For Sale 1972 Toyota FJ40 Beautiful Mostly Original in Wyoming (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have three in the garage and the Mrs. wants her winter time parking space back, so this one has been selected for a new home. It’s a beautiful 1972 Toyota FJ40 that has maintained almost all of its originality. The truck is powered by its original 1F straight six engine and 3 speed transmission. All of the lights, switches, gauges and controls work as designed. The speedometer works but the odometer quit counting miles about 230 miles ago. Actual mileage is roughly 82,100.

This ’40 runs like a Swiss watch on and off the road. It’s as smooth at 60 mph as it is at 20. It doesn’t rattle, shimmy or shake and is a true pleasure to drive. If the truck had another gear, 70mph would be a breeze but with the 3 speed, it will do it, but it doesn’t like it. All functions of the 4WD system work like they did when they were new. The Cruiser does have a small drip that I believe to be coming from the common speedo cable screw-in, about a drop per day. I’ve been told that repair is hardly worth the effort unless you need to go into the tranny for other reasons, so I let it be.

This cruiser originally came with a soft top (one piece drop down tailgate) so the hard top and doors come from a donor. The donor truck was Mint Green and when the previous owner painted it to match, they didn’t paint the inside of the hard top. I believe the paint on the tub of the truck to be original. There is what I believe to be an original dealer ID sticker and some super cool patina on the hood. A small amount of body work has been done to the rear sill of the vehicle, see pics. There is also a “rub” on the body just above the rear wheel on the passenger side. It looks like someone cut it too close to a wooden fence post, but that’s just my own assumption. There is no open or exposed rust spots on the truck.

Here are some cool things it has:

New exhaust

New tires

Front seats professionally reupholstered

New shocks

Here is what it needs:

Someone to drive it!

A headliner

It only has one rear seat (and that one could use a new cover)

New weather seals would be nice but not totally necessary right now.

Please ask any questions you have. This truck is absolutely gorgeous and reliable, but I want to make sure everything is disclosed. Its got a rich history of 46 years and I would love to discuss everything I know about it. The truck is in Cody, Wy. I am asking $20,000.
Find many more pictures here on Photo Bucket

1972 Toyota FJ40 by Electricflee

72 Landcruiser1.jpg

72 Landcruiser8.jpg

72 LC 5.JPG

72 LC 25.JPG

Beautiful example. A little outside my price range, but it's a great looking 40. Good Luck with the sale

Have you tried submitting to bringatrailer.com ? they let you set a reserve and then it's a seven day auction. Tons of 40s sold on there, with the most recent, exceptional version, going for $34,000

I don't think it's an unfair ask, but most people here are looking for one they can get on the cheap and then use their knowledge to work on and improve (at least that's my take). This one doesn't seem to need much.

Have you tried submitting to bringatrailer.com ? they let you set a reserve and then it's a seven day auction. Tons of 40s sold on there, with the most recent, exceptional version, going for $34,000

I don't think it's an unfair ask, but most people here are looking for one they can get on the cheap and then use their knowledge to work on and improve (at least that's my take). This one doesn't seem to need much.
Now that you mention it, that makes sense. I haven't tried BAT or the bay yet...was hoping to sell here where the chances are good it will go to a TLC lovers home. I'm not desperate to sell it, but if my asking price is too much, I have a little room to wiggle.

Can you wiggle all the way down to $12k? (reply with Private Message if you can) :)

Nice truck! Interested but we are a ways off in price. pictures of any rust you can provide?! Looks Like the rear quarter has a bit of rust or was smashed in an accident

Nice truck! Interested but we are a ways off in price. pictures of any rust you can provide?! Looks Like the rear quarter has a bit of rust or was smashed in an accident
The link to the Photobucket above has lots of pictures of that rub on the rear panel. Looks like someone rubbed it on a wooden fence post, but that's my own hypothesis.

I have a little wiggle in the price but if we are WAY off, I probably won't be able to make it work. I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Ive been looking for a DD that's not a show piece but please post up some close ups of all areas on the body that show rust. How bad is the passenger rear fender? It looks like it could use some work. What are the compression numbers on all 6 cylinders? Photo any grease or fluid leaks.

Details like this will be useful. In my judgement from a '30 ft away' type view this could be a $15-17k truck. Without a lot of extra details it's hard to say.

Nice truck.

I think in California you could get the asking price. Might be harder to get it in WY.

Some buyers on fleabay would pay your price.

Nice truck.

I think in California you could get the asking price. Might be harder to get it in WY.
Agree. I had it listed locally and had a TON of interest, even with the price listed on the sign, but no serious offers. Whoever ends up with it will love this truck. I think I'll list it on Bring a Trailer and see what happens.

Agree. I had it listed locally and had a TON of interest, even with the price listed on the sign, but no serious offers. Whoever ends up with it will love this truck. I think I'll list it on Bring a Trailer and see what happens.

Do you have compression numbers for the engine? A video of it running? Its kind of hard for me to be serious on $20k when I don't know how it runs. I think part of the issue these days is convincing someone 1,000 miles or more away to come buy your truck without a lot of information.

GLWA/S

Do you have compression numbers for the engine? A video of it running? Its kind of hard for me to be serious on $20k when I don't know how it runs. I think part of the issue these days is convincing someone 1,000 miles or more away to come buy your truck without a lot of information.

GLWA/S
Hi mattc82,
I don't know how, but I missed your original post..my apologies! I do have a video of the 40 running down the highway. I did not publish it though because I wanted to add a walk around to it and frankly, I just haven't had the time. I'm bringing it to a reputable "old Toyota" mechanic today to pin-point the small oil leak, install a new headliner, and I'll have him get me compression numbers. Another disadvantage to living in my part of Wyoming is: these guys are hard to find, and I'm at the mercy of his schedule. Once I get it back early next week, I'll share a walk around video and more pictures with you. Once I agree with BAT however, I have to suspend all other selling avenues according to their agreement.
I will keep you posted and again, I apologize for missing your first post...

Hi mattc82,
I don't know how, but I missed your original post..my apologies! I do have a video of the 40 running down the highway. I did not publish it though because I wanted to add a walk around to it and frankly, I just haven't had the time. I'm bringing it to a reputable "old Toyota" mechanic today to pin-point the small oil leak, install a new headliner, and I'll have him get me compression numbers. Another disadvantage to living in my part of Wyoming is: these guys are hard to find, and I'm at the mercy of his schedule. Once I get it back early next week, I'll share a walk around video and more pictures with you. Once I agree with BAT however, I have to suspend all other selling avenues according to their agreement.
I will keep you posted and again, I apologize for missing your first post...

No worries, just making observations that might help you and those interested to better understand the details of whats offered for sale. Thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom