For Sale 1982 fj purchase advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi,

I am looking to purchase this vehicle and wanted to get your advice. I am looking for originality and reliability. The vin plate shows nov 1981. The engine is color blue. Is there any reason for this? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Is this a us spec vehicle? Does the vin match the frame and engine? If there is any questions I should ask the seller please let me know and I can reach out. Thank you all in advance.

FF12F1CD-8A50-4CF3-B9AA-FECF22E0E952.jpeg

C029988C-BC68-4F7B-A1D6-EFBEC8CA8F41.jpeg

178E1A6C-9B6E-44D6-BF6C-A3B0D6EE5FB6.jpeg

EF827FA0-4569-4F27-8786-092A964308AF.jpeg

775E522B-7938-48EC-AD09-1307A93C3D5F.jpeg

Nov 81 would be an 82 model year. Steering wheel is not 82. probably 80 or earlier, cut for flares - not uncommon, wheels are 60 series, engine paint may be from a rebuild. How much are they asking? Price is the determining factor. 82's are rare! It's absolutely a US Spec truck. Reliability depends on maintenance. Once you have corrected any mechanical needs it should be quite reliable with proper maintenance. It's a Toyota!

Last edited:
Looks like they have a few. Who is the seller?

They are asking for $22k which includes about 4 in maintenance. That is from the shop doing the work on the engine. Does the rust seem to be more surface rust? I did not see any rot through when looking at it. Should the vin on the door, frame and engine match?

They are asking for $22k which includes about 4 in maintenance. That is from the shop doing the work on the engine. Does the rust seem to be more surface rust? I did not see any rot through when looking at it. Should the vin on the door, frame and engine match?
Door / frame yes..

This is an 82, I've got the Vin and Frame numbers. Previous owner bought it from TLC about 12 years ago or so, they had done a Stage 1 refresh on it. It's sitting at a shop in Chatsworth K & H Imports - (reliable Land Cruiser shop)

Current Seller is a Mud member

make sure it passes emissions before buying.

This rig was on craigslist near Tahoe for $15k...sat for a while...was finally bought, dragged it down to California and here we are.

There is already a thread about it here somewhere...

Any reason that you are aware of that it sat for a while?

My experience when I talked to the previous owner:
It didn't run, and hadn't run in quite some time, been sitting outside near Tahoe CA. Owner was super, super nice and just wanted to move on from it, original listing price as stated above was $15k then owner raised the price after all the interest to $18k or so about a week after I talked to him.
However, originally he thought it was an 83 and listed it as 83 - hadn't looked at the vin tag in a while - so that caused all the interest - an 1983 for $15k - WOW let's jump on it.

Turns out it's a 82 - wasn't running and had registered in Nevada - Had to pass emissions to get it back in CA and re-register

The new seller has apparently work out those issues and now needs to move on

If there's any opinion above to be trusted with potential value it's Overton's hands down! Very few have his insight or knowledge when it comes to these.

Last edited:
You need to get in touch with @65swb45 . I am using my private eye skills and I see where this truck is (or at least the shop). it is in @65swb45 back yard. he can do an inspection for you and you will know what this truck needs and what it will cost you. I really like it, and saw it on CL Tahoe back when it was for sale there ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom