1972 FJ55 Driver Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the forum- I’ll share the preservation journey and I appreciate comments, directions, and general $hit from the group.

I bought my ‘72 Pig about a year and a half ago.. it was originally restored sometime in the 90’s. It had a 350 swap (looks like there was a fire at some point), disc brake conversion, ranger overdrive, old man emu lift, and a lot of body filler.

It was a daily driver for the guy I bought it from until he overheated it. Since.. the 350 was toast. I attempted to save it to no avail.

Finally pulled the trigger on a crate 350 swap this week. It’ll get a new exhaust system to pair up, proper master brake cylinder, drive train service etc.

It needs a ton aside from the heart and drive train. I’ll need to track down the typical: body panels, rubber moldings, interior updates. Here’s a few pics of the current and 350 ready to get pulled:

99DE2A0E-E760-46E9-AA68-B832D0A309AE.jpeg

1EA7EC1A-FC6C-4651-A35F-2E9354936286.jpeg

A9356500-B281-41FB-A218-08AA578BC770.jpeg

D7907CDC-7245-4C1B-924E-8B3B300E0706.jpeg

0FC7ACB4-F05A-4C83-B02D-F6ECCD555CF8.jpeg

Good looking start. Great helper too!

Any recommendations on replacement rocker panels? I don't have the time to do a big suspension change, but would like to get new shocks when its on the rack. Any advice is appreciated!

Unfortunately, there is no one making replacement rockers, wheel wells, etc. at the moment.I would post a wanted ad in classifies for BobM rockers. Someone was selling some a while back. Rust repair will be your personal nightmare if you let it. Good luck with the motor swap and wondering if you considered a newer Vortec 5.3 Chevy truck motor instead of the crate 350.

Unfortunately, there is no one making replacement rockers, wheel wells, etc. at the moment.I would post a wanted ad in classifies for BobM rockers. Someone was selling some a while back. Rust repair will be your personal nightmare if you let it. Good luck with the motor swap and wondering if you considered a newer Vortec 5.3 Chevy truck motor instead of the crate 350.
Thanks for the direction on the panels.

As far as the 5.3 vs 350 it all came down to cash and time. I can swap the 350 for a new one in a week.. the 5.3 would require extensive modifications, more time, and more money. I figure I can always do a supercharger or turbo down the road to get more HP. Also, the crate comes with a 3 yr GM warranty.

I suspect lil’john was thinking wrecker motor as opposed to crate when saying similar coin, but yeah it’s time & $$

Great idea until you find out the PO blew a head gasket and cracked the heads.

Eh, not always, but a rudimentary go-through is a prerequisite of installing a ‘yard engine. That is unless you don’t mind pulling an engine a month or so after installing.

Last edited:
Let me ask, what does a crate 350 go for now-a-days? My Dad bought one sometime in the eighties and I'm thinking it was @ $1500.

I’m fortunate to have a great shop and have the means to make the 350 swap happen. It costs $3-4 k to replace the existing motor in this case. That’s labor plus engine costs.

I got in a wreck in my daily last week and either will spend $1200 on an effing rental car for 2 months or drop the change on a new engine and give this pig a new heart.

Must be nice to just say, “Yeah, think I’ll just blow 8 grand worth of pocket change on an engine today.”
Not everyone lives in that world.

View attachment 1795347
Those are friggin bad to the bone though!! I would say that would be the dream engine right? I mean, if you had the ability to do a complete frame-off, dream build.. definitely.

Those are friggin bad to the bone though!! I would say that would be the dream engine right? I mean, if you had the ability to do a complete frame-off, dream build.. definitely.

Absolutely bada$$ - if there was no limit on a budget, and you’re goal was to be boiling 40” swampers!:rofl:

Realistically, you gotta go with what’s actually useful, not just what all the cool kids are doing. I think a stock Cruiser drivetrain should be able to handle 300 hp in most situations, but you start getting over that, parts breakage starts getting more frequent, then the snowball effect of upgrades, next thing you know you have a trailer Queen that’s squirrelly as crack-head on Fremont Street.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom