Builds 1978 BJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good idea going big on the snork, takes a bit of air to feed an LS. You're gunna be a master of the lobsterback by the time you get all that done :D

For the fan, another option to look at is a (Lexus?) hydraulic one, driven off the power steering & pretty low profile. Electric fans often struggle to keep things cool on a V8 swap.

Cheers
Clint

I made a boo boo, i put the 60 series gearbox in the same place the old 4 speed was because i didnt want to alter the drive shafts, but i forgot the 4 speed and the 5 speed need different drive shaft lengths. So if im gunna alter drive shafts i may as well move every thing back a bit to make room for a decent fan. Anyway i know a guy who can modify my drive shafts and hopefuly wont charge an arm and a leg.

Lobsterbacks are easy when its just welding together cut tube, it starts getting hard when you need to mark it out on a flat sheet, roll it and lock it together with male and female interlocking swages. :bang:

An engine driven fan is always the best I reckon. A bit more weight on the back wheels wouldn't hurt either :)

You guys have a lathe don't you? Modding driveshafts may not be difficult for a man of your talents. Shortening them at least. The ends spigot into the tube, part them off at the weld carefully so you don't cut into the spigot too much, pull off & cut down the tube then true them up & tack them in the lathe. I got Rosie to rotate the lathe by hand as I fully welded them, looks factory. If you get them good & straight they likely won't need any balancing.

Cheers
Clint

I started making some new door hinges, so when its got the soft top on and i want the doors off its just a matter of undoing the door stops and 4 nylocks.
DSCN2927.jpg

An engine driven fan is always the best I reckon. A bit more weight on the back wheels wouldn't hurt either :)

You guys have a lathe don't you? Modding driveshafts may not be difficult for a man of your talents. Shortening them at least. The ends spigot into the tube, part them off at the weld carefully so you don't cut into the spigot too much, pull off & cut down the tube then true them up & tack them in the lathe. I got Rosie to rotate the lathe by hand as I fully welded them, looks factory. If you get them good & straight they likely won't need any balancing.

Cheers
Clint
I reckon ill have a go at the drive shafts me self then, but im not sure how much shorter the drive shaft should be compared to the distance from the trancfer case flange to the diff flange, if i leave them too long it might end in carnage. I think theres uasally about 10mm clearance when the truck is sitting on its wheels, But i don't want to make a mistake.

I reckon ill have a go at the drive shafts me self then, but im not sure how much shorter the drive shaft should be compared to the distance from the trancfer case flange to the diff flange, if i leave them too long it might end in carnage. I think theres uasally about 10mm clearance when the truck is sitting on its wheels, But i don't want to make a mistake.

Yep, too long is bad. Ideally you need to measure the length at either end of the suspension travel which is a bit trickier on a leaf sprung axle. On mine i just popped out the coil springs & the bumpstops, & sat the chassis on bits of wood (that were about the thickness of a fully squished bumpstop) on the axle.

Cheers
Clint

Im starting to question everything , my bush truck seriously needs more power .And im starting to think the best way to get it is put the engine and gearbox i got for the 40 series in the 70 series, and put the gearbox from the BJ73 in the 40 behind a turboed 3B or a 15B-FTE . I dunno

DSCN2984.JPG

Its decided , the LS1 in the 40 series is going in me bush truck
IMG_8815-L.jpg

I'm going to get everything sorted before i rip into the 70 series, so it doesn't spent too long parked in the shed

I still dont know what engine will end up in the 40 series .

Its decided , the LS1 in the 40 series is going in me bush truck
View attachment 2062655

I'm going to get everything sorted before i rip into the 70 series, so it doesn't spent too long parked in the shed

I still dont know what engine will end up in the 40 series .

the best swap in france is use a 13BT to replace the original motor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom