1988 FJ 62 - mid life crisis. Carburetor advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my FJ62 in 2010, and have had overheating issues. Right off we diagnosed a blocked radiator made for high temperatures when you go above 2000 rpm. I had the core rodded out. Soon after the top tank started leaking. I had this resoldered near Timbuktu, again in Benguela in Angola, used several tubes of epoxy, and then had a new top tank made. Then the lower tank went.

So I asked Mr Toyota nicely and he made me a new radiator. But then we diagnosed the dreaded menopause symptom: hot flushes. On advice from Mudders I pulled out the instrument panel, and filed the magic points. But an engine mounting went, and friends wanted to se a lake, which made the engine pull the top hose off. And a while later this happened again. Ok, replaced the mounting.

And again sudden heat problem. Replaced the water pump. And the thermostat. And finally had the coolant tested for exhaust gas.

Diagnosis: Positive. Leaking top gasket. There we have it. After a mere 460 000 kilometers or 285830,748 miles. Barely run in.

So after drooling over new 70 series cruisers I bit the bullet. The spare engine (overhauled, they say, then burnt a valve) went in for a rebuild yesterday. Cruza still does the chores, but you can smell something burnt. As soon as the second engine is running she will go in for a transplant. And a new starter, shocks, rear digg adjustment/fix. And the workshop forean wiggled the carb on the spare engin, walked over to Cruza, wiggled the carb, and shook his head. Shaft bearings wor, and no spares.

He talks of fitting an Australian clone of the Aisin. Does anyone know of this? Comments and comiseration would be most welcome!

Maybe 62s are different in South Africa, but they are fuel injected in the US. Maybe he's putting a 2f in it? I wish we could buy a new 70 series here!

At this point, if there's no one around to rebuild your 3F carburetor and you can't get parts for it or you don't feel comfortable tinkering with it yourself, I think an aftermarket carb is a good choice.

Hi, Personally I'd rebuild the existing one or go new Toyota. Mike

Mmmm. Never thought about a new Toyota one, thanks for that! Most here in South Africa, or Africa for that matter, are carbureted. Now I was wondering what the implications would be of converting to EFI. Seems this newfangled technology might have something going for it, especially if it could reduce my fuel consumption. Is there a kit?

Now I was wondering what the implications would be of converting to EFI. Seems this newfangled technology might have something going for it, especially if it could reduce my fuel consumption.

LOL! Epically good post! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom