1987 fj60 Land Cruiser exhaust options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you can wait a few months we will have a production stainless downpipe /cat assembly for 2F / FJ60 that will bolt between the 3FE/FJ62 muffler tailpipe which is still available from Toyota for about $400 from your local dealer. The 62 muffler/tailpipe bolts into a 60 other then the flange being different.
 
If you can wait a few months we will have a production stainless downpipe /cat assembly for 2F / FJ60 that will bolt between the 3FE/FJ62 muffler tailpipe which is still available from Toyota for about $400 from your local dealer. The 62 muffler/tailpipe bolts into a 60 other then the flange being different.
Sounds like this will solve my issue of having approximately 30 holes in my exhaust system haha.

Now make a downpipe that goes between a 3F manifold and the first cat flange of a regular 2F setup ... I think I'm gonna get crazy with manifolds this winter.
 
If you can wait a few months we will have a production stainless downpipe /cat assembly for 2F / FJ60 that will bolt between the 3FE/FJ62 muffler tailpipe which is still available from Toyota for about $400 from your local dealer. The 62 muffler/tailpipe bolts into a 60 other then the flange being different.

Nice Matt. I’ve got a build coming up that needs this.
 
Sounds like this will solve my issue of having approximately 30 holes in my exhaust system haha.

Now make a downpipe that goes between a 3F manifold and the first cat flange of a regular 2F setup ... I think I'm gonna get crazy with manifolds this winter.
The important part is keeping 1-3 and 4-6 separate for a good distance…. even better if
all the way until the end.
 
The important part is keeping 1-3 and 4-6 separate for a good distance…. even better if
all the way until the end.
I don't really know exhaust theory at all. What's the benefit?
 
It eliminates interference in the exhaust between cylinders. The firing order shows why 1-5-3-6-2-4. Very oversimplified, but if the energy from 1 and 5 are on the same manifold, 1 hasn’t cleared when 5 is about to join the show. 1 will slow 5 down, or even run right into it. The long downpipes and separate manifolds should equal 5 going in the right direction by time they meet, or eliminating the meeting entirely.
 
Last edited:
It eliminates interference in the exhaust between cylinders. The firing order shows why 1-5-3-6-2-4. Very oversimplified, but if the energy from 1 and 5 are on the same manifold, 1 hasn’t cleared when 5 is about to join the show. 1 will slow 5 down, or even run right into it. The long downpipes and separate manifolds should equal 5 going in the right direction by time they meet.
Makes sense, thanks for the explanation! I'm going to probably need a custom downpipe and I'll see if there's room for two pipes between the manifold and cat. Might be tricky stuffing them in between the bellhousing and frame rail. The 3F manifold I'm moving to already looks like it'll have better flow than the stock 2F log. Every little bit helps ... maybe I'll hit 135hp instead of 130!
 
Makes sense, thanks for the explanation! I'm going to probably need a custom downpipe and I'll see if there's room for two pipes between the manifold and cat. Might be tricky stuffing them in between the bellhousing and frame rail. The 3F manifold I'm moving to already looks like it'll have better flow than the stock 2F log. Every little bit helps ... maybe I'll hit 135hp instead of 130!

You're planning on going with a 3F manifold, not 3FE? I have a 3FE manifold on my 2F and it was simple to put together and works. I also have a 3F manifold in the parts pile but haven't gotten around to test fitting it on the 2F.
 
You're planning on going with a 3F manifold, not 3FE? I have a 3FE manifold on my 2F and it was simple to put together and works. I also have a 3F manifold in the parts pile but haven't gotten around to test fitting it on the 2F.
Correct, carbureted 3F manifold set. bolt holes align so I think it should work fine. I've seen your old posts about your 3FE exhaust manifold swap, it's pretty cool.
 
Any chance for us California FJ62 guys getting a stainless system for two cats?:cool:

Sure, but zero guarentee that it will pass your emissions tests
 
Back
Top Bottom