1980 Longbed Pickup Build - Epically Slow Style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Matte Sahara tan or matte black is my vote.

I dunno, black's not a very flattering colour on a first-gen.
Tan or beige on the other hand...

The tanks are here! :cool:

The old:

IMAG0024.jpg

The new... well, new to me:

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

I know this looks like a scene from American Horror Story, but it's the inside of the tank:

IMAG0027.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pics. I was using my camera on my phone and it's not very good.

Edit: I didn't get a pic of the inside of the old tank but there is still old gas in it. It smells like straight varnish and looks like soup. Also, the pickup tube was totally stopped up. We took it out and ran it through the parts washer, ran a bunch of solvent through the tube and blew it out really well with a blower. It barely had ANY air coming out before and now it's like it's coming straight out of the blower.

Matte Sahara tan or matte black is my vote.

I dunno, black's not a very flattering colour on a first-gen.
Tan or beige on the other hand...

I like the tan, but only if the truck was already tan. If I decide to actually go through and paint it, I'd really like to go back to the blue. I've had many 80's and 90's Toyotas with the "classy" 80's blue interior.

Any shade of tan really grows on you on the 1st gen. My stock tan is almost prefect camo for the bleached out grass we have out here. If I were in your shoes I would either do a cheesy quick tan paint job or go all out and do the body work and make it the blue you want.

I will probably paint mine next year, not because I want ot to be shiny, just because I don't want it to rust away over time. I will probably do either flat desert tan, stock color tan or something close or maybe an off white. I want to make a trayback style bed that looks like african military issue... If I do that it will probaly be a flat paint job, if I keep the stock bed I will go gloss.

So I started repairing the rear harness and I gotta say... wow. Between the harness being hacked numerous times by who all knows and the ground being bad under the bed, this thing is jacked. The factory clamps/splice points are all corroded and the ground wires look black like they're all burnt. I can see for sure that I will need to just run all new ground wires but I'm seriously considering just laying the harness out and fabbing up a whole new one. :bang: I would still have to use the factory connectors but at least all the wires would be solid. I'll try to snap some pics this weekend.

I'm back!!! :grinpimp:

So I finally have an update on the build and there was some actual measurable progress!!!

Things have been mad crazy around my house trying to get ready for the little :princess: to arrive. Countdown is about 6 weeks!! Aaaahhhhh!!! Anyway, back the the truck...

So I repaired the harness. I didn't document everything but I basically cut it where it splits to go to the tail lights and rebuilt it from there.

Harness re-installed:
381037_10150512112719291_549574290_8487643_735435677_n.jpg

New ground point:
397213_10150512112909291_549574290_8487644_495204160_n.jpg

Tank is installed and has fuel in it. This thing runs like a champ!!! I need to re-adjust the carb tho. I have it adjusted for starving for fuel and now it has plenty.
402097_10150512113099291_549574290_8487645_1616961172_n.jpg

Started installing the body lift. I just decided for now to install the 3" as is just so I can get the beast back together. I'll tweak it later. In order to install the lift you have to modify the filler neck. Sounds pretty easy right? Wrong! :mad: The metal pipe that they sent to extend the hose is the same diameter as the hose! Yeah, that's not going to slide over. So after fighting it for quite a while I went down the the local hardware store. Why, yes, that is a piece of threaded plumbing pipe. 4" x 1.5" fit perfect. I actually cut a relief in the rubber and screwed it in. The clamps are just for good measure. That thing is tight as heck!!! Got a good arm workout screwing it in there.
398526_10150512113259291_549574290_8487647_782959509_n.jpg

With the help of a good friend (endless thanks to Jim for helping) we man-handled the bed back on with the 3" spacers. We actually lifted/scooted the bed back on then lifted it and slid the spacers in. Looks a little funny with the bed so high and the little tires on there! :hillbilly:
395420_10150512113794291_549574290_8487652_2131624489_n.jpg

388877_10150512112559291_549574290_8487641_1825871552_n.jpg

Putting the bed back on was at least a :banana::banana::banana: job with just 2 people so I'm going to get the rusty floor fixed and drive that beast up to the shop here so I can use a lift to do the cab. It will save smashed fingers and lots of colorful language. So all that's left to do at this point (before bringing it to the shop) is the floor. I did find an interesting problem that I didn't know I had, when the big plug at the bottom of the steering column is plugged in, the fuel pump doesn't pump. Something is def wrong with the electrical on this truck. That will be another task to tackle once I get it up here to the shop.

Awesome! Keep it up and congrats on the coming lil one!

Awesome! Keep it up and congrats on the coming lil one!

Thanks! This is our first so I'm trying to rush and get the truck road worthy (or at least enough to drive it to the shop) in the next couple weeks. I'm sure things are going to be completely bonkers when she does grace us with her presence so the truck will have to go on the back burner for a bit.

Small update: Going to cut the floor out and make a new one this Sunday. I will take my camera so I can get some decent pics. Going to tighten the bed down so it will be road ready. Depending on the time I may go ahead and drive it to the shop. Also should be able to pick up the wheels soon (next week or so) so I can get my hand-me-down tires mounted.

Thanks! This is our first so I'm trying to rush and get the truck road worthy (or at least enough to drive it to the shop) in the next couple weeks. I'm sure things are going to be completely bonkers when she does grace us with her presence so the truck will have to go on the back burner for a bit.

Congrats on the new :princess: headed your way, and yes life as you know it is about to be turned on it's ear.... but it will be the best mess you are ever a part of. Mine is almost 21 months and time is definitely a premium commodity these days. Gotta work things in between honey do's and diaper changes, but she is definitely Daddy's Girl, loves being in the garage and playing with the combination wrenches :) but I have to keep the screwdrivers put up.

She even went on her first ride down at Golden Mountain at the ACC ride last fall. Rode all day and even helped "change" Zack's front brake line.

Oh and the truck is coming together nicely. I love the early 80's bodies. I know where there is one that would make a good project, but I already have enough projects going on right now.

Congrats on the new :princess: headed your way, and yes life as you know it is about to be turned on it's ear.... but it will be the best mess you are ever a part of. Mine is almost 21 months and time is definitely a premium commodity these days. Gotta work things in between honey do's and diaper changes, but she is definitely Daddy's Girl, loves being in the garage and playing with the combination wrenches :) but I have to keep the screwdrivers put up.

She even went on her first ride down at Golden Mountain at the ACC ride last fall. Rode all day and even helped "change" Zack's front brake line.

Oh and the truck is coming together nicely. I love the early 80's bodies. I know where there is one that would make a good project, but I already have enough projects going on right now.

Thanks man! I'm pretty excited about it. I'm sure she will be too little to take to GSMTR this year but I should be able to get her and the wifey up there next year. I want to make sure she is exposed to a lot of stuff like that so she will be more inclined to want to do outdoors type of stuff instead of just sitting around inside all day on the computer or playing video games or whatever.

Small update on the floor-plan (haha) for Sunday: the plasma cutter we were planning on using is not going to be available so we will have to use either an electric grinder with a cut-off wheel (it's pretty powerful) or air powered tools. The air tools are def going to be second choice since the compressor we are going to be using is not that strong and has a fairly small tank.

Cancer Surgery

So I trudged over to Jim's again yesterday even though the weather did not look promising. The weather report said it wasn't going to be rainy though.

What a lovely day to work on the truck :rolleyes:

398657_10150544328684291_549574290_8587095_285991124_n.jpg

So we pushed Jim's Chevy 2 race car and his 64 Chevy truck out of the garage so we could pull the pickup in. It's still not running right and I'm suspect of the vacuum lines. I know that there is a lot of stuff that is running to the wrong place and some are just looped. It's acting like it has too much air. We adjusted the mixture screws and it didn't change the high idle. Another thing to tackle once the beast makes it to the shop. Awesome.

So, I know my strengths. You want an engine rebuilt? Electrical wiring? Other mechanical? I'm your guy! Body work... not so much. So I enlisted Jim to "help" with the floor which basically means he pretty much did it all and I just cut metal and helped where needed. I did manage to get the bed tightened down with the 3" lift pucks in place. It seems like the bed is a little crooked. It's closer to the cab on the driver's side than it is on the passenger side. The header panel on the bed is also bent towards the cab so I think that's making it look worse than it really is. Once I have access to the lift I may loosen it and see if I can adjust it a little bit. I also finished running the wiring for the tail lights and installed them temporarily. I went ahead and pulled the rest of the broken dash pad off while I was idle. The metal is painted blue already and doesn't look too bad so I'm just going to leave it as is. I will need to do some more cutting and massaging on my "in-dash nav" that I installed. :hillbilly: So I can get it to sit down in the dash a little better. So, on to the pics. I only got a few of the floor work. I will snap some of the other progress later. Sorry for the poor quality pics. I forgot to bring my camera so I just snapped them with my cell phone.

Cutting out the Cancer (I did this part):

397169_10150544328959291_549574290_8587097_697835204_n.jpg

405207_10150544328834291_549574290_8587096_925267838_n.jpg

Cancer removed (I did this part):

398407_10150544329069291_549574290_8587098_156031840_n.jpg

New floor piece tacked in (Jim did this part):

407197_10150544329159291_549574290_8587099_1140341772_n.jpg

Shaping as the floor is installed (Jim did this part also):

400876_10150544329544291_549574290_8587101_433446177_n.jpg

Finshed and coated with LOTS of 3M seam sealer:

396097_10150544328524291_549574290_8587094_1891038103_n.jpg

I know it's not real pretty but it doesn't matter. I'm going to let that cure really well and then clean the floor really well, lay down a coat of primer, and then cover it with some bedliner-in-a-can. That will seal it up well enough to protect it from water/mud/etc. I reinstalled the bucket seats and...

The good news is, now it's drivable!!! :steer:

Edit: I need to work up a fix for the gas pedal. The first gen has a pedal that's mounted to the floor and obviously mine was rusted away. I do have the pedal but I think I'm going to see if I can just find a generic one that will mount to the rod.

Last edited:
Poco a poco (little by little). Nice...keep it up. :D

Quick update:

I went to go get the truck and drive it to work at lunch today. I made it about a quarter of the way here and decided it would be wise to go get the trailer and get it that way. I knew the clutch was bad (PO told me and I could tell it was jacked from driving it around while working on it) but I didn't realize HOW bad. The clutch is TOAST. I already ordered an HD clutch from Marlin but I wanted to put it in at the shop for obvious reasons. I figured, it can't be that bad right? Well, it is. I was going down a 45 MPH speed limit road and only going about 25... in 4th gear... at about 5000 RPM. Not good. And the clutch was just slipping so badly I couldn't even get it to go by giving it more gas. SO, when I get off tonight at 6 I'm going to load up the trailer and go pick up the truck which is hopefully still where I left it. :bang:

wow, that sucks.
Looks like the Tundra was a wiser purchase than it seemed at first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom