Builds 1975 FJ40 4.5L cummins build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
So to begin with this is a 1975 FJ40 that was sourced from the second owner out of Redding, CA. This cruiser is 99% cancer free, and really only has minor surface rust (As you can see from the original paint). It came with a 2F motor, 4 speed transmission, and a factory PTO winch.
I realize I am going to make a few enemies on here with what I am about to do to this super clean stock Toyota but I guess causing waves is what I'm good at LOL...

Photos were taken on day 1
IMG_0470.jpg
IMG_6441.JPG
IMG_6443.JPG

To date: both the front and rears have been completely rebuilt, wilwood front discs, GM rear disc brake conversion, hydroboost power brake system, saginaw power steering setup, new skyjacker 2.5" lift springs, all new suspension bushings and hardware, and new procomp ES3000 shocks.

Photos taken after the above has been installed
IMG_6543.JPG
IMG_7008.jpg
IMG_7011.JPG

So here it is... Here you are looking at a brand new turn key 4.5L Cummins Diesel engine delivered from Cummins West out of Redding, CA (Thanks Ed).

To compliment this engine and will be arriving in the next week is the following parts:
Custom machined adapter plate to run a nuetrally balanced GM SB flywheel to the back of the cummins OE flywheel
Custom machined SAE3 (4.5L cummins) Bell housing mount plate to GM SB style bell housing mounts
Custom built nuetrally balanced GM sb flywheel
11 1/2 Center force clutch assembly
Advance adapters Small block bell housing to NV4500 with custom toyota shift fork and sleeve mounts: Will allow me to run the stock FJ40 clutch master and slave
GM NV4500 5 speed
Advance adapter NV4500 to 3 speed toyota transfer case adapter
3 speed Toyota Land cruiser transfer case (For the lower gear reduction)
Custom built drive lines by "High Angle Driveline" in Paradise, CA
and so on...
IMG_7015.JPG
IMG_7018.JPG
IMG_7019.JPG

For the interior:
A pair of GM Tahoe power bucket seats will be mouted up while the rear jumper seats will be recovered to match the styling of the new front seats.
A vintage Heating / AC unit will also be installed... Should be cozy and nice to drive on and off the road... (Photos coming)

Be sure to check out my facebook page for regularly updated photos...

Nice engine. Have used a few of those. That is a very low HP rating. It will be pretty anemic stock. If you need some help with tuning options let me know.

There are a lot of adapter options for the RGT engines that get rid of the bulky SAE housing.

4.5L mock up about to begin

Still waiting for a few parts to complete the drive train installation but I have an appointment with the sand blaster by this Friday so it's bolted up for mock up purposes for now.

Should have all mounts built today...
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg

Nice engine. Have used a few of those. That is a very low HP rating. It will be pretty anemic stock. If you need some help with tuning options let me know.

There are a lot of adapter options for the RGT engines that get rid of the bulky SAE housing.

I would love to talk to you about that... When you have time drop me a line and thank you..

Last edited:
It's been sometime since I updated this build thread.. Sorry about that (Busy, busy, busy)
Got the engine back in the cruiser, installed the clutch master (From Advance Adapters and did not fit worth a crap) and started building the trans tunnel (Wow what a pain).

Moving along... Next on the list of "To do" will be installing a custom built aluminum radiator with electric fan and internal oil cooler along with setting up a T3 turbo system...
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0787.jpg
IMG_0954.jpg
IMG_0952.jpg

nice setup, you will have one great rig when done,

I may have missed something just looking the front mount is designed to work with bellhousing mounts, you have to have side mounts somewhere to counter act the torque, all I saw was the front mount and the trans mount.. ???

Last edited:
More pics and more updates on this cool project pleeeeeeease!!!

subscribed! :popcorn:

I'd also be curious on if you plan on making a conversion kit.

How is the clearance between the oil pan and the propeller housing?

Edit, found their album on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151406478117387.543773.99810662386&type=1

1012621_10151719105412387_1503721214_n.jpg

The Propeller housing has ample clearance from the axle but the oil pan is a tight fit. The guy I am building this cruiser for wanted a cummins powered cruiser for a daily driver ONLY. He had some difficulty getting into the cruiser when it was 100% stock, plus he wants it to look stock so I have been limited on suspension mods to allow for additional clearance. Because of the additional length from the NV4500 I have been very limited as to how far back I mounted the engine with consideration to the rear drive line length and angles.

I am building a custom oil pan and oil pick up tube so that it is off set to the driver side which will allow for enough clearance for normal daily driving conditions. I will also be fabricating a custom passenger side bump stop which will prevent the axle third member from making contact with the oil pan. When all is said and done I should have about 4" of compression travel on the passenger side and about 6"-8" of compression travel on the driver side (Nearly the same travel specs as a stock setup would of had).

The cruiser has 2.5" lift Skyjacker soft ride springs installed with 1" longer front shackles. This gave me just a bit more clearance without going to high for my customer's interest.

*You may ask, "Well why not just offset the engine to the driverside like the factory setup would have there by allowing clearance from the oil pan to the third member?".
Unfortunately the hydroboost brake master limits how far to the driverside the engine can be positioned.

In the end this project should have been coined, "Sticking a whale in a tuna can" LOL :cheers:

I'm about 3 weeks away from jumping back into this cruiser build so stay tuned!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom