1977 FJ40 Cutting Off at Light- Need Assistance adjusting carburetor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had to leave the choke slightly out on my 1977 FJ40 so I don't stall at lights. My over zealous father in law made some funky adjustment to the carb and now it stalls at lights. I had read a post that someone had placed on here with simple instructions and a diagram. turn idler screw 3 turns, mixture screw so many turns etc. Can anyone help me with that?

Good question- I’m not sure - how would I know?

It's a metallic cylinder with a wire at the top, back, inside corner of the carb. You can usually hear and/or feel it click when you turn the ignition switch to the "run" position. The typical symptom of an idle solenoid not picking up is failure to idle without a little choke. It's fused by the "engine" or "ignition" fuse.

Good question- I’m not sure - how would I know?

Spotcruiser- i located the idol solenoid is connected. I heard it click as I connected and disconnected. The engine also cutoff when it was disconnected.

Added some images of the carburetor

3CAB0D7E-9056-4652-BC56-2BD4812500BE.jpeg

650BA8FE-97CD-466A-B848-BC3455B7614E.jpeg

I started having the same issue on my 76. When I checked the voltage to the carb solenoid it read 9.86. So, I assumed that the low voltage (not 12v) might cause the solenoid to work correctly. Since I already have an auxiliary fuse panel with an unused circuit, I simply ran a good 12v wire to the solenoid and the issue was resolved. I really didn’t feel like tracing wires to find out why the other wire was reading low voltage. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom