1969 FJ40 Land Cruiser Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my FJ40 entered the family almost 12 years ago when my parents bought it off a friend of the family. It had been sitting in a storage shed for quite a while before that so it was in really good condition. After buying it, the FJ sat in the back yard until any of us kids were old enough to drive.

In 2012 while living in the snow up in Colorado my brother was involved in a wreck in the beloved beast. Rolling a complete 360 degrees down an embankment into a field, any other vehicle and my brother would have been much worse off. But he fired her up and drove her back up onto the road as he waited for a tow. It sat under a cover in the back yard for the next 4 years before being returned to Arizona.

After its return i began the process of stripping her down with the idea of keeping it as a soft top jeep style cruiser. What i thought would be a few dollar simple fix to get her back on the road has turned into a 6 month adventure. The first 4 months were spent chasing an electrical problem just trying to get it to start. After exhausting all options and getting a new battery with no positive results i bit the bullet and decided to do it right and embark on the frame off restoration. And this is that story...
154379_4455961368497_919317128_n.jpg
IMG_1926.jpg
IMG_4757.JPG
IMG_4763.JPG
IMG_4769.JPG

We needed to straighten the windshield frame as it was off by about an inch and a half. So we devised a moment arm to apply enough force to pull it back... Yeaaahhhh that turned into a come along attached to the hitch of a suburban slowly ratcheting down as someone heated the frame with a torch and another person with a sledge hammer to "persuade" it to move in the direction we needed.

IMG_5300.JPG
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG
IMG_5312.JPG

After the frame came the chasing of wires and starter solenoids and batteries until months later I gave up and decided to strip her down completely and build it back up... November 19th, 2016

IMG_5946.JPG
IMG_5940.JPG
IMG_5949.JPG
IMG_5945.JPG

I am a helicopter mechanic and have never really worked on a vehicle before but at this point in the build i am completely in awe and enthralled by being able to work on a land cruiser as these things are legends...

IMG_5960.JPG
IMG_5961.JPG
IMG_5962.JPG
IMG_5971.JPG
IMG_5985.JPG

December 10th, 2016 a pretty common repair to fj's is the rotten support in the rear, we replaced this with i inch square steel. also we filled in any and all cracks and crevices to protect against water intrusion

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6371.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

Next up was the spraying of the bed liner to protect against water, rust road debris, and dampen noise. I used U-pol raptor liner and it came
IMG_6378.jpg
IMG_6380.jpg
IMG_6388.jpg
IMG_6389.jpg
IMG_6390.jpg
lly amazing.

Nice documentation. You will find when you research further that your 40 is a '68 like my Ruftoys. Your vin is just a little lower than my October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom