1975 fj40, is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm an 80 series owner and halfast mechanic. I'm always on the lookout for a new "project" and ran across this Craigslist ad for an fj40 rolling chassis a couple hours away. I know next to nothing about the 40 series. Not sure what I would do about a drivetrain for it. It would probably be easiest to find a wrecked early 1980's Toyota pickup to cannibalize.

Anyways, I'm wondering if this would be a decent price and the project worth persuing. If not, what would be a fair offer to make?

1975 Toyota Land Cruiser Fj40

Wow, that sucker is eat up. Trans hump any good?

I'd say $700-$1000. You could part that out and probably get that - although it has significant rust on the body. It would be a big project and tons more $ down the road. That being said, I saved my rig for near extinction, had fun (most of the time), and learned a ton along the way.

I would not be trying for a restore to original. Just something to drive and play in when the weather is nice. Not too worried about the rust in the sheet metal. That's pretty easy to cut out and weld in new. However I would really want to check out the frame really close before buying. I would most likely just take the doors off or cut them down to half doors and install a bikini top unless I could find a top cheap.

I don't think it is worth more than $500 and then only to someone who needs some specific parts that are there and useable. As a candidate for resto or otherwise there isn't a whole lot of value there. My opinion only.

That is worth $300 imho

Body is incomplete
Body is rotting out
Frame is iffy
Axles who knows
No engine
No tranny
Wiring most likely as trashed as the truck
Also, the problem if tracking down little missing things can get tiring. I would recommend getting something that is running for a little bit more. At least you can still drive it and move it around.

500 if the doors are salvageable and if it has a clear title. maybe to 700 if the jump seat frames are good. Its pretty rough and if the frame is shot ignore what I just said and run like hell.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to pass on this one. I thought about offering 400 or 500, but afraid he would be offended by the low offer.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to pass on this one. I thought about offering 400 or 500, but afraid he would be offended by the low offer.

You may be doing him a favor by letting him know the true value.

That happened with me recently. Was looking at a car for my wife. Guy was asking $12k for a vehicle that was clearly worth $6. I shared my research and logic and he thanked me and quickly dropped his price to $7k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom