1981 Toyota pick-up (Hilux) DIESEL 2wd 1L to 5L ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I'm new to the forum! I live in the US. I have a 1981 Toyota pick-up (hilux) 2wd. I really need help on this one. I have searched all over the internet and no one in the US has any clear answers!

My truck currently has the original 1L 2.2L Diesel with L50 (2wd drive 5 speed transmission)

My goal: swap engine for 3L 2.8l or 5L 3.0l AND add turbo using 2L-TE turbo components and gear (exhaust, intake manifold, turbo, oil feed lines etc)

I've been told that I can swap a 2L or 2L-T or 3L without any trouble, meaning my motor mounts and bell housing will match up perfectly. ( Anyone know if the Oil sumps will be an issue?)

I've also read that people with the 2L or 2L-T can swap a 5L 3.0L with no trouble either.

My thoughts are......... If I can do swap 1L TO 2L, 2L-T or 3L. and if other people can swap 2L to 5L. Then i should be able to swap a 5L diesel in place of my 1L. Is this accurate?
Also would anyone know and that can confirm that 2L-TE turbo components bolt on to the 5L?? I know the exhaust manifold studs may be have to swapped to different holes?

-Any direction desired turbo components shipped to me??

Please let me know if I can clear anything up that isn't clear.
I added a picture of my truck. :)
toy.jpg

Thank you again
smile.gif

I can't help with your problem as I know nothing about Hilux's. But I've got to tell you how cool you ute looks!

Well done

5L is compatible with 2LT as my mate did a direct bolt in replacement of his 2lt in his LJ70.
he used his turbo and inlet exhaust etc. As for fitment into your lux im not sure but as u said if 2lt is compatible then 5l should be no different. As far as i know the only difference is the stroke length making the displacement change

All I'm able to offer is the 3L head is a common replacement for cracked 2LT heads, I have no idea if the blocks and their mounting points are the same however. Very cool little truck though!

Thanks for the responses! definitely helps out. I'm trying to import motor and some gear from Japan, obviously want to do all my research before i buy and end up with the wrong motor. any addition input would be much appreciated. I would love some concrete facts and proof

:)WOW!!!! What a clean little truck. I have not seen one that clean for....well...ever!!! Id keep it stock, and just enjoy it. Just like the old Toyota ads "Oh, what a feeling"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom