Builds 1975 FJ45-Running Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking great Tom, might want to double check that bezel before the bezel police show up mate. :hmm:

I would have a look again, thick side is at the top in all but the first photos in the thread then I bought it.

Delays as usual but think I am on the last to do list, fingers crossed.

20181228_185748.jpg

Sanded and painted the bonnet today, should have its final coat shortly before going on it the morning.

Both guards are fixed, pulled off the guard support and got rid of the hidden rust. Welded new steel in before filling. Still got to stand tomorrow, hopefully will be painted by the end of the weekend.

20181228_185810.jpg

Door seals are in and made up strikers for the later model doors to fit my early tub. Interior is just about done, got new seatbelts this morning and fitted. Got to figure out how to get the rear glass in properly as it's not sitting all the way in. And how to get the 1/4s in too, any tips?

Had the front end apart again, e locker is in the front. Wont be getting wired up till after cert as it's not a priority. Resonator welded in the exhaust, bit quieter to pass cert but lost the turbo whistle......

Lots of odd jobs to tidy up when the guards and bonnet are on. Got 5 more days off so might get the majority of the list done. Should be able to go for a drive without getting funny looks from a half finished truck.

20181228_185806.jpg

Making more progress, currently painting the right hand guard. Given up on the left for the moment.

20181230_123043.jpg

Glass is in, dont want to have to do that again. Hard job with some rope and my flatmate.

20181229_183814.jpg

My neighbour over the road owns a carpet shop and came over and made up some patterns for the tub. Carpets cut with underlay, should make a big difference with the road noise. Cut some squares for the back pannel behind the seat as I think quite a lot oof noise comes through there. Any other areas you guys recommend? Done body deadner on the underside of tub and will do inside the guards. And the is stick on soundproofing up the inside of the firewall.

20181229_183830.jpg

20181229_183755.jpg

Went for a spin down the road yesterday, looking forward to getting this finished.

Should of taken a better photo..... Just about done. Finished the bodywork, wired the indicators, sorted the reversing lights, heater is in (but no pipes). Happy with how its looking just a few things to tidy up before cert.

20190101_113232.jpg

-Rubber flares for the front guards
-Mudflaps for the back, need some convayer belt rubber from work.
-Got a bit of a diesel leak from the tanks vent that I need to look at.
-Find the fault in the windscreen washer wireing and run the tube.
-Body deadner the underside of the front guards.
-Get a wheel alignment.
-And fix the oil leak coming from the rear axle end, found today while out for a drive.

Just about there, should be able to get it road legal for my planned trip in Feb unless there any any major hickhups.

Rang the cert guy this morning which was good. Only needed a few days notice if I wanted to drive down to Ashurst (2 hours away) to get the truck checked. But he comes up to Napier every three weeks when he has a few vehicles to check so will wait for him. Saves taking a day off.

Made some mudflaps up after work today from some convayer belt rubber. The front flares have shipped so waiting for them to turn up too.

Went for a wheel allignment, no major issues. Only 10mm out with my tape measure.

20190105_111341.jpg

My mate and I ended up picking up a few parts of another mate. Including another 12ht, 5 speed, 2x4 speeds split cases (one includes handbrake), ff rear diff, 60 ps setup, early 45 chassis and a whole load of bits. Anyone in nz need any parts?

20190105_135243.jpg

Last of the parts picked up at the weekend, took a while to move everything. Still need to find time to sort all the parts out.

20190106_133701.jpg

20190105_135347.jpg

Spent time on wireing this evening, finally found the fault in my wiper motor, two of tye ground wires were backwards. Finally got two speeds again.

Flares are on, had to do it. 50mm to cover the 33s.

Starred to finish off my deck sides, will work on them at the weekend before getting them galved.

My neighbour over the road owns a carpet shop and came over and made up some patterns for the tub..... Cut some squares for the back pannel behind the seat as I think quite a lot oof noise comes through there.

Any other areas you guys recommend?

Like those rear panel pieces ... nice job on having good connections :)

Areas to recommmend to quiet it down ... I think you hit them all I didn’t see if you put anything under headliner ... I could have missed it ... but in such a small area that metal roof is like putting a garbage can over your head and jump around for an hour ... deadner on that would help

IF it’s still bad (highly doubt it at this point) you can wear ear plugs :meh:

Nice job on the build so far !!!

Edit: I just realized there may be many people who do not realize garbage cans were metal at one time ... see mostly plastic these days :)

Failed CERT thos morning....BUT NOT BY MUCH :)

Failed cert on:
-Steering shaft needed a longer spline (50mm colapsability) and 8.8 bolts on the uni splines
-Drive shaft loop, didn't like my design
-Spring washers on Engine mounts
-Remove the return to centre spring on the steering damper

And failed its WOF on a chip in the windscreen and no cert plate....

The steering shaft is the big fix, will need to get one shortened and resplined as no welding is allowed. Most of the other points should be fixed by the end of the weekend.

At this rate u should be ready for a 3200km trip around the top of the north island. In other news bought a bj74 SWB today, 13bt and double cable lockers. Joined the local 4x4 club and decided the fj45 is too nice where some of them go. This should be perfect, planning to do a rough paint job the same colour.

20190118_091853.jpg

After picking the new 70 up and doing a few things on the on Sat I thought I should sort the cert list out.

20190120_175931_resized.jpg

Made a new drive shaft loop, nz cert rules. Welded to the cross member and not going anywhere now.

20190120_160948_resized.jpg

Taken the spring off the steering damper and put spring washers on the engine mounts. Thats 3/4 of the jobs done.

I have taken the steering shaft off the new 70 and will get it shortened for the 45. Will need to be re-splined but found a shop that can do this. And hopefully that should be it for getting cert. Need a new windscreen for the wof and all should be road legal. I was initially dreading going through cert but it has not been too bad, I guess I preempted most issues and fixed things properly.

Tom your journey is almost over and yet just about to begin. Congratulations! I look forward to hearing your impressions on the 13BT vs 12HT.

Tom your journey is almost over and yet just about to begin. Congratulations! I look forward to hearing your impressions on the 13BT vs 12HT.

Cheers, been looking forward to finishing my 45. Talked the the cert guy this morning and he is happy with the bits I have fixed although the driveshaft loop was a bit big but is fine. Most of the paperwork is done and cert plate will be ordered for fitting when the steering shaft is sorted.

The 70 was a bit of a impulse purchase but not a bad buy for $2k, definatly not regretting it after finding most of the issues at the weekend.

Current 70 issues:
-Clutch is stuck to the flywheel
-Hole somewhere in the radiator
-Alternator is not charging
-Rear brakes are garbage.

20190119_211212_resized.jpg

But the engine runs mint, small hint of white smoke when you bump the throttle but goes away quickly. The lockers, 4x4, hubs and front brakes work. The body has bugger all rust but no straight panels, chassis is good from what I can see but surface rust coming up on the running gear/front end so might need a strip and paint. I vacuumed all the rat poop out and water blasted the seats. Currently sitting in the back garden but it will be painted blue to match the 45, although not as nice a job this time.

12ht vs 13bt, similar engines in terms of function, will see how things go. Always preferred the 12ht but the 70 is perfect for what I want. I may try and find a live chassis and body to get it on the road again but might be a while.

Found another 45 picture, need to take more when I am building/doing things. Finished the deck sites and have had them galved, need some more boards but will have to wait till early feb as the macrocarpa guy is away.

20190117_180208_resized_1.jpg

Bought a alloy tool box for the back after deciding secure storage room for my trip was going to be short. Really happy with the Duravault box, well made and fits nicely. Going to install some LED's inside along with two work lights on the headboard.

The front Elockers is just about wired in too, I sorted the motor out and have 7 core trailer wire running up into the cab. It all works but need to decide where to put the rocker switch, I have three switches I need to put somewhere but don't want to cut the dash up. Any suggestions?

Winch is back in after lengthening my winch shaft. Has to make it three sections again with another bearer block. Ended up making up a section with 55 series steering column parts and uni's. Worked well with a much better spline and the shaft is two piece and can be taken apart in the middle at one of the uni's.

20190121_205756_resized.jpg

Ended up re-gaping the rockers last night after a drive, thought the engine was getting a bit of a tick but is must just be in my head as only three needed a bit of a adjustment.

20190122_221621_resized.jpg

Currently trying to figure out how to rebuild the 70's alternator while thinking about my feb trip.

20190122_183929_resized.jpg

Tom I went through a similar issue with my engine. I thought it was ticking so we adjusted the valves. There were a couple that were slightly out of spec. We put it all back together and I still think it has a tick. The engine has over 9k miles on it now and has climbed over the Continental Divide twice.

Tom I went through a similar issue with my engine. I thought it was ticking so we adjusted the valves. There were a couple that were slightly out of spec. We put it all back together and I still think it has a tick. The engine has over 9k miles on it now and has climbed over the Continental Divide twice.

Good to hear its not just mine, more in my head than anything i think. Now I have done it I should not worry so much, just a loud engine.

Got my winch sorted, shaft made up along with a lever.

Any got my shiny cert plate which makes my truck road legal along with a wof. Updated my registration but still have to sort out RUC km.

Cert plate is a bit wrong as it says 80 series brakes and diffs even though it's a mix of 60 and 70 parts......never even mentioned to the guy any 80 parts. Not sure if I should get it corrected or not.

Decided to sort my spare tyre out, after looking at smaller options I ended up making a full size spare fit, 33 on a 15x10 rim.

Removed the small cross brace that a normal spare would sit against and trimmed the top edge of the diagonal support to match the bottom edge. A 33 hits nicely resting again the bottom of my flat deck. Tomorrows job will be to sort the mechanism to keep it up there.

Still planning for my 3200km trip which I am leaving for a week on Monday. Few minor things to fix up including deck sides, spare tyre, work lights and undersealing my front guards. But most should be done this weekend. Three of us are going on the trip with one mate driving his 70 series up from chch. Map shows the rough route in orange but not that well. Starting and finishing in Napier, bottom right of the map/route. Got the first 8 nights/stops drawn on but not much after that. Will be posting photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom