1980 FJ40 gas tank ID and recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Supposedly I have a 1980 FJ40, but a while back it was suggested that it might be a 1979 by an acquaintance.

I'm trying to find a replacement gas tank, as mine is full of rust - I have a cheap fuel filter in line before my fuel pump and it regularly gets full of rusty particles.

I want to get a tank with a return line already on it so I don't have to have a port fabricated after purchase - going to hook up a wix filter with a third nipple to deal with the excess pressure coming from my electric fuel pump.

Questions -

I would like to be sure I order the right tank for my possible Frankenstein truck. Can someone help me verify this will work for both fit and return port?

Secondly - I'm going to take this to the local Toyota dealership to have it replaced - I had a guy that was going to do work for me but he's clearly too busy to fool with it. I want to have my fuel pump that's in my engine bay moved to a better location but still in an easy to locate area so I can replace it when it fails. Can someone describe where I need to put it? Should this be done at the time of the tank replacement or is this a job a guy with zero car maintenance skills can do?

Back in 80's I treated my 72's tank with alcohol proof liner from JC Whitney because it stated to have a little seep at a seem. I drove it for years, then in 2010 I got sick and it sat until a few months ago. Tank still does not leak.

I run an electric fuel pump, to feed a Rochester 2 bbl lit by a Delco dizzy - yea old school mods.

I don’t know where you are located, I’m in Dallas and I have a gas tank I just removed from my 11/79 FJ40. It is original and in excellent condition if you’re interested.

Back in 80's I treated my 72's tank with alcohol proof liner from JC Whitney because it stated to have a little seep at a seem. I drove it for years, then in 2010 I got sick and it sat until a few months ago. Tank still does not leak.

I run an electric fuel pump, to feed a Rochester 2 bbl lit by a Delco dizzy - yea old school mods.
Sounds like your truck has the MAF "Power Pack". In case you didn't know, that Delco dizzzy is a time bomb waiting to take out your engine. The gear that meshes with the cam was not cut to stock Toyota specs and it is eating your cam gear splines.

Not sure why friend thought it was a 79. Gas tank was in the same location both years. I show a change in the tank 6/79. But also shows the next tank as a sub which means most likely the earlier tank would work on the later 40. 1/79 was the major change including gas tank location.

If your fuel tank is under the truck body, as it should be for a 1980, that is the tank you need. You should also ditch the electric fuel pump and install the proper mechanical pump that has a return port.- if it's not under the truck body, where should I look for it?

I have a spare OEM mechanical fuel pump that the PO gave me, but I'm unsure if it's operational, so I'd probably opt for finding a new one. I guess that's a pretty hotly debated topic (OE vs Electrical) and I've thought about putting the OE back on a few times since it seems like fairly simple surgery for a novice...

Not sure why friend thought it was a 79. Gas tank was in the same location both years. I show a change in the tank 6/79. But also shows the next tank as a sub which means most likely the earlier tank would work on the later 40. 1/79 was the major change including gas tank location.
I think there was question due to some markings or other equipment on the truck - it was some time ago and unfortunately I've forgotten what was suspect. Thanks for the input though, that gives me more confidence in getting this thing ordered!

I don’t know where you are located, I’m in Dallas and I have a gas tank I just removed from my 11/79 FJ40. It is original and in excellent condition if you’re interested.
I'm in Huntsville Alabama, so not TOO far but I'm not sure what shipping on a big awkward lump of metal like that would be - why are you getting rid of it? Seems like a critical part to have!

I have no idea what shipping would be.
I removed the tank because I changed from leaf springs to coilovers and links. The tank had to be changed to allow for the up travel. I’ve had it for 35 years and as I’ve gotten older wanted a better ride.
If your interested, I would ask for $150 plus shipping and if you want I can look into what shipping would be.

I think there was question due to some markings or other equipment on the truck - it was some time ago and unfortunately I've forgotten what was suspect. Thanks for the input though, that gives me more confidence in getting this thing ordered!

