:cool:
this will give me time to restore my 40, as opposed to limping it back onto the road.:bounce:

took it for a spin and gave him a deposit, mine in a couple weeks barring a major catastrophe! super pumped!:cool:
this will give me time to restore my 40, as opposed to limping it back onto the road.:bounce:

Thanks Rory...glad she'll be going to a good home!:cheers:

did this fall through ? I see it on crags list !

Well, I bought a '97 4runner...not a cruiser but at least I'll still have a Toyota. I don't think I'll be able to resist not throwing a lift and some bigger tires at it...and maybe a catback exhaust...and maybe>>> :hmm:

Well, the 61 is officially gone. Thanks Rory, hope she treats you as well as she's treated me! My focus has now shifted to getting the 4Runner away from it's current mall-runner look...:hmm:

Is this things sold yet?

Congrats on the sale!

Hope nobody minds the thread-jack but I thought this might be a good place to catch anyone looking for a 61 who missed out on this deal. I'll be listing my 61 for sale in the next week. cheers,
Daryl

It's treating me very well, taken it on a few surf trips already, crawled through some mud holes, and had it up in the snow. Wheels like a CHAMP! I'll try to remember to take some pics the next time I have it out in the elements:steer:

While searching for something totally unrelated, I found this post. I just bought this cruiser two weeks ago. Figured it had to have passed through some Mud members' hands at some point! It's back in the hands of a Mud member again, and I plan on taking great care of it. Would love to connect with both previous owners and get some history, if you're still around! @pathfinder_88 @Roryfj4062

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom