1982 FJ40 Running too rich (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Jeep was parked outside for 10 years about 5 miles from the ocean with a full tank of gas in it.

When we drained the tank and inspected, it was clean!!!

New Battery, Plugs, fuel filter, air filter, gas and oil, primed the fuel pump and it started right up, and idled fine and accelerates fine.

Carb looks clean from the top. The jeep is all there all the emissions are all plugged in.

Here’s the problem:

The thing runs so rich, that after tinkering with it for about an hour I used up the 4 gallons of gas that I had put in it.

I have played with the Idle mixture screw and it has no effect, well one effect when you turn it all the way closed it pollutes even more.

The nipple next to the idle mixture screw was clogged, I unclogged it, no effect. Well one effect it seems to need the choke to start now, It didn’t need it before I started messing with the carb.

It pollutes in idle and when you hit the gas, it seems to clear up on deceleration just before it goes into idel.

Also while it was running out of gas it leaned out, idled a bit high and ran clean for a minute.

I know right off the bat everyone will say rebuild the carb. Even the manual says worn jets.

Just looking for anything else we can do before I start throwing money at it.

I have read through a Haynes manual, it was daunting cause its not specific to my model.

Also its says before you start adjusting your mixture, make sure that EVERYTHING else is in order.

Emissions, valves, timing, etc…

I’m not trying to pass smog or anything, would just like it to run a bit cleaner without hurling money at it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Here are the free FSM's (Factory Service Manuals) in digital print. You have a 1982, so look for the 1981, he seems to have the 1980 2F engine manual so that is also good to use, just click and download the PDF. BTW, it is not a Jeep, it is a FJ40 Landcruiser. Calling it a jeep, is like calling a Ford a Chevy.

If you need more help, you are in Lomita, not too far away from Mark's Offroad. @65swb45

For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

You couldn't have burned all that gas, check for gas in the oil. It went somewhere. BTW welcome to MUD.

The Jeep was parked outside for 10 years about 5 miles from the ocean with a full tank of gas in it.

When we drained the tank and inspected, it was clean!!!

New Battery, Plugs, fuel filter, air filter, gas and oil, primed the fuel pump and it started right up, and idled fine and accelerates fine.

Carb looks clean from the top. The jeep is all there all the emissions are all plugged in.

Here’s the problem:

The thing runs so rich, that after tinkering with it for about an hour I used up the 4 gallons of gas that I had put in it.

I have played with the Idle mixture screw and it has no effect, well one effect when you turn it all the way closed it pollutes even more.

The nipple next to the idle mixture screw was clogged, I unclogged it, no effect. Well one effect it seems to need the choke to start now, It didn’t need it before I started messing with the carb.

It pollutes in idle and when you hit the gas, it seems to clear up on deceleration just before it goes into idel.

Also while it was running out of gas it leaned out, idled a bit high and ran clean for a minute.

I know right off the bat everyone will say rebuild the carb. Even the manual says worn jets.

Just looking for anything else we can do before I start throwing money at it.

I have read through a Haynes manual, it was daunting cause its not specific to my model.

Also its says before you start adjusting your mixture, make sure that EVERYTHING else is in order.

Emissions, valves, timing, etc…

I’m not trying to pass smog or anything, would just like it to run a bit cleaner without hurling money at it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
needle valve sticking or float not floating

THANK YOU SIR!
If I could edit the word Jeep out I would :)

Hey by the way does anyone know what FJ stands for?
A friend of mine said foreign jeep, not sure I believe that.

Just an update, we had the carb rebuilt, then we went to smog test and failed, the carb shop then leaned out one of the main jets, we tested again and the result was the same for 25mph and actualy higher for 15 miles an hour. The carb shop is offering to take a look again.
Meanwhile I'm pretty sure my OC thermo sensor is bad, no reading on the ohm meter.

Hmmm a rebuild should have cleared the crud out... idle speed setting to high, pushing plate past idle slot, bypassing mix screw. Back off idle speed, gently bottom out idle mix the back it out 4 turns. Turn idle speed screw to JUST touching the link tab and then add a half turn. Fire rig up- it will chug slowly cause idle speed is backed out and mix is set to rich. Add idle speed till rpm is about 600-650. Turn idle mix screw in till idle drops notably. Add idle speed screw till 650 rpm. Adjust mix screw out and in to verify it is still metering then set it back where it was. Check for fuel in oil pan- that could be a bad fuel pump diaphragm and must be fixed. Hth

Idle speed should end up at 650 @7* advanced timing with greater than 16.5” of vacuum. At sea level, you should see about 10-20” in a healthy motor with a good tune.

Thanks, I was gonna start looking at the timing next, hey quick question, he only leaned out the primary Jet.
At what speed does the secondary jet circuit take over?

All the way wide open...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom