For Sale 1989 HJ61, 5 speed, Cable Lockers in Kelowna, BC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I've hummed and hawed for the last few hours on whether on not I really want/have to sell my 'cruiser. As it stands at the moment, it appears I'm headed to work on a small Island in the middle of nowhere for a few years and having a vehicle, let alone a 'cruiser would likely be overkill. Regardless I may take her, or save up for an 80 series. Anyways:

'89 HJ61 imported through Outback Imports about five years ago. I am the second Canadian owner. I flew out to Kimberly and drove her seven hours back to Kelowna. I looked for months and months for a 5 speed/cable locker equipped 61. The only other decent one I could find the owner decided not to sell. She had about 160k when she was imported, previous owner drove her across Canada and back again and everywhere in between. I think I've put on about 20-25k bringing her up to the current (but always increasing) 278k.

Details:

-5 speed, factory cable locking front and rear diff's
-a/c (still works great), power windows/mirrors, sunroof
-suspension seats! (driver's seat has been modified and moved back about two inches for more leg room)
-rear heater
-ARB front bumper
-Warn 8274 winch
-inline coolant heater
-24/12v converter
-Old Man Emu Dakar springs/greasable shackles/shocks
-285/75R16 (33") Hankook Dynapro MT's, siped, lot's of tread
-Full 3 inch turbo back exhaust
-Boost adjusted to 14psi
-Mad Man EMS...currently monitors oil pressure, water temperature/coolant flow alarm (if the water pump ever quits this will let you know well before the motor starts to melt), voltage, EGT's (probe has been mounted properly pre-turbo). This is a pretty slick unit, ton's of different functions, can check all your maximum values, and an audible alarm sounds if there are any issues.

Other stuff:

-within the last year: new front rotors/pads/wheel bearings, rear shoes are good (comes with brand new shoes whenever they need doing)
-belts and hoses have been done recently, inline coolant heater
-recent $1500 maintenance at Radd Cruisers, I don't have the bill in front of me, but the tranny was pulled to check the clutch, noted the Exedy clutch in it has lot's of life. Bunch of little things, new sway bar end links, caster shims added to front end to aid steering feel, etc.
-valves adjusted within the last year and a half
-previous owner built a bed for the back, take out the rear seats and you can throw a double mattress back there

Known issues:

-rust is starting to present itself on the body, nothing major to this point, frame is good
-John at Radd noted the front end could stand to be gone through in the near future...around $1000 or do it yourself
-bit of a leak from the transmission/transfer case. Have receipts from previous owner noting both were resealed, but it does weep a bit from somewhere. I believe I have a receipt indicating the transfer case has been rebuilt.
-stereo is 12v CD player and loses memory when the truck is turned off. I have just gotten used to re-setting the station!
-rear defrost doesn't work, never looked into it

I absolutely love this vehicle and it has been extremely reliable. The only issue I have had was related to some moron wiring the stereo memory to the 12v potential battery which was causing a drain thus a dead battery.

This vehicle is well sorted and is my daily driver. It will do 120km/h all day long and get's very good fuel mileage. Performance (for a landcruiser) is excellent. When it was originally imported, the cost was well into the $20k range. It runs absolutely excellent, starts instantly. It will sit in 35 degree heat in a traffic with the a/c on full without ever over heating. It really is IMHO superior to pretty much everything on the road.

I can take more pics, these are just a few that I have on the computer.

Price is $10,500obo. Possibility of trades with cash. Do not even bother trying to lowball because I will just keep her :D.

brent_67@hotmail.com is the best way to reach me!

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

Oh, and I have a roller fairlead for the ARB...haven't put it on yet.

FYI, she isn't listed anywhere else but here!

And more still:

IMG_4794-1.jpg

IMG_4793-1.jpg

IMG_4791-1.jpg

IMG_4790-1.jpg

IMG_4789-1.jpg

IMG_4788-1.jpg

IMG_4787-1.jpg

Best. Cruiser. Ever. 3 or 4 more years and we can begin importing these down in the States. Great rig!

She really is a sweet rig. Good luck to anyone looking for a 5 speed, locked 61 after this goes...this is the only for sale that I've seen in a long time, especially for this kinda money!

It's true. I looked for a while for mine and ended up getting one with a PTO and unlocked. My requirement was the 5 speed and a good 5 speed HJ61 is very hard to find as in I got the only one at the time. This is the second good 5 speed to come up I've seen since i got mine and its locked which is even more rare.

Bump

I will be heading through the Lower Mainland and over to Vancouver Island towards the end of the month if anyone would like to see the truck.

These machines are RARE! I know I have one.

Send me a PM when you make it to Vancouver Is if it hasn't sold yet, I have a few guys at work that are interested in your ride.

Cheers J.

Send me a PM when you make it to Vancouver Is if it hasn't sold yet, I have a few guys at work that are interested in your ride.

Cheers J.

Will do, thanks!

I have to say the thought of being without a cruiser is a bit sickening. I would take a trade on a LHD 80 series of lesser value with cash (being as they're all automatic) or could add cash for a 5 speed HDJ81 (diff locks would be nice too but ultra rare combo). The 81 is ultimately what I would buy so I can likely cough up the cash right now. Perhaps someone would like to throw a few bucks in the bank and still have a cool cruiser. :D

Bump

So are you trading in the 61 for an 81? not that I want to to stir the pot but not sure if you're really upgrading. If you want to upgrade go for a 70 series with an HZ engine

Bump

So are you trading in the 61 for an 81? not that I want to to stir the pot but not sure if you're really upgrading. If you want to upgrade go for a 70 series with an HZ engine

I am undecided at the moment. The original plan was to sell the 61, put a few bucks in the bank, grab something as a DD for the time being while I'm working in the sticks and then pick up an 81 in a couple years. I've been on the fence about selling the 61 and I'm kinda thinking I don't really want to be without a cruiser so I may buy an 81 if she does sell, just for a change of pace. I think, ultimately, the 12HT is a more durable engine than the 1HDT but there is a lot of tuning potential with the 1HDT. I would have to turbo the 1HZ to get anywhere near the performance I require! :D

I have driven a turboed 1PZ (yes it is a 5cyl but similar) and it was a dog compared to my 61.

if you would've put this thing on the market about a month ago I'd of bought it. I was in the market for one and ended up getting the same rig in colour and everything.......except the lockers which is what I really wanted.

Let me know if you ever drop by into Kamloops I really wouldn't mind just looking at your rig and how you have it set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom