1969 FJ40

tornadoalleycruiser

SILVER Star

do you have a ground wire from the engine to the battery and the bellhousing or block to the body. Redundant ground wires are your friend on a land cruiser. The original ground wire goes from Batt to body to engine in one big wire. There is usually another ground from the area by the starter to the frame and body.

You may need to pull apart the solenoid on the starter to install new contacts.
Any luck on vacuum leaks?
If you get it to idle even for a bit and can do it at night, in the dark, shut off the lights and look for an electrical show as wires short and arc as it runs.
Looking at the condition of the solenoid bolts, the top where the positive wire and another come into the solenoid look as expected. The spade terminal that signals the starter to engage / close the start loop (i think that is right) looks to be in OK shape. I don't know how much insulation should be around the spade? It looks like it is a newer spade, insulated well. The bottom nut and bolt of the solenoid look like they have seen better days. I think there is some age and corrosion at the bottom bolt / nut, causing arc. I've looked at this a few times while the garage lights were off. I didn't see any specific hot wires or areas.
I did plug a few more vacuum ports that I could find.

do you have a ground wire from the engine to the battery and the bellhousing or block to the body. Redundant ground wires are your friend on a land cruiser. The original ground wire goes from Batt to body to engine in one big wire. There is usually another ground from the area by the starter to the frame and body.
I have not noticed where any of the grounds land. Let me take a quick look and get back to ya.
The ground lands on the head near cylinder 1 where the alternator bracket attaches. From that same point another ground lands at the frame, near the base of the passenger shock mount. That sounds about right, right?

Last edited:

tornadoalleycruiser

SILVER Star

Run extras like I explained. One from batt to body, both fender and body, and body to engine and engine to frame, frame to batt. I think your spark is a ground issue. And your electronic ignition is on the fender.

Sorry. I missed that the first time. So I should have grounds running everywhere. Here is an idea. From neg bat post to top stud / nut holding starter to bell housing? I don't know if I should have a stud there, but I do.

tornadoalleycruiser

SILVER Star

That would work. Just trying to isolate your issue. you can clean up the grounds later. I had to run jumper wires for temporary grounds to get my truck started. Cruisers are great at killing grounds. I ran many redundant ground wires thru my harness when i rebuilt it.

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I have access to some 1/0 and 2/0 wielder cable and ends. I bet the size will be overkill but I'll make a few extra grounds.

Amazeballs
Really? Amazeballs is what your going with?

Anyway, I dropped the starter and attempted to remove the solenoid off the top of the starter. that did not work so well. Ended up twisting the stud and breaking the exterior housing of the starter solenoid.
Looks like I might be saying amazeballs myself.

IMG_20190612_211118256.jpg

CrowleyFJ40

Take off, eh.

Really? Amazeballs is what your going with?

Anyway, I dropped the starter and attempted to remove the solenoid off the top of the starter. that did not work so well. Ended up twisting the stud and breaking the exterior housing of the starter solenoid.
Looks like I might be saying amazeballs myself.

View attachment 2001689
I was going through the exact same issue. I couldn't get the battery cable off due to corrosion. Swapped starter and it spun super fast and started right up. After sitting for years.

So yes, amazeballs.

Quick review
2. Get it consistently starting (mainly due to battery). Maintain an idle RPM. I picked up a can of carb cleaner and starting fluid today. I also mixed Stay-bil and Sea Foam into a 5 gallon can ready to go when I get some time.
Good battery installed. Cranks
Amazeballs
and starts. I need to get my choke cable moving freely and hooked back up to help on cold engine idle. Currently soaking in a tub of oil.

Top Bottom