Only thing I can think is the stands out between the 79 and 80 model is 55 is highlighted on the speedometer. 4/79 )mid model year) fuel door hinged on the opposite side. Believe 4/80 was the month another bar was added to the spare tire carrier. Go down to bottom of the main page to the 45 section. There is a sticky for the long wheel base truck list. First post has link to Specter Off Road's chart on 40/45/55 VIN. Using that you can tell what month your FJ40 was made. The number on the chart is the first one made that month. If you have a FJ40 originally imported to the US there should be a plaque on the driver's A pillar with month and year of production. If it's not there or from another market SOR's will still work.

Only thing I can think is the stands out between the 79 and 80 model is 55 is highlighted on the speedometer. 4/79 )mid model year) fuel door hinged on the opposite side. Believe 4/80 was the month another bar was added to the spare tire carrier. Go down to bottom of the main page to the 45 section. There is a sticky for the long wheel base truck list. First post has link to Specter Off Road's chart on 40/45/55 VIN. Using that you can tell what month your FJ40 was made. The number on the chart is the first one made that month. If you have a FJ40 originally imported to the US there should be a plaque on the driver's A pillar with month and year of production. If it's not there or from another market SOR's will still work.
Looks like I'm DEC 1979 - wonder how much trouble I'm in with the DMV since I told them it was a 1980...

Can you tell me where you have your electric fuel pump mounted? I am catching hell from people for having it in the engine bay.

Looks like I'm DEC 1979 - wonder how much trouble I'm in with the DMV since I told them it was a 1980...

My 12/79-build 40 was registered as a 1980; very common to do so.

My first electric fuel pump was a universal (isolated mount) rotary vane type $$$, that lasted about 11 years. That pump bracket was mounted below the battery. I then switched to a diode electric pump that also lasted 10+ years and just mounted on the old bracket, cost like $10. I'm on the 3rd diode one now (since about 1990).

I guess it would be considered in the engine bay, although near the bottom. I have never had a diode pump leak, they have all just quit working after about 10 years or so.

I just went out and looked, the pump is about 3" above the bottom of the fender.

I bought this one from rock auto. I think it is the same as the one from cruiser corps but less than half the price.

One note there is no drain on the bottom of these aftermarket tanks.

Screenshot_2023-08-02-07-10-48-45_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I bought this one from rock auto. I think it is the same as the one from cruiser corps but less than half the price.

One note there is no drain on the bottom of these aftermarket tanks.

View attachment 3390213
I have a really dumb question -
I assume one of the holes on top is attached to the place you put gas into the tank at the gas station - what's the other (big) hole for?
I'm also guessing the big "finger" is the hookup for the gas pump to pull out of the tank - what are the three smaller fingers used for?

The big hole in the center is for the sending unit that tells how full the tank is. The tub have a plate that allows excess to the sender.

I have a really dumb question -
I assume one of the holes on top is attached to the place you put gas into the tank at the gas station - what's the other (big) hole for?
I'm also guessing the big "finger" is the hookup for the gas pump to pull out of the tank - what are the three smaller fingers used for?
As LITP said one of the "big" holes is for sending unit. The other is for fuel pick up and return for fuel pump. The large finger is the overflow on fill nozzle for gas station visits. The three smaller units go to the vapor accumulator(?) that is located behind the cover on passenger side B pillar.
HTH
Doseman

The gas station fill is locted below the large finger. It is hard to see in the picture.

As LITP said one of the "big" holes is for sending unit. The other is for fuel pick up and return for fuel pump. The large finger is the overflow on fill nozzle for gas station visits. The three smaller units go to the vapor accumulator(?) that is located behind the cover on passenger side B pillar.
HTH
Doseman

The gas station fill is locted below the large finger. It is hard to see in the picture.
Huge help, thank you! So there's one hole for both pickup and return? Is there some kind of manifold that screws into that port that has an opening for two fuel lines (one going out, one coming back in)? Just trying to visualize this so I know what to ask of the mechanic doing the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom