SOLD 1968 FJ40 Austin Texas "Viejo" is: Sold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
White
1968 FJ40 for sale affectionally named "Viejo", asking $14000. True Mileage is unknown due to age. It could have 137k, 237k. Known history of truck - PO acquired it from Colorado (maybe grand junction area). It was registered in Oklahoma and I found it in Fort Worth. Not interested in trades - if you read this ad you'll notice I have plenty of fun stuff already.

IMG_1270.png

I bought this truck 2 years ago after realizing my 1967 FJ40 project was going to be off the road a long time and I wanted a truck to enjoy while I worked on the ’67. This truck is an amazing daily driver and a ton of fun for errands around town or exploring Texas’ dirt roads.
IMG_3757.png

Very dependable - I’ve driven several times between Austin and Houston and had a hoot of a time! Now that my ’67 is near completion, and I happened to buy a 70 series land cruiser, it is time to follow through with my plan and part with the 1968 FJ40.

I drive this truck almost every day and spent the last 2 years repairing anything that came up.

With a cooler full of cold water (for me) I wouldn’t hesitate to take this truck on an adventure across the country. Seriously, it drives as it should, and aside from a repaint that happened some point in her 50+ year old life, it is very original. Some places you can see what looks like the original judson green peeking through.

IMG_2801.jpg

Grab your favorite fuel card and go wandering around in this truck, smiles per mile are guaranteed.

In the 7000+ miles that I’ve put on this truck, I’ve performed the following:
  • Replaced front windshield and OEM Toyota windshield weatherstripping and seals
  • Toyota OEM Door weatherstripping to reduce leaks and rattles for front doors and rear gate
  • JT Outfitters Header and Remflex gasket to replace cracked exhaust manifold
  • Went to a Weber carb with the header, but OEM Aisan will be included.
  • Used OEM Toyota muffler and exhaust pipe
  • 5 new BF Goodrich TA KO2 33” tires
  • Rebuild rear wheel cylinders
  • OEM defrost vent tubing
  • Core out radiator and replaced thermostat
  • Added coolant overflow bottle
  • Replaced 4 blade metal fan with a 6 blade plastic. Will include the OEM 4 blade.
  • Replaced transfer shift valve – Vacuum 4wd works as it should now
  • Heater core replaced with Cityracer unit
  • New Plugs and Wires
  • New old distributor and points
  • Oil and filter change
  • Fuel filter change
  • New fuel sending unit so you can tell how much gas is left – it likes gas.
  • New voltage regulator
  • Mounted up OEM reflectors where missing

Probably other little stuff I’m forgetting, It’s over 50 years old, so there’s always a little tinker here and there to do.

Some rust in common spaces – Rear Sill, Driver rocker panel. It isn’t a show truck, it’s an honest enjoyable driver that will sit at 65mph all day long (between gas stops)

IMG_4050.png

Easily passes Texas state inspection

Transfer case has a little seep of gear oil and the steering box looks like it has some too. I’ve never addressed these leaks as I only needed to top it off once in the 2 years I’ve owned the truck.

Headliner isn’t in perfect shape. The cargo area has surface rust where paint is worn shown in photos.

Such a cool truck, neighbors don’t mind if it’s pulled in the yard for photos
IMG_4046.png

Last edited:
More Photos in increment of 5 at a time:
IMG_4047.png

IMG_4052.jpg

Zoom in on the problem area of rear sill:
IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg
IMG_4067.jpg

Let's show off the engine bay - Weber carb with header. The windshield washer motor / bottle are missing - was never there when I bought it. Wires are present
IMG_4059.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

Dash shots - I believe this is an aftermarket dash cap:
IMG_4061.jpg
IMG_4063.jpg

I've put over 7k miles in the 2 years I've owned the truck
IMG_4064.jpg

Headliner isn't perfect:
IMG_4065.jpg

Surface rust on the rear cargo visible below. I would wire wheel this and hit it with primer:
IMG_4066.jpg

link to cold start video:

If there are any requests or questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Love it. I'm afraid it won't last long enough for me to get my s*** together and make an offer. GLWS

More undercarriage photos, at some time in Viejos life she went under a restore and that’s kept her Chassis and body mostly rust free. She’s not a show truck, she’s the truck you want if you want to drive and have fun
FA44E089-15C7-4278-ABEA-EBBCD8EB3590.jpeg
FA44E089-15C7-4278-ABEA-EBBCD8EB3590.jpeg
67E57FF9-6D9F-4C6B-B84E-46230B6445BE.jpeg
C9C57B5B-4025-484F-B3A1-227CFCC9CF68.jpeg
5250ED90-273D-4324-9A82-7A2EFE8F43B2.jpeg
8DB9F141-2372-4206-A6EB-2AFCA72100AE.jpeg

I think she’d still win a few shows and hearts as she sits today

Great looking truck. Tempting. I've just started getting serious about looking for one again.

priced to sell. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom