Builds 1967 FJ45LPB resto-mod 1HDFT H55 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
New build just showed up at the shop. This is going to be a fun one!

3B4A0B09-C6D4-4D4C-B6B6-9251B9804E14.jpeg
D380413E-72F1-4456-81C6-B18093941FF0.jpeg
1B3E1DEF-9428-455F-8DD4-A5B8D123F088.jpeg
F49A27EE-54A2-413C-874F-998B07A18472.jpeg
4B84BCEB-19E4-49A7-8CC1-16156DB41700.jpeg

I just looked it over pretty quick, seems pretty much all original. Been painted before, not the best job. Rust, rot and bondo doesn’t seem to terrible.

Transmission is not happy at all nor is the engine. Carb is in bad shape. Brakes barely work but hey it does run and kind of drive!

More to come!

Cheers

I don’t know much of it’s history other than it’s been in Wyoming for awhile, maybe all these years.

For those of you who think these should all stay original and be restored, I hear ya for sure but that is not what this build will be. You may find comfort in knowing though that we will not be tossing the original engine or trans, it will be kept just in case 30yrs from now somebody wants to take this back to stock.

First order of business is axles, suspension, brakes and steering. The owner had bought the dreaded MAF shackle reversal kit and some OME lifted leaves. He wants 4” or so of lift and 35’s. I am steering him hard towards SoA on these old leaves. Power steering, I would like to see FJ60 stuff go in but it may get a Saginaw kit. Unknown at this time.

Cheers

Boy I think I’d upgrade the brakes put power steering on and call that one done. Nice truck!

Unless you a climate the brake shoes will get wet wouldn't bother upgrading the brakes. Survived over fifty years with the original brakes see no reason to change them. Once I spent the time really going thru my 68 FJ40 brakes could hit the pedal once and without holding the wheel would lock all four drums and never hear either way.

:popcorn: This should be a nice project
JP

And so it begins....

3EC0D996-14FF-4633-B0F1-B6C9B3F0567F.jpeg

Regardless of what this gets built into guys it needs some love. It barely runs and I can barely get around our parking lot and stop it.

Cheers

Still hard to see a survivor get modified, but I get it. @landcrusher909 this is your brother!!
Ha Ha Well I know just what he's going through. I heard the same stuff leave it original don't so this don't do that. Well as you know tens of thousands of miles later I am getting more enjoyment out of our 1967 FJ45 than ever. 4 trips cross country, tons of local wheeling adventures. @SNLC build it to meet your needs and enjoy it.

So guys/gals, I have worked it out with the owner and direction we are going.

-1HDFT from a 1995 Euro spec HDJ80 with Bad Boy GTurbo running 27psi. Engine has 105,000 miles and great compression so not opening it up. GTurbo doing up the injection pump as well to suit 250rwhp.

-5spd H55 from a 1HZ. Running a NPC 300mm clutch and billet flywheel.

-38mm FJ60 splitcase from an 87.

-Spring over axle, building our own leaf packs, RuffStuff rear traction bar. 35” rubber.

-FZJ80 steering box, rebuilt by Redhead Steering boxes. Marlin high steer kit with upgraded trunions and a Marlink.

-FJ60 disc brakes in front, remanned Toyota calipers and Terrain Tamer rotors.

-70-series full float rear axle. Retaining the drums and e-brake.

-Harrop Elockers front & rear, Nitro 4.10 gears.

That’s most of it and about it really. We are not going to cut it up or modify it to much. It should be relatively easy to take back to original. We will be keeping all the original gear for this purpose.

I went over the body last night, it truly is in outstanding condition. Probably the best body I have ever seen on a 45 that is unrestored.

Cheers

Last edited:
One issue Ian: split case will not mate to H151F. Never a combination from Toyota, thus no OEM way to mate then.

For PnP, It will need to be an HF1A/HF2A/HF2AV transfer case option.

HTH. Cool build!

One issue Ian: split case will not mate to H151F. Never a combination from Toyota, thus no OEM way to mate then.

For PnP, It will need to be an HF1A/HF2A/HF2AV transfer case option.

HTH. Cool build!

Ya I was thinking more h55 for several reasons just don’t know engine side of doing that, yet.

And on that note, H55 did come behind the 1HZ. Split case is what we want to run in my opinion using the 45 axles. Not to mention it’s simple, strong, cost effective and readily available with upgrades.

Cheers

Last edited:
H55 will be a direct fit to the engine using 1HZ-H55 bellhousing. Then you can use split case.

:)

Thank you senior Land Cruiser encyclopedia! Sure miss ya from the game!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom