1969 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had almost forgot about this stuff from a couple years back.
Game plan moving forward: I thing i'm going to enjoy it this summer. Learn how it acts and drives before any modifications or major overhauls. To get it to road worthy I need to:
1. Register. This might be the hardest thing to get done because there is on title. This still hasn't been done and is starting to become a PITA.
2. Get it consistently starting (mainly due to battery). Maintain an idle RPM. I picked up a can of carb cleaner and starting fluid today. I also mixed Stay-bil and Sea Foam into a 5 gallon can ready to go when I get some time. Battery went dead and that helped me identify the Alternator that was to charge, wasn't.
3. Steering is not quite right IAW Mr. Butler. I'll need to go through it and make sure things are top dead center before reconnecting. It does have PS. The box is above the DVR frame rail. After that I'll take it to an alignment shop, if needed. I haven't touched it.
4. License it. I have to get it registered first.
5. Enjoy for the Spring, Summer and Fall of 2019. Yep. About that.
6. Figure out what to do next. See below.

Just wanted to bring this over from the "in ten years" post as a reminder of krap I need, or would like to do.
On Board Air: I think I need a bracket to mount the York to the engine. I need to order parts to plumb it into a small bubble and lines to front and rear. This will also force me to finish the alternator situation.
Break Booster: That will be from scratch. I have no parts so that sucks.
Mount rear seat: I found a Best Top rear seat that folds and flips forward, like a Samurai's would. I'd like to tie it into the Redline cage that is in the rig
Finish the Cage: Redline cage is just tacked in and missing a few bars. I have some 1 5/8" round, a bender and wielder. I wish I has a hard top to set on the rig before I make the cage very permanent. Tie Cage to Frame would be the next step
Build Sliders for 40 and Truck: I don't have the material for that so it is kicked to the back burner for now.
Shocks: I forgot these the first time. Springs are sprung under. Spring numbers: 8401 is front, and 8409 is rear

Last edited:
As you know recently, I identified I had two alternators, one was hooked up / not working, and the other was, there. I hope this paints a good picture of where stuff is on the front of the engine. Standing at grill looking into engine bay, I have a power steering pump at three o'clock, one alternator at five o'clock and the second alternator at ten o'clock. There are two belts. One belt between crank, water pump, three and five. The second belt runs between crank, water and ten o'clock. Both alternators were used to tighten the associated belt. I don't think it had smog junk new in 69, but I know it doesn't have smog junk now.

Here's the thing. I have a York compressors that I'd like to install. I've been looking for a mounting bracket that could be used for the York. The brackets I've found are for an 80. After I find a bracket, location might force me to move stuff.
Where can I find a bracket?

Last edited:
has a york bracket that goes where the alternator at 10 o clock is and moves that alternator to the outside of the york.

So I called Gary. When I told him what I was looking for he said, "Oh Damn. I don't think I have any of those any more." He decide he would need some time to look around the shop.

About 10 minutes later Gary called back. "I looked all around where we normally kept them, and didn't find any. I looked in a few other places too. No luck. While looking, I walked past, I guess my last one, five times before I realized it was hanging there."

Thanks tornadoalleycruiser. I got the last bracket heading my way.

Gary is good people and a small shop.. thanks for supporting him. glad it worked out for you.

A Guard buddy had another York compressor he gave me. I need to clean it up and see what type of CFM it produces. I may have one to donate. Very excited to get the bracket from Gary at Mudrak. I'm dumping junk into my Amazon basket now to finish the OBA project.

While shopping I remembered I have no shocks on the 40. I'm pretty sure I have lifted springs and shackles. In order to figure out how much lift / travel I need to take into consideration, can some one help me figure out the springs and shackle.
008401 and 008409 are painted on the springs.
Can someone tell me the original shackle height so I can account for the difference.
Or an easier method may be to between axle and frame on mine and compare it to a stock rig.

Regardless of how, I need to get this figured out before ordering shocks. I'm also open for suggestion on manufacture.

Damn. I also don't have pump (oops) Bump stops. Damn.

Last edited:
So the way I do it is measure the distance between the axle and the bump stop (after you install them) then subtract that from the distance between the shock mounts and subtract 2-3 inches , so this will be the minimum length of the shock. Then jack up the frame till the tires are hanging and measure for the max length needed again add a few inches to account for flex. remember the more critical is the compressed length as you don't want the shock to bottom out, I always go for the longest possible that will not bottom out.

I know I had been moving at the speed of smell with this. I have been doing stuff, [mainly gathering parts; OBA bracket, York compressor, Tops (hard and soft, full and half), Doors (hard and soft, full/half and half), shocks, springs, shorter shackles] but I need to take a break. I have started a new position at UPS. It will consume most of my time until after the first of the year or so.

Driving at UPS sucks, EVERYTHING. Especially time.
Ordered Sniper TBI Kit, Hell for Stout front bumper and shorter shackles.
Looking for a couple of body mounts to connect just in front of rear axle to bed.

Your axle is held on by springs and bushings not mounts. Let me know what OD, ID, etc you are needing. I have a box of spare bushings.
or if it is body mounts, post us what location, i have leftovers of those also.

Sorry. That was a horrible description of location.
Pictured is the body mount location in question. This was taken on the DVR side, rear of the rear tire looking to the passenger side. There are two ribs under the rear of the tub. The rib forward of the rear tire has a lift block and rubber mount between the frame and tub so I assumed another is needed here. I need to get rid of the body lift stuff.

IMG_20220206_130017108.jpg

Your axle is held on by springs and bushings not mounts. Let me know what OD, ID, etc you are needing. I have a box of spare bushings.
or if it is body mounts, post us what location, i have leftovers of those also.
I will have a need for spring bushings for another project. Looking to make an 88 2wd mini truck safe enough for use a s a DD. I have to get the fuel take issues taken care of before I work on the springs.

I'll look at my leftovers. I think that is a little pad held in with 2 little plastic plugs approx 2" x1"

Thank you for the conformation 2fpower and tornadoalleycruisers. My original description sucked.
Sniper kit with everything else is in. Hell for Stout bumper arrived as well.
Still waiting for shackles. (Grrrrrrrr!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom