1965 FJ45 LPB ** should I add Per Tronix / DUI Distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great topic timing!

I JUST, today, pulled trigger buy button for the DUI hei distributor 80828 and 8mm Livewires designed for the 6cyl F. Davis Unified Ignition 80820RD Davis Unified Ignition Toyota Street/Strip D.U.I. Distributors | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DUI-80820RD

There's a few options on distributors , and a few reasons for each. Would love to hear everyones opinion.

I have a 68 F with stock distributor, points. I live at 8000', have trails less than a half hour from me that can get down to 4000', and up well above 10500'. Motor is tuned very nicely for 8k so is dreamy driving around town. Go up or down too much and the carb gets anemic or flooded. Facts of attitude and jetting. Im new to the FJ club as ive only had mine for last couple years, bit ive been an 80's mini yota addict since the 80s😅. I love the wheeling simplicity of EFI in the altitude and inclines.
So MY plan is to slowly build my rig to support, and run, a Holley Sniper EFI kit. (once i can afford it). That is one reason to run an upgraded distributor.
I hope my choice fits the bill well. Mosley Motors uses them in their Sniper conversions.

The Davis Distributor isn't cheap, may not be the best?, but it isn't the most expensive option either.
It has coil built in... i like that!
Is designed for the yota, and has modified ignition curve.
You widen plug gap for hotter spark
waterproof
no points to maintain

The other EFI option, and best maybe? would be the Redline 2F distributor that has a modified curve to run hotter, they do the points conversion and tune it for you in-house. Plug n play OEM yota design and reliability. Costs more than double the DUI, and why i didn't choose this route.

Other upgrade option- do your own pertronix points conversion on your stock dizzy, and tune to your liking.

If i lived at a consistent altitude, was a yota PURIST, and didn't mind the maintenance required of a points system...... id keep it stock. Mine has worked for 55 years now😂😂. Tried and true. Just not adequate for crawling or elevation changes.

I did the Pertronix kit with the pertronix flame thrower coil. It works great, easy swap out of the points and you would not know it’s there except for the wires to the dizzy. I have it on all of my 45’s. It’s nice not having to adjust points and having extra sets around.

I did the Pertronix kit with the pertronix flame thrower coil. It works great, easy swap out of the points and you would not know it’s there except for the wires to the dizzy. I have it on all of my 45’s. It’s nice not having to adjust points and having extra sets around.
Looking at this same setup for Lily.

Did you also do the Pertronix electronic ignition for your FJ45's Mark? Did you tie the new dizzy setup into the vacuum advance too?

I did, it was pretty easy and works great.

Thanks for the info. @zidaro it says the kit is for 1968 and up. Do you know if they have it also for a 1965?
Def. would want to contact Redline directly on that one. Im not savvy on year particulars

Def. would want to contact Redline directly on that one. Im not savvy on year particulars
Hear @65swb45 Mark has a ton of knowledge on these too. Bet he could answer the year question.

@65swb45 hey Mark, do you recommend Pertronix 91665A Igniter II or Pertronix 1665A Igniter I for the FJ45?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom