1978 FJ40 Coolant Amount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rmlca.ab.ca
For those of you that have a FSM, how much coolant is in the cooling system of a 1978 FJ40? I have drained the system and want to know how much anti-freeze to put back in.

I can't measure how much I took out because I spilled a bunch. I could guess, but I thought I would ask first. I have searched, but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks, Kevin

my book says 38 us pts, or 32 imp pts or 18 litres. Use whatever measurement you have up there.

I put in a new radiator and when filling it up, came up short when compared to the capacity. In my case, it seems not all of the coolant was drained from the system, i.e. there was still some in the engine block, the heaters and such. If you end up getting full before you have put in the full amount, you may be having a similar issue. I would recommend you pre-mix so that you don't end up potentially unbalanced.

18 litres sounds about right, but x2 on pre-mixing. I recently drained at the radiator drain so I could get the radiator repaired, then drained the oil cooler with the rear heater suspended from the rollbar and got ~12 litres. The system was always full as long as I have had the cruiser. My rear heater, front heater, lines and oil cooler were basically emptied, although I know there is some coolant left in the block. Could be another 5-6 litres or so in there, I suppose.

Prestone sells a 1/2-1/2 pre-mixed jug of coolant. You may want to top it all off with that.

Last edited:
I put in a new radiator and when filling it up, came up short when compared to the capacity. In my case, it seems not all of the coolant was drained from the system, i.e. there was still some in the engine block, the heaters and such. If you end up getting full before you have put in the full amount, you may be having a similar issue. I would recommend you pre-mix so that you don't end up potentially unbalanced.

I use a premix so I don't have to be concerned about the mineral content coming out of the hose or container. The SHELL ROTELLA® ELC
Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze is available in a 50/50 and 60/40 volume mixtures of Shell Rotella® ELC with deionized water. The inhibitors in ROTELLA ELC, due to their special chemistry, are designed to go 600,000 miles on-road or 12,000 hours off-road with only one Shell Rotella ELC Extender addition at 300,000 miles or 6,000 hours. It's worth the money. I run it in both my Turbo diesel and my FJ40. It has been in my turbo diesel for over 8 years.

has anyone ran into problems with air in the system before?my 40 seems to be running hot, it dosent say so on the dash, but damn this thing is hott. i just installed my ccot radiator,hoses, and also i took of my heater core because the darn thing has a crack on the inlet tube, so i ran a new heater hose from the block exit to the spliter between the 2 lower radiator hoses there was a prestone splitter already installed , that i took out because the hose runs lower than the radiator top so i figured all the air would runout.. i dont think this would cause a problem if theres air trapped in there becuase the main flow of coolant isnt there. Also i noticed after a shot trip when i got back the bypass hose clam had come off, now either i forgot to tighten it, or it blew off due to a high pressure. the thermostat is installed correctly. Im going to pull the block plugs tomorrow to see if i can find some blockage.When i start the truck up for a few with the cap off it will start to flow out the radiator. Now fj40jim did say that the carb is running lean due to all the ports being capped off. but so lean that is run really hot? does anyone know where a idle mix screw is for a 78cali spec carb so i can add some more fuel to it, are there jets in these carbs. didnt mean to change the subject. thanks

The reason I was draining in the first place was to install a Block heater while I had the intake and exhaust manifolds off. So I definitely drained the block. Is there a drawback of having too much coolant and not enough water? It gets to -30F up here in the winter, and the Cruiser may be parked on the street from time to time, so I definitely want to make sure I have enough.

Yea having more coolant than water can have an effect on it tempature effectiveness. usally they have it on the back of the bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom