Wanted 1978 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
I’m looking for my dads fj40 that was a 1978. He sold it in 1999-2000 in Ohio and we found the vin number today. Is there any way to look up the current owner? I don’t know the correct forum to post on. Thanks in advance!

I’m looking for my dads fj40 that was a 1978. He sold it in 1999-2000 in Ohio and we found the vin number today. Is there any way to look up the current owner? I don’t know the correct forum to post on. Thanks in advance!
Good luck on your search! I do hope you can locate it and that it has not been crushed or that it became a victim of the Midwest rust belt. I would suggest you start with requesting a title search at the DMV in Ohio and follow it from there.

Good luck on your search! I do hope you can locate it and that it has not been crushed or that it became a victim of the Midwest rust belt. I would suggest you start with requesting a title search at the DMV in Ohio and follow it from there.
I tried the dmv and they would not release a name for privacy issues. I will try again!

I tried the dmv and they would not release a name for privacy issues. I will try again!
One thing you could try is to use the SEARCH function, top right of the page, dump the vin there and see what comes up.

1614393241454.png

I know in WA, if you have the vin you can go to licensing and pay a fee (like $40) and they will give you the current owner’s info. Usually this is for people that have the vehicle and no paperwork so you’re trying to reach the last registered owner to release interest in the vehicle. You could see if Ohio has that. You’d likely have to imply you have the vehicle and are trying to get them to release interest to you. If they won’t currently tell you the name, that’s a plus because it likely means it’s still in their system in Ohio.

Looks like in Ohio you’d want to fill out a bmv record request form indicating a title search on that vin.
Hope you find it! Definitely report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom