1984 FJ60 - Steel Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the 16" wheels give folks a broader tire choice compared to 15" wheels? Or, is this primarily a visual preference?
I did a lot of research here and elsewhere after finding out that BFG no longer makes the 33X9.50R15s I've been running on my FJ60s for years. I spent a lot of time looking at tire sizes (wanted to keep the tall skinny look) for different manufacturers, primarily BFG, and came to the conclusion that 16" wheels were the way to go. As others here on MUD have indicated, it'll be harder and harder to find replacement tires for 15" wheels as time goes on. Some even recommend 17" wheels. Here's what my '86 FJ60 looks like with stock suspension, no engine, and no transmission/transfer case. Those are Toyota OEM 70-Series 16" wheels with BFG LT235/85R16 ATs.

FJ60-and-FJ62-1.jpg

Thanks for the detail! I always did love the pizza cutter look... I'll have to give these wheels a second look

Thanks for the detail! I always did love the pizza cutter look... I'll have to give these wheels a second look
Prepare for $ticker $hock! I figured I'd go that route 1) because I like the look and 2) I hope to keep the vehicle until I can no longer drive, so the cost was worth it.

Prepare for $ticker $hock! I figured I'd go that route 1) because I like the look and 2) I hope to keep the vehicle until I can no longer drive, so the cost was worth it.

They are really not that bad for OEM steel rims. And you basically buy once and never have to buy again. :meh:

Wheels: Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels - 16 in.x 7 in., 6 x 5.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4 in. Backspace (12-670604)
Tires: BF Goodrich AT KO2 (235/85 R16) (32 PSI)
Powder coat: Prismatic Powders RAL-7037
Lugs: Zinc Plated - OEM Acorn Style (CruiserCorps - 549-282)

View attachment 1261505

View attachment 1261508

View attachment 1261509
Do you sell these wheels or know where I can get this. I have been looking for this. I believe it is this style on this cruiser. Do you think so as well?

IMG_1773.jpg

Wheels: Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels - 16 in.x 7 in., 6 x 5.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4 in. Backspace (12-670604)
Tires: BF Goodrich AT KO2 (235/85 R16) (32 PSI)
Powder coat: Prismatic Powders RAL-7037
Lugs: Zinc Plated - OEM Acorn Style (CruiserCorps - 549-282)

View attachment 1261505

View attachment 1261508

View attachment 1261509
Hi, I want to mirror exactly what you have except I want to stick with the stock size wheel of P225/75/15 and from what I've seen, I don't think Wheel Vintiques come in that with
15 x 6 (6 x 5.5 bolt pattern with 3.75 backspace) but I will call tomorrow to see. I will get the lug nuts you have (thanks for the sky # at CruiserCorp) but I wonder where I can get the wheel hubs you have please. Thank you.

I have the same wheels set up with 255/85 16 BFG Mud Terrains. Tall and skinny with a OME 2" lift looks amazing and, if you're on sand and mud, many say the traction is far superior to go tall and skinny vs wide. I've hit both sand and mud and had no issues with traction in either, but no one else really got stuck, but my previous tires have all been All Terrains so I think the MT probably had more to do with it than the tire size/width.

Either way, this set up looks great and fits with no rub in any situation. I sprayed mine with Valspar MF Gray tractor enamel. It took like two weeks to cure, but after that, it's been hard as a rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom