Builds 1987 fj60 12h-t h55f conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great work, very inspiring! Just had a quick, purely cosmetic comment on your momentary glow switch. We had a momentary push button installed by the PO, but was underneath the steering column. I always thought it was ugly and looked out of place. I found a factory momentary glow switch that I believe came from a BJ40. I cleaned it up and repainted the lettering, and Mike wired it up and installed it in an open dash slot. Good little cosmetic upgrade and gives a real nice factory look to the dash, at least I think so. Anyways, something to think about.

The old switch:
View attachment 1505198
View attachment 1505199
View attachment 1505201
View attachment 1505200
View attachment 1505202

Thank you. Now that's pretty cool! Ive never seen a switch like that before. I have a bj40 as well and its glow system is built into the ignition switch by turning the key back in the ignition. I would love to find one like you have.

Thank you. Now that's pretty cool! Ive never seen a switch like that before. I have a bj40 as well and its glow system is built into the ignition switch by turning the key back in the ignition. I would love to find one like you have.
I got it from a Mud member in Canada. He said it came from a BJ42. I don't remember where I first saw the OEM glow switch, but when I saw it I knew it would be a great solution for my ugly Wilson switch. Just got lucky finding one that worked and that it fit the dash hole perfectly. I have never seen it in another 60, so I may be the only one with it.
I think you should try and find one, it would give a super clean factory look to that part of your dash. Considering that this may be my only contribution to this forum....if you end up doing it, it should really be referred to hence forth and forever as the Aloha Jen Glow Switch Cosmetic Mod!

I got it from a Mud member in Canada. He said it came from a BJ42. I don't remember where I first saw the OEM glow switch, but when I saw it I knew it would be a great solution for my ugly Wilson switch. Just got lucky finding one that worked and that it fit the dash hole perfectly. I have never seen it in another 60, so I may be the only one with it.
I think you should try and find one, it would give a super clean factory look to that part of your dash. Considering that this may be my only contribution to this forum....if you end up doing it, it should really be referred to hence forth and forever as the Aloha Jen Glow Switch Cosmetic Mod!

I'll see if I can find one, I did a quick search and it does look like it was a factory part on bj42s. Who are you kidding about it being your only contribution on here. Your thread is awesome. I like that name better than Wilson switch ha ha I can see it now...hopping in the truck on a cold winter morning pushing my aloha Jen switch and warming everything right up lol.

I spliced in the old plug for the brake float sensor today. Soldered and heat shrinked.

20170729_174417_resized.jpg
20170729_175054_resized.jpg
20170729_175558_resized.jpg

Also put a new regulator and crank in the passenger door. It operates as easy as the driver side now so now more complaints from the passengers.
20170729_083525.jpg
20170729_083532.jpg

Last edited:
Went for a nice drive this morning through rural Tennessee. It's too hot to do much outside so seemed like a good day to ride around in the comfort of the air conditioning. I spent some time exploring Pulaski, Tennessee. It has a courthouse square and lots of old buildings. Almost like stepping back in time, I don't imagine this place looked much different 50 years ago.

20170730_105758_resized.jpg

Came across this old building with a really neat store front and immediately thought it'd be a good photo opportunity.

20170730_105119_resized.jpg
20170730_105029_resized.jpg

20170730_105050.jpg
20170730_105739.jpg

20170730_100845_resized.jpg
20170730_101221_resized.jpg

Funny in this picture the writing looks real blurry on the last few lines of text. It's not a a bad photo or illusion, oddly enough it was printed like that. As I was reading it I subconsciously thought man I hope I'm not getting ready to faint or something.

20170730_100817_resized.jpg
20170730_100829.jpg

Hi Roma,
I have a question about your 12h-t throttle setup. I am planning to transplant a 12ht into a hj60 and working to sort out some 12ht specifics before transplant. I see you used a hj60 throttle cable in yours and looks like a straight hookup. My hj60 cable looks just like yours but the cable end that hooks to the throttle mount is fairly big and will not fit without drilling the hole on the mount. Did yours fit straight up or did you modify some sorts? Also the throttle linkage on the firewall seems to pull the cable when I push the gas pedal but the fuel pump mount where cable attaches requires pushing to give throttle. How does yours work? Am I missing anything? Thanks,

davaa

12HT throttle setup.jpg

Hi Roma,
I have a question about your 12h-t throttle setup. I am planning to transplant a 12ht into a hj60 and working to sort out some 12ht specifics before transplant. I see you used a hj60 throttle cable in yours and looks like a straight hookup. My hj60 cable looks just like yours but the cable end that hooks to the throttle mount is fairly big and will not fit without drilling the hole on the mount. Did yours fit straight up or did you modify some sorts? Also the throttle linkage on the firewall seems to pull the cable when I push the gas pedal but the fuel pump mount where cable attaches requires pushing to give throttle. How does yours work? Am I missing anything? Thanks,

davaa

View attachment 1518112

Davaa, I honestly don't recall if I drilled that piece out for the barrel of the hj60 cable, it's been over two years now. I very well may have. This 12ht had an auto transmission behind it and I actually think the swivel bracket I'm using for throttle control may have actually been for the kick down cable. It works well and I only had to make the one rod where the green wire is in the above pic. Sorry hope that helps.

I replaced the broken old antenna with a new one last week so the radio picks up like it's supposed to again.

20170811_184748_resized.jpg

20170811_184306_resized.jpg

20170816_191322_resized.jpg

Also installed this 80 series upper console lid it bolts in place of the 60 lid and has an additional pocket as well as a functional armrest. I'm a little on the fence about how it looks in there but will keep it until I install the cable lockers and see whether I can fit a tuffy in there.

20170816_165327_resized.jpg

This evening I put the tent on in preparation for a little trip.

20170816_191301_resized.jpg

Nice to see the old girl running well.....Did you find out the reason why your previous rebuilt 12HT failed...

Did you conduct an autopsy on it?

Nice to see the old girl running well.....Did you find out the reason why your previous rebuilt 12HT failed...

Did you conduct an autopsy on it?

I have not disassembled it, it's sitting in a box at home. That engine was not rebuilt however. I only resealed and replaced the water pump and thermostat. Even the head gasket on it was original when it failed to my knowledge.

Got lots of seat time in the 60 last week. I left Huntsville Alabama around 730 pm with a full tank of fuel and my compass heading set for northwest to try to escape the dreaded heat we've had here in the south. I'd packed most of my camping gear the night before so I was pretty well set on camping as much as possible or at least as much as my wife would tolerate. I brought along my two person camp chair, Coleman lantern, zodi hot camp shower, my new shower enclosure, 6 gallon water container, 2.5 gallon stainless jerry can for emergency fuel, some quick start fire logs, my fiskars splitting axe and hatchet, and my snow peak stove to cook some mountain house meals if our dinner pickings were scarce. I also brought a couple of hand guns and my side by side coach gun. :) I'd installed my tent on the cruiser earlier in the week and it holds all the sleeping gear in it so that makes packing much simpler. I have a two person cold weather bag in it and two pillows.

I bought this 80 series console lid to install before the trip. It gives me an additional compartment to put stuff in and works as decent armrest. The color doesn't match too great but one day I'll put a tuffy in it as long as it clears my cable locker levers.
20170816_165327_resized.jpg

I also bought this shower enclosure off Amazon for $23.
20170817_175702_resized.jpg

On the way out of town I got pretty tired earlier than I thought I would so we stopped for the night in Metropolis, Illinois. We stayed in a cheap hotel since it was still really hot outside. After a quick complimentary hot breakfast we got an early start hit the road making St. Louis by 830 am which was also our first fuel stop. A little over 400 miles on the first tank...not too shabby.
20170819_085850_resized.jpg

We spent Saturday with the pedal down headed up through Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, and South Dakota. I checked my fluids pretty much every stop and everything seemed great. No oil or coolant consumption. Fuel consumption was coming out to 19.3-20.6 mpg. That's running with ac on at 70-75 mph with a roof top tent. Before the tent I was averaging a little over 20mpg with mixed city and highway driving.

Somewhere in South Dakota as I was checking things over under the hood I noticed this vacuum hose running from the vacuum pump on the back of the alternator over to my vacuum canister was collapsed. The other hose from the canister to the booster was a factory hose and it wasn't having the same issue. I stopped at an auto zone and switched it out with something a little more robust. My brake pedal feel didn't change so I don't think it was actually causing any problems just yet but I felt better about it.
20170819_183052_resized.jpg
20170819_183055_resized.jpg
20170819_183059_resized.jpg

Saturday night we drove until 11 pm or so and made it to a little scenic overlook right before the exit for badlands national park. I wanted to be at the park at sunrise to try to beat the crowds if any were to come. That night the wind was unbelievable and the entire truck was swaying left to right. I opened the tent up a couple of times and could see lightening in the distance. The view of the stars was absolutely unbelievable.

This was the view we woke up to in the morning.
20170820_065953_resized.jpg
20170820_070659_resized.jpg
20170820_070651_resized.jpg
20170820_074244_resized.jpg
20170820_075536_resized.jpg

20170820_092216_resized.jpg
20170820_092822_resized.jpg
20170820_122225_resized.jpg
That morning we spent a few hours hiking around the badlands and then made our way over to the famous wall drug for their breakfast buffet. I think that was the best breakfast we had on the entire trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom