For Sale 1989 HJ61, 5 speed, Cable Lockers in Kelowna, BC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I've hummed and hawed for the last few hours on whether on not I really want/have to sell my 'cruiser. As it stands at the moment, it appears I'm headed to work on a small Island in the middle of nowhere for a few years and having a vehicle, let alone a 'cruiser would likely be overkill. Regardless I may take her, or save up for an 80 series. Anyways:

'89 HJ61 imported through Outback Imports about five years ago. I am the second Canadian owner. I flew out to Kimberly and drove her seven hours back to Kelowna. I looked for months and months for a 5 speed/cable locker equipped 61. The only other decent one I could find the owner decided not to sell. She had about 160k when she was imported, previous owner drove her across Canada and back again and everywhere in between. I think I've put on about 20-25k bringing her up to the current (but always increasing) 278k.

Details:

-5 speed, factory cable locking front and rear diff's
-a/c (still works great), power windows/mirrors, sunroof
-suspension seats! (driver's seat has been modified and moved back about two inches for more leg room)
-rear heater
-ARB front bumper
-Warn 8274 winch
-inline coolant heater
-24/12v converter
-Old Man Emu Dakar springs/greasable shackles/shocks
-285/75R16 (33") Hankook Dynapro MT's, siped, lot's of tread
-Full 3 inch turbo back exhaust
-Boost adjusted to 14psi
-Mad Man EMS...currently monitors oil pressure, water temperature/coolant flow alarm (if the water pump ever quits this will let you know well before the motor starts to melt), voltage, EGT's (probe has been mounted properly pre-turbo). This is a pretty slick unit, ton's of different functions, can check all your maximum values, and an audible alarm sounds if there are any issues.

Other stuff:

-within the last year: new front rotors/pads/wheel bearings, rear shoes are good (comes with brand new shoes whenever they need doing)
-belts and hoses have been done recently, inline coolant heater
-recent $1500 maintenance at Radd Cruisers, I don't have the bill in front of me, but the tranny was pulled to check the clutch, noted the Exedy clutch in it has lot's of life. Bunch of little things, new sway bar end links, caster shims added to front end to aid steering feel, etc.
-valves adjusted within the last year and a half
-previous owner built a bed for the back, take out the rear seats and you can throw a double mattress back there

Known issues:

-rust is starting to present itself on the body, nothing major to this point, frame is good
-John at Radd noted the front end could stand to be gone through in the near future...around $1000 or do it yourself
-bit of a leak from the transmission/transfer case. Have receipts from previous owner noting both were resealed, but it does weep a bit from somewhere. I believe I have a receipt indicating the transfer case has been rebuilt.
-stereo is 12v CD player and loses memory when the truck is turned off. I have just gotten used to re-setting the station!
-rear defrost doesn't work, never looked into it

I absolutely love this vehicle and it has been extremely reliable. The only issue I have had was related to some moron wiring the stereo memory to the 12v potential battery which was causing a drain thus a dead battery.

This vehicle is well sorted and is my daily driver. It will do 120km/h all day long and get's very good fuel mileage. Performance (for a landcruiser) is excellent. When it was originally imported, the cost was well into the $20k range. It runs absolutely excellent, starts instantly. It will sit in 35 degree heat in a traffic with the a/c on full without ever over heating. It really is IMHO superior to pretty much everything on the road.

I can take more pics, these are just a few that I have on the computer.

Price is $10,500obo. Possibility of trades with cash. Do not even bother trying to lowball because I will just keep her :D.

brent_67@hotmail.com is the best way to reach me!

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

if you would've put this thing on the market about a month ago I'd of bought it. I was in the market for one and ended up getting the same rig in colour and everything.......except the lockers which is what I really wanted.

Let me know if you ever drop by into Kamloops I really wouldn't mind just looking at your rig and how you have it set up

Will do:cheers:

It's going on craigslist...

I am driving through the lower mainland later today (thursday) and over to the Island. I'll be back through on Monday or Tuesday if anyone is interested in having a look.

Keep it, trust me you are not upgrading by getting an 81.

Yeah...common opinion it seems. I was up to Port Hardy on Friday through the hellish storm in her and back again down Island and she didn't skip a beat. Such a great rig. I have two voice mails on my phone regarding her that I've yet to return...we'll see what happens :confused:

81s don't compare to 61s....
Sure the 1hd-t is nice but the overall platform of the 60 rules all.
You could always put a 1hd-t in if the 12h-t ever dies....

Haha yeah...I doubt the 12ht will go anytime soon...she is tight!

I've noticed the alternator isn't charging as well as it should...probably due for brushes. I am gonna yank it out tomorrow and get new brushes installed!

She now has 281k after my road trip! :p

Alternator is out and in for a complete rebuild apparently :rolleyes:

We'll see...I have my '89 5.0 mustang coupe up for sale as well...no bites on that though!

Crap, didn't notice you were on the island on the weekend, I would've liked to have a look. Someone sent me an email to my craigslist ad for my 81 about their 61, kinda got me thinking...

anyways, free bump.... ;)

Alternator has been rebuilt with new brushes, etc...I will be picking it up tomorrow (or today now I suppose) and throwing it back in and she'll be good to go! :bounce:

Alternator is in...she's good to go! :D

I am getting calls and emails but no one is coming out to see her. I am negotiable on the price within reason...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